LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Week 1 2016 Rams Game coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
This was one play that on the broadcast I thought he missed his ball placement, but when I watched the film thought he actually placed the ball fairly well and protected Torrey from taking a huge hit or getting picked.
If he leads Torrey another 3-5 yards, Torrey might still make the catch but he'd get leveled by a safety attacking downhill. It's up to the QB and the WR to understand that small quiet area in front of the safety.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Cool down, BlaineBro. I'm just comparing how Kap handled pressure (first start, playoffs and SB) and how Gabbert seems to get the jitters.

Its not jitters. Its just how he is. Kaepernick is the same way in that reportedly everything clicks during practice sessions as Kurt Warner stated but once the game starts he reverts back to his old habits, to not being patient in the pocket, dropping his eyes towards the ground and hesitating on pulling the trigger if the WR hadnt broken completely open yet.

For all anyone here knows Gabbert might absolutely kill it in practice with outstanding footwork and always setting his feet before he throws but simply reverts back to what he is used to during games.

Muscle memory and habit are a b***h to overcome and top QBs like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers all still reportedly devoted tons of time to working on their footwork and constantly look to improve upon it to be prepared for any situation that may arise during a game.

In terms of seeing the field and overall awareness I think Gabbert is quite a bit better than Kaepernick. As jonnydel said, Gabbert appears to recognize what is going on, he adjusts to the defense as the game goes on but his lower body mechanics end up failing him far too often.

I think its at a point where its not likely that either Gabbert or Kaepernick overcome their particular issues.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 14, 2016 at 12:05 PM ]
There were at least three plays where Kenny Britt was wide open over the middle with no one within 5 yards of him.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Blaine has to make that throw to Smith. There was a large window to make it. As soon as Blaine would get into his windup, the CB would be assuming it is going to the route in front of him and taken more steps forward until he is able to read the trajectory of the ball to change direction toward Smith...would have been too late by then.

Safety was on top of it and a deep pass on 3rd and 9 had more risk than picking up the easy first down.

It wasn't a deep pass. Torrey stopped as if it was a back shoulder or go stop route.
  • thl408
Here is the second Rams drive which ended on a '3 and out'.
More split coverage from the safeties.

AA taking on two so Brooks can loop in. Sacked for -6.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
I dont chime in much, but i love the defensive breakdowns. I can watch offense and know what was meant to happen, and know if the play fell a part at the line.

Defense, i never learned coverage so when that goofs up i have no clue. And when the bow ray ray play is shown, you see bow breaking his assignment when he sees ray ray in his spot.

So in a nutshell, thank you for this.

+1
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
It wasn't a deep pass. Torrey stopped as if it was a back shoulder or go stop route.

They were on the wrong side of the field to be taking chances on 3rd and 9 the run was a good call to keep the chains moving and resetting the downs. That said on that gif it looked like the cb and the safety had a good jump on the rout 20+ yards out before he took off running from the 12 or so yard line.
  • thl408
This is the Rams third drive that also ended in a '3 and out'.

49ers show pressure with Brooks and Bow standing over the Guards. When Keenum sees this, he makes a few presnap checks (not shown).

Both Brooks and Bow bail out and it's just a three man rush. Brock reads the slant and attacks it hard.

Pass break up for Brock who was on point all night. JoN mixing it up. Incomplete. Punt.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think its at a point where its not likely that either Gabbert or Kaepernick overcome their particular issues.

Go Ponder!

Nice thread, guys.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Aaron Donald owns Beadles, so the play gets sped up. Patton runs a really sloppy route here. One, Patton cuts with his inside foot - no, no. Two, this causes his route to round off and he never turns the DB's hips who has inside leverage.

Gabbert actually places the ball very nicely against this coverage. With the corner breaking inside he throws it slightly behind Patton so he can turn and shield it from the defender. This is one of those nice plays from Gabs that only netted a few yards. But, he made the right read and had great ball placement against the coverage. Patton, on the other hand has got to learn to defeat man-coverage better than that and run sharper routes.

Thanks for your work, both you and thl408!
Great little snapshot and explanation of a poorly run route. That makes me ask the question: How in the hell do WRs at this level not understand how routes are run can effect the timing/success of a pass play? What do these guys do in the meeting rooms? Do the coaches break these down as you've done so well? I WANT ANSWERS!

• thl408
On the ensuing 49ers drive, this is Hyde's longest run of the day and shows how Chip with a mobile QB can make the zone read more effective. Not that we don't already know about this with Kap having the same effect.

All of what Chip wants from his running game is on display here as the 49ers spread the field 4 wide so that there is 6 in the box. Spread to run.

Read the key defender which allows the QB to "block" the DE. The blue DE respects Gabbert's mobility and does not crash down on the dive. BIG Brown with the down block.

Brown practically caves his side in. Gabbert holds the DE. Hyde gets low and gets lost behind the OL. Orange isn't sure where Hyde is going to pop out from.

Arm tackles don't bring down Hyde as he splits the DE and the orange defender. Every inch was needed from Gabbert holding the DE and Hyde freezing the orange LB.

+18
Not to sound like it's excusing Gabs, but that dirt-ball screen pass on 4th down, I think there was a timing issue between he and Draughn on the throw -

At the snap, Gabbert doesn't try and run any run-action fake. He simply grabs the ball, hops around and looks to throw. Draughn though tries to act like he's gonna run the ball.

Because of this, he steps right into the area Gabs wants to step into the throw. You see they nearly tripped over each other. With feet so close together, I think it caused Gab to not step into his throw right.

His shallow front step causes his balance to be slightly off, raising his front shoulder. A high front shoulder means you'll throw the ball low. It may be on Draughn, it may be on Gabs for trying to rush it too much - I could be way off base and it coulda just been a throw..... but, it's something I saw.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cortana49:
Thanks for your work, both you and thl408!
Great little snapshot and explanation of a poorly run route. That makes me ask the question: How in the hell do WRs at this level not understand how routes are run can effect the timing/success of a pass play? What do these guys do in the meeting rooms? Do the coaches break these down as you've done so well? I WANT ANSWERS!

This is not meant as an insult because the guy has passion and I like that about him but Patton plays like an idiot some times so I'm not surprised. Another example the move Donald did on him was calculated because Patton's been in the past easy to get rilled up and hit with dumb penalties. It also shows in this play how he played with heart but didn't run the rout right.

All this said he's probably our best run blocking wr so for the moment i'm glad he's there.
Here's a play where Buckner really shined: 13:34 2nd QTR(Thl if you wanna throw on a GIF :)))

Here, the Rams are gonna call a stretch zone play off-tackle. They have us out-manned on this side and should be able to bust a hole open.

The line fires out towards the zone play and you see the O-lineman trying to block their areas. Buckner does a great job of firing out low -tough for a tall guy.

here you see him doing a nice job of engaging the lineman but not letting him get his hands inside. He's gonna 2 gap really well here. He's riding the lineman towards the play, but keeping his eyes inside to watch the RB.

As the play develops you see he's got his hands right under the lineman's pads - he's won.

As the RB approaches, he flashes color inside, so Gurley goes outside.

This is what they mean when they say, "manhandled" a guy. As soon as he flashes color and see's gurley headed outside, he bench-presses his guy and sheds him.

Fully disengages and makes the tackle along with Harold. Great, great play by a 3-4 DE.

This play is sort of a chip staple from his Oregon days and early philly days. It's his vertical play. He adds in the flat and the PA. If I recall when foles went nuts vs Oakland a couple of years ago it was because they couldn't cover this play.
Share 49ersWebzone