LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Week 1 2016 Rams Game coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Threads like these and marvins is why thr webzone kicks arse. Keep up the great work fellas

• thl408
More odd coverages to show. Split coverages are where one side of the field is doing one thing and the other side is doing something else. Designed to confuse QBs. This is the Bow INT where the coverage didn't really play a part since Dial came with a ferocious bull rush and tipped the pass into the air.
Safeties aligned at different depths.

At the snap, RRobinson bails while Reid stays underneath. My guess is it's Cover2 on Bethea's side + "Inverted Cover2" on Reid's side. Inverted Cover2 is where the safety plays an underneath zone and the CB is assigned the deep 1/2 zone. So they essentially swap roles. It can be used to rob underneath routes which is what Reid is looking to do.

You can see Brock (top of screen) fake as though he's playing man as he turns and runs, then he let's the WR go by to take his zone.

Between this and AA putting him on skates earlier, the RG was not having a good game. Great push from Dial who had a strong game in run defense.
Originally posted by Niners816:

This play is sort of a chip staple from his Oregon days and early philly days. It's his vertical play. He adds in the flat and the PA. If I recall when foles went nuts vs Oakland a couple of years ago it was because they couldn't cover this play.

If Blaine fires that in cleaner, Torrey quite possibly could have had a chance to catch, hop to avoid safety and turn it up for a TD.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Threads like these and marvins is why thr webzone kicks arse. Keep up the great work fellas

So true.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's a play where Buckner really shined: 13:34 2nd QTR(Thl if you wanna throw on a GIF :)))

Here, the Rams are gonna call a stretch zone play off-tackle. They have us out-manned on this side and should be able to bust a hole open.

The line fires out towards the zone play and you see the O-lineman trying to block their areas. Buckner does a great job of firing out low -tough for a tall guy.

here you see him doing a nice job of engaging the lineman but not letting him get his hands inside. He's gonna 2 gap really well here. He's riding the lineman towards the play, but keeping his eyes inside to watch the RB.

As the play develops you see he's got his hands right under the lineman's pads - he's won.

As the RB approaches, he flashes color inside, so Gurley goes outside.

This is what they mean when they say, "manhandled" a guy. As soon as he flashes color and see's gurley headed outside, he bench-presses his guy and sheds him.

Fully disengages and makes the tackle along with Harold. Great, great play by a 3-4 DE.
The pics of DeFo having inside hand positioning are really nice. Eli did a nice job with containment too.
Originally posted by jcs:
This is not meant as an insult because the guy has passion and I like that about him but Patton plays like an idiot some times so I'm not surprised. Another example the move Donald did on him was calculated because Patton's been in the past easy to get rilled up and hit with dumb penalties. It also shows in this play how he played with heart but didn't run the rout right.

All this said he's probably our best run blocking wr so for the moment i'm glad he's there.

lol, wut? Donald was pissed off and boiling over, same with Barron. Those guys were just frustrated and losing it. There was no calculation involved. My guess is that Patton was talking mad s**t to Donald and that pushed him over the edge.

Earlier I saw one of the Rams DB's talking to Patton after a play and he just turned and pointed up at the scoreboard and walked away from him. Hopefully as time goes on he continues to respond in a similar fashion and not get into any physical altercations. In general the entire team appeared calm and collected although that is a lot easier when you're blowing the other team out I suppose.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Any chance you guys can post a breakdown of any plays that are not considered typical Chip Kelly offense? I think I saw someone posting on twitter that he had never seen Chip run the play that Hyde scored his first TD on, just curious if there are any more examples of plays that show Chip is developing his offense.

Ooooh, that's a hard one. I don't have my Kelly playbook in front of me(the one that I diagrammed out in the off-season, though it wasn't exhaustive). So, I can't really say. That play though, has been around the NFL for a long time. It's just a zone split or counter run. If you play Madden 17 or even 16, you can see the play art under, "inside zone-split"

Here it is in Madden - they don't draw the RB, coming back, but with an inside zone, it's up the RB to find the hole.

Here's an instance of the Packers running the same play - it's been in the league for a while. It was either Holmgren or Shanny that first ran it IIRC.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
lol, wut? Donald was pissed off and boiling over, same with Barron. Those guys were just frustrated and losing it. There was no calculation involved. My guess is that Patton was talking mad s**t to Donald and that pushed him over the edge.

Earlier I saw one of the Rams DB's talking to Patton after a play and he just turned and pointed up at the scoreboard and walked away from him. Hopefully as time goes on he continues to respond in a similar fashion and not get into any physical altercations. In general the entire team appeared calm and collected although that is a lot easier when you're blowing the other team out I suppose.

I am just assuming but it sure looked like he was picking on the one hothead on our O to poke at and Donald is a smart guy, something Young even emphasised.

Fisher teams IMO have been known for dirty play and combined with the famed Gregg Williams there at DC it wouldn't surprise me.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Any chance you guys can post a breakdown of any plays that are not considered typical Chip Kelly offense? I think I saw someone posting on twitter that he had never seen Chip run the play that Hyde scored his first TD on, just curious if there are any more examples of plays that show Chip is developing his offense.

Ooooh, that's a hard one. I don't have my Kelly playbook in front of me(the one that I diagrammed out in the off-season, though it wasn't exhaustive). So, I can't really say. That play though, has been around the NFL for a long time. It's just a zone split or counter run. If you play Madden 17 or even 16, you can see the play art under, "inside zone-split"

Here it is in Madden - they don't draw the RB, coming back, but with an inside zone, it's up the RB to find the hole.

Here's an instance of the Packers running the same play - it's been in the league for a while. It was either Holmgren or Shanny that first ran it IIRC.
Here is the TD run. There's some Counter action going on here.

Tiller with the kickout block on the force defender. Celek is actually leading through the hole, except he ends up just removing the defender from the hole completely. This play is more similar to the Redskins old school Counter Trey than it is Split zone imo.

This is Counter Trey how the 80s Redskins did it with two backside OL pulling. What the 49ers did above was pull two backside blockers - one OG + one TE.

This is split zone. Inside zone blocking with a pulling TE (VD) to execute the kickout block. I know it looks similar but just a subtle change regarding who is executing the kickout block can change the blocking scheme.
Damn, Staley was a beast blocking down the field. check him out on the TD blocking the safety

Celek also with a huge block on that play, and a pull by the RG s well. oh and LG too

4awesome blocks = TD
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 14, 2016 at 1:34 PM ]

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Are all of Chip's plays out of the shotgun ? I don't think I noticed any plays from center.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by susweel:
Are all of Chip's plays out of the shotgun ? I don't think I noticed any plays from center.

qb's aren't good enough to take snaps from center.

As far as I've seen watching philly games it's all shotgun...that's what you want for up tempo.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 14, 2016 at 1:37 PM ]

I profiled his offense over his Philly career and he was about 90-95% out of the gun.
  • thl408
The ensuing drive after Bow's INT. The 49ers are driving and face a 4th & 6. Chip said it was an easy decision to go for it in the postgame chat.

49ers stack their WRs and see that the Rams also stack/bunch their CBs. This shows man coverage.
vs Cover 1

It's important that Kerley stems his route outside to get the CB turned towards/facing the sidelines.

Kerley cuts back to the inside shoulder of the CB and wins inside positioning. Gabbert is mid windup.

Pass is well placed to the inside of Kerley. +18
Share 49ersWebzone