LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Week 6 Buff Bills Coaches Film Analysis Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Here's the miss to Torrey in the 3rd quarter.
Mills vs Quarters
Mills is very effective against Quarters. This is how Torrey scored against CAR. Blue safety will read the #2 WR (Kerley). If Kerley goes 'vertical', then blue will match.

Kerley goes vertical and blue matches. This removes any inside help that the the CB on Torrey might have had.

Kap mid windup.

Torrey is lazy out of his break. Had he gone hard, perhaps he has time to adjust. When watching it from the TV broadcast view, the entire path of the ball can be seen and it seems as though the ball quickly dies down (wind?). The gif is too choppy so I didn't post it.

Originally posted by thl408:
Some Torrey plays. Good to see him get targeted more often.
This is a staple Chip play.
Shallow Cross (red + yellow) + Curl-Flat (orange + green) vs Quarters

The strongside C/F defender sees Torrey break inside and gives the audible "Under", which alerts his team mate (!!) that a WR is dragging underneath.

The LB matches Torrey's drag and gets into a trail position. The mistake he makes is not being further from Torrey's upfield shoulder. He is too close to Torrey and gets near parallel with Torrey. When defending a drag, it's best to stay a bit further upfield because once the WR catches the pass, the WR needs to get upfield. Being further upfield would all the defender to take a better angle and attack downhill to make the tackle.

Once Torrey makes the catch, he can turn upfield and outrun the LB. gif]

I don't see why Torrey doesn't get at 4-5 of these a game. You waste his speed when it's just used as a vertical threat.

Did you see us use Torrey as a primary drag target in any more shallow cross or mesh concepts? If the answers is no, then IMO that's a problem.

Man this concept gets guys open for chip. Pretty much every game we see guys busting loose on this Chip staple.

[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 20, 2016 at 4:26 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's the very next play after the busted coverage I showed. No bust in coverage or technique, we just get out-played.

Right after the last play, Buffalo comes with another smash concept. This time, we're in man-coverage.

At the start, Reid is in good position. He's maintaining outside leverage with inside help.

Though, he's not fast enough to keep up with the WR who gets vertical and stacks him - he's now lost his outside leverage.

With the WR having stacked on Reid, he's clear to run to the corner of the endzone.

Taylor does do a good job of leading his receiver out and has good ball placement for a 30 yard TD.

jd, you touched on a lot of this above, but I wanted to add a little to this play because I wanted to show how it should have been played by Reid and compare it to Robinson (vs ARI).

Reid starts off having good positioning - outside leverage on the WR's hip. But the shot below shows the WR head faking towards the inside. Notice where Reid is with relation to the hash marks.

After the head fake is complete, now notice where Reid is. He is on top of the hash marks because he took some steps towards the middle of the field. There was no need to because Bethea is there. Now Reid has lost outside leverage.

Toast

Here is RRobsinson playing the route correctly as he understands he has help to the inside and does not fall for the headfake. RR isn't targeted, but if he was, he would have been all over it.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/186939-2016-week-arizona-cardinals-coaches-film-analysis-thread/page5/#post73
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
I don't see why Torrey doesn't get at 4-5 of these a game. You waste his speed when it's just used as a vertical threat.

Did you see us use Torrey as a primary drag target in any more shallow cross or mesh concepts? If the answers is no, then IMO that's a problem.

I don't recall many drag routes from Torrey since he's been split wide on the outside, not in the slot, which is Kerley's domain. Not too sure about that. I know Torrey has not been targeted on many drag routes this season though.
  • thl408
I know this is a bit too many highlights for a loss. What this thread should be full of is bad run defense, but we can see that from the TV view. This was imo Kap's best throw of the game.

Spot vs Cover2 Zone

Torrey's Curl holds the CB (blue) for Vance to attack the area behind him. This is basically Smash vs Cover2 Zone, which is a win for Smash.

Mid windup.

+19. Nice ball location to place it above the CB, in front of the safety, and towards the sideline.
keep in mind as the wind played a HUGEfactor and game planning and performance
Here's the miss to Torrey in the 3rd quarter.
Mills vs Quarters
Mills is very effective against Quarters. This is how Torrey scored against CAR. Blue safety will read the #2 WR (Kerley). If Kerley goes 'vertical', then blue will match.

Kerley goes vertical and blue matches. This removes any inside help that the the CB on Torrey might have had.

Kap mid windup.

Torrey is lazy out of his break. Had he gone hard, perhaps he has time to adjust. When watching it from the TV broadcast view, the entire path of the ball can be seen and it seems as though the ball quickly dies down (wind?). The gif is too choppy so I didn't post it.

Torrey definitely gave up on that route
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Torrey sometimes to me comes across as a little whiner.
He makes it seem like the play wasn't designed to go to him...and after a whole season of s**tty QB play... he wasn't expecting a 9er QB (Kap or Blaine) to even think of getting to him.

He just stopped running his route after taking up the CB. Like I did my job. You see it alot in the NFL.

But when your team is on a losing streak...and you're one of the few Vets... you can't be Randy Mossing it.

I know he must've felt embarrassed during the film session. Hopefully this lights a fire under his butt.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 21, 2016 at 1:44 AM ]

Originally posted by jonnydel:
On this play we had a MAJOR bust in coverage - actually, 2...

Here, you can see we're going to run cover 3 zone and Buf is going to run a smash+flood concept.

You see Brock jumps the curl route which totally vacates the deep zone for the corner route. Also, on the other side you see Robinson squaring up instead of running with the wheel route - almost like he expects the route to simply be an out route.

You see the TE running wide open down the field and Robinson's guy has gotten behind him. If Taylor had recognized either of these sooner, it's a TD.

Somehow both of our deep 1/3 corners get beat deep. I mean....I really doubt JoN calls a defense that allows for no one to defend the outside 3rds of the field. If you just saw this screen-grab you'd think Buffalo scored on this play, lol

Because Taylor is so late on his throw and puts so much air under it, the guy actually has to make an acrobatic catch right on the sideline. It's a miracle they didn't score on this play , though they beat us for a TD on the very next play running another smash concept....
I absolutely get Robinson's mistake. In a cover 3 any deep zone DB should be between his receiver and the endzone anytime.
But I don't get Brock's mistake. The curl-receiver was in his zone, therefore Brock reacted to that. The corner-receiver a) came in later and b) Brock was vertically stretched, i.e. had to make a decision anyway.
Does a DB has to have more patience here, i.e. stay deep for a longer period, NOT bail on a route/receiver immediately? Or what is your point with Brock here?
[ Edited by communist on Oct 21, 2016 at 4:57 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Can I get a look to the LEFT first? Maybe a pump fake to make the S bite? Then look back right and throw it deep to Torrey while the defenders are running the other way. Kap never does anything to help his receivers out.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Some Torrey plays. Good to see him get targeted more often.
This is a staple Chip play.
Shallow Cross (red + yellow) + Curl-Flat (orange + green) vs Quarters

The strongside C/F defender sees Torrey break inside and gives the audible "Under", which alerts his team mate (!!) that a WR is dragging underneath.

The LB matches Torrey's drag and gets into a trail position. The mistake he makes is not being further from Torrey's upfield shoulder. He is too close to Torrey and gets near parallel with Torrey. When defending a drag, it's best to stay a bit further upfield because once the WR catches the pass, the WR needs to get upfield. Being further upfield would all the defender to take a better angle and attack downhill to make the tackle.

Once Torrey makes the catch, he can turn upfield and outrun the LB. gif]

I said the same thing. Obviously, even with a lazy start, this play works...why not come back to it?
Originally posted by SoCold:

Can I get a look to the LEFT first? Maybe a pump fake to make the S bite? Then look back right and throw it deep to Torrey while the defenders are running the other way. Kap never does anything to help his receivers out.

Quality point. He's just never learned the nuances of the QB position...the "little" things that separate the great from the good/poor.
I felt his decision making - targeting the correct WR, justified scrambles - was good for someone with a long layoff. As examples, the overthrow to Draughn and Torrey that could have been TDs. There was also an overthrow to Kerley along the sideline that could have extended a drive in the 3rd quarter .Those were the correct decisions, but the throw was not good enough, whether due to inaccuracy or late timing, which made the passing window smaller and harder to complete.

All summer I claimed that Kap was not a good enough decision maker to operate Chip's offense. Over the past 2 seasons, he has shown to be slow, and occasionally incorrect with his targets. So I looked closely at that aspect, separating decision making from accuracy because the two are independent of one another imo. He had a good 1st half with inflated stats from the Patton sweeps that went into the boxscore as completions.

In the 3rd quarter, I only counted one 'bad decision' and it was on a non-throw where he didn't pull the trigger on a 3 step timing play, then got sacked for -1. There were a few plays where no separation resulted in incompletions, he had Torrey in the end zone on a Deep Post that was underthrown (good decision), on top of Torrey lollygagging out of his break. I didn't watch the 4th quarter because that was garbage.

Perhaps I put too much weight on decision making and not enough on timing/accuracy, since all three has to occur for a good QB play. I was just most interested in his ability to process the play and make the correct target since that was my reasoning for thinking he wouldn't succeed in this offense.

I don't know how others feel but this is the best angle IMHO. Like with Gabbert, we already knows he makes good decisions and is quick in his reads/release...I want the film that breaks down his weaknesses to see if he's getting better (feet/mechanics, looking beyond the dump offs, accuracy, etc.). Same concept here for Kaepernick...focus on his obvious weaknesses each week to see if he's getting any better/growing/learning.
Share 49ersWebzone