LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 192 users in the forums

Week 1 2016 Rams Game coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
I would rather go chronological order but with the play above (Fade-Out) fresh in our mind, here is a very similar route concept versus the same coverage - same quarter, two drives later. Let's see if Blaine learns.
The Out route (red) is now a quick fake screen to the flat. This is to bait the CB to come forward and not gain any depth.
Versus Cover 2 Zone

The read is the same. If the CB gaints depth, throw the Out. If he is shallow throw it into the honey hole. The CB does not gain depth so the correct target is the Fade. It must be thrown on time and with proper placement. Too late or deep and the safety can come over to make a play.

Torrey's only positive catch of the game. +15

See the difference here from what I see is in the 1st example, the DB started to drop back, almost baiting Gabbert to throw the out route. And the short throw here protected Smith from getting KO'd too
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by thl408:
I don't think Patton was ever a poor route runner. He's always had good burst and some shake to him. His biggest problem imo is he can't fight off bump and run and gets rerouted easily when CBs get physical at the LoS. When he's given a free release, he's quick and fast enough to get separation.

This...he's always been a smooth route runner but like you said he has issues getting off the line with the bigger CBs. Needs to get a little stronger.

He's not quick or fast either. I actually think he'd be a really good slot WR b/c he has that feel in holes. But he's not fast enough outside to back CB's off and command a S over the top "just in case" and he's not quick enough or strong enough to beat jam press often. He's like the Tank Carradine of WR's.

I like him in the slot too because he's such a great blocker.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He was tied with Tavon Austin (2nd overall) in the 20 yard shuttle which shows he has explosion off the line. He was also tied for 13th in the 3 cone drill (good change of direction speed).

His issue is not being strong enough sometimes to beat the jam press (like you said) dudes got to hit the weights lol.

That was my point. Not quick enough to defeat man, not strong enough to beat jam, and not fast enough to back up CB's and command a S.

BUT...you line him up in space or on the move or from the slot, I think he could be effective.

But once Streater is ready, I'm guessing he'll take over around week 8. Kelly loves size.
Originally posted by All22:
I like him in the slot too because he's such a great blocker.

I think once we acquire that big body next year, having Patton as a #4 and shot WR with Kerley, would be excellent.
Originally posted by NCommand:
That was my point. Not quick enough to defeat man, not strong enough to beat jam, and not fast enough to back up CB's and command a S.

BUT...you line him up in space or on the move or from the slot, I think he could be effective.

But once Streater is ready, I'm guessing he'll take over around week 8. Kelly loves size.

I believe it was mostly strength for both. He seems to have worked on his hands as far as keeping the DB off his body, but still needs to work on it.
Share 49ersWebzone