There are 236 users in the forums

Week 6 Buff Bills Coaches Film Analysis Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Heroism:
This is hilarious. Look how far downfield the guard is before he finds work. what the hell is O'Neil doing....

Totally reminiscent of the Browns defense last year, poor gap integrity, guys out of position, getting clobbered by the run.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Agreed, I too thought there was an open passing option on that play and thought, "well, can't complain, 29 yard gain".

Agree on the lateness of some of those throws. It's always been one of my complaints against him and I was looking for him to be more on-time in this game. It might be rust and not being used to the live-game speed. However, it's also something he's struggled with since 2012.
One such play that sticks in my mind was a swing to Davis in the left flat. It appeared obvious from the snap that was the play. Davis slipped out easily and was open all the way. CK looked at him and waited until he was near the sideline before gunning it to him. The location forced Davis to do a 180 and was unable to hold the ball on a difficult catch. Had that ball come out earlier Davis would have had time to put a move on an otherwise late arriving defender and pick up 5-8 yds.

Well, iirc, that was one where I didn't mind the timing of when it came out. If I'm thinking if the right play, I believe he had exhausted all options and made it to that throw.

One that sticks out most to me was a completion over the middle to Patton. From the film you could see Patton was open 1-2 seconds before the ball got there. CK extended the play to get it to him, but he didn't have to. The route was open in the drop.

It's those plays, where I want to see him move through those progressions quicker. I've said it for years now, he's not a one read qb, he's a slow read qb.
  • thl408
Here's Kap's 2nd scramble. Looking to see whether the scramble was warranted.

Fade-Out + Mills vs Cover 1 robber
Mills concept (orange + red) will act as a clearout for yellow.

Kap completes the play fake and looks right. My guess is towards the Out route by Kerley. BUF is running a T/E stunt (game) and the OLB is coming unblocked.

(same moment as above) Kerley has yet to break on his route and pressure is about to come.

Kap sees the unblocked rusher.

(same moment as above)

Kap took himself out of a throwing position by running to his left instead of shuffling to his left and keeping his non-throwing shoulder upfield. Had he shuffled, he may have been able to hit the Dig (Patton) because he did see it. Perhaps the robber/spy would have been in the passing lane anyways.

+11 yards. The unblocked rusher forced Kap to evade pressure.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Heroism:
This is hilarious. Look how far downfield the guard is before he finds work. what the hell is O'Neil doing....

Totally reminiscent of the Browns defense last year, poor gap integrity, guys out of position, getting clobbered by the run.

Just looks like everyone on defense is thoroughly confused. Just terrible scheme and terrible coaching.
  • thl408
Scramble #3

Right: Smash
Left: Levels
vs Cover 1 blitz
Cover 1 blitz leaves the shallow middle area of the field open.

Kap takes the snap, looks towards Levels, and sees the blitz.

(same moment as above). Patton is open, but not at the first down marker. It's 3rd & 9.

Defense blitz and is in man coverage. That means there is a big chance to scramble. Kap takes it. Had Kap stayed with the play, Vance becomes open for a first down.

Hard to say 'bad scramble' when the result it +29. Most other QBs need to stay with the play, but Kap's legs changes things.
Elephant in the room. so how did they give up 986 yards on the ground and can they fix it moving forward and how? Thx
  • thl408
Scramble #4

This is a variation of Y Cross, a flood concept out of the Air Raid playbook.
vs Cover1

Kap takes the snap and looks right. You can see the defender on Celek is taking outside leverage, which doesn't bode well for his Corner route.

(same moment as above)

Kap decides to move up the pocket and take off.

Had Kap stayed with the play, the 4th progression (Torrey's Dig) would have been the optimal target, but a scrambling lane presented itself.

In all of Kap's 4 scrambles, he moved the chains.
  • thl408
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Elephant in the room. so how did they give up 986 yards on the ground and can they fix it moving forward and how? Thx

The only way I see an improvement is if guys like DeFo and AA improve their game. I don't see some dramatic scheme change at this point. Guys like Bellore/Wilhoite/Dial/Dorsey are who they are and won't be improving much, maybe Dial.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
The only way I see an improvement is if guys like DeFo and AA improve their game. I don't see some dramatic scheme change at this point. Guys like Bellore/Wilhoite/Dial/Dorsey are who they are and won't be improving much, maybe Dial.

Dial and Dorsey need to see the field more to have an impact. Dorsey saw 24% of the snaps and Dial 47%. Buckner and AA both saw over 85% of the snaps and could be blamed as being part of the problem. M.Maiocco had former 49er Dennis Brown on his podcast this week and his analysis was that these two guys were not being prepared properly to play their roles on the D.Line. That they were making mistakes in execution that are excusable in college ball but in the NFL is leading them to miss plays, take poor angles, poor leverage...ect. That they are both helped and hindered by their height and without proper execution will continue to take themselves out of plays. Coaching is a serious issue on our Defense.
Originally posted by jcs:

Dial and Dorsey need to see the field more to have an impact. Dorsey saw 24% of the snaps and Dial 47%. Buckner and AA both saw over 85% of the snaps and could be blamed as being part of the problem. M.Maiocco had former 49er Dennis Brown on his podcast this week and his analysis was that these two guys were not being prepared properly to play their roles on the D.Line. That they were making mistakes in execution that are excusable in college ball but in the NFL is leading them to miss plays, take poor angles, poor leverage...ect. That they are both helped and hindered by their height and without proper execution will continue to take themselves out of plays. Coaching is a serious issue on our Defense.

Do you think that Biff could have coached them up any better had he not vacated his old job of DL coach?

Originally posted by sanjo49er:

You didn't know? O'Neal said it's the players fault that they do not know wtf they are doing. As soon as they figure that out, were good. But unfortunately the O'Neal playbook is written in Gaelic
This team just needs to draft a decent QB.
need the gif of Torrey Smith dogging it on the underthrow in the endzone from kaep
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Do you think that Biff could have coached them up any better had he not vacated his old job of DL coach?

Probably, has anyone done a decent analysis of the coaches Chip has hired outside of Oneil? Do these guys have proven track records as teachers or are we doomed to see Chip force unprepared and and untrained players out there week in,week out?
Originally posted by solidg2000:
This is Kap's first dropback of the game and it made me smh watching it live. Dropback, look around, look confused, take off scrambling. Same ol Kap. But this is why the TV broadcast doesn't tell the whole story.
Listed below are the progressions to my best guess. I might be wrong but, on this play, what I listed makes a lot of sense and Kap's head swivel jives with what's listed.
vs Cover 1 robber

As Kap executes the playfake, he's looking to Torrey's Go route. There isn't much separation there and the safety is looming overhead.

Kap then moves to the Sucker concept which is a High Low read (17 to 11). Both those routes are covered with a mess of defenders in the underneath middle of the field. It's the red defender that is the one defeating Kerley's Dig.

Kap moves to the 4th read - Vance's Corner route. The defender has outside leverage, attached to Vance's hip, and defeats the Corner.

Kap makes 4 reads then takes off. That's a good job of exhausting the play concepts. This scramble was justified.

He could have tossed over to Hyde, but if there's a scrambling lane, Kap's legs are a sufficient "checkdown". +5 yards, moves the chains. I'll try to show his other scrambles tonight.

Your right, the first 4 options were covered but Hyde was all alone. Throw to that check down and Hyde gets twice as many or more yards then Kaep

By the time he took off, it looked like Hyde was a yard or two behind him (at least from this angle). It's possible he couldn't see Hyde was there and assumed he got tangled up in the backfield.
Share 49ersWebzone