LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 233 users in the forums

CB would we be better with Ward at CB.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If we move Ward to CB and Brock to NB. Ward would be on the field more and Brock would be less likely to get injured. Brock has played the position before.
That wouldn't be such a bad idea but probably better if injuries were really bad and we didn't have solid depth like we do. Ward would make a solid CB and he's already a very solid slot but his playmaking ability is at safety first then slot then outside CB
Start:

CB: Dontae + Brock
Nickel: Cromartie + Tartt (Robber)
SCB: Reaser
S: Ward + Reid
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 12, 2016 at 7:59 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Start:

This right here
Start:

What happened to Acker? We don't know if Reaser can even play.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
Start:

If all these guys come into camp in shape and have a firm grasp of the playbook, do we even need to draft a CB? ...That Falcons game proved Cro and DJ can start if needed , Just think of how much more effective our CB's will be with a strong consistent pass rush ...adding teeth to the front 7 should be a top priority
That's the thing, is that i feel like we have a solid core of CB's, and drafting one isn't needed. there has to be a needle or 2 in this haystack.

I mean, we know if Brock can stay healthy, he can play.

it's figuring out the other corner, i'd like to see more of Reaser this season and definitely Cromartie.

Dontae Johnson just looks like a superstar to me, but i'm not sure if he just hasn't gotten the opportunity or if he just hasn't performed well.

Point is, we got question marks on a lot of CB's on this roster, and we need to see what they can do before we invest in any others.
[ Edited by PopTartt29 on Apr 13, 2016 at 7:05 AM ]
It's crazy to think though, this is one of our deepest positions on the roster. including the Safety's.

Ive always felt like Ward could take over for Reid at FS at some point if Reid doesn't perform or avoids any future concussions.
I'd like to see DJ and Brock on the outside with Ward in the nickle along with Reid/Tartt at safety....I think Brock is a FA after 2017 (wouldn't cost much in dead money if we let him go after this season) and if we can get someone like Sean Davis or Eric Murray in the mid rounds I'd be happy with that (let them learn for a year).

Both have length and size and both ran under a 4.5, there are some solid CBs in the mid rounds and I hope that's were we target one.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Start:

DJ and Brock will likely compete for one spot while the other is between Cro, Acker and Reaser compete for the other while Ward remains in the slot. In a perfect world IMO, Acker and DJ would win the jobs to be our starting corners.

I kinda liked Ward at Safety. Idk. 😎
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I kinda like CB who have played CB and are legit CB's.
If we move Ward to CB and Brock to NB. Ward would be on the field more and Brock would be less likely to get injured. Brock has played the position before.

That would be good if Brock went outside in the Nickel and Ward went to the slot, like Culliver used to, because Brock sucks inside.
Originally posted by PopTartt29:
That's the thing, is that i feel like we have a solid core of CB's, and drafting one isn't needed. there has to be a needle or 2 in this haystack.

I mean, we know if Brock can stay healthy, he can play.

it's figuring out the other corner, i'd like to see more of Reaser this season and definitely Cromartie.

Dontae Johnson just looks like a superstar to me, but i'm not sure if he just hasn't gotten the opportunity or if he just hasn't performed well.

Point is, we got question marks on a lot of CB's on this roster, and we need to see what they can do before we invest in any others.

This. I like our group and would love to see more of Johnson, Reaser and Cro
Start:

Acker will be in the mix as well outside and in nickel/dime.

The bottom line for me is that I want play-makers in the best spots. That puts Ward to S where all the action can be in front of him and he can be the play maker we saw on film in college. Playing in the slot, often times he's in trail mode with his back to the QB given his assignments. That's polar opposite of his best attributes and skill set.

Now, you have to consider that BOTH Trent and Chip love tall, physical, long, etc. CB's. That finally puts Dontae as a starter and potentially Cromartie. We saw how those two stifled Atlanta's WR's AND supported the run. Dynamic game. That said, the reason I give Brock the nod is b/c he's excellent in pattern matching and off coverages and under O'Neil, like with Fangio, we'll run quite a bit of those schemes as well. So he'll have his jam-receiver in Donate on one side and his off-coverage CB in Brock on the other. Brock can be pretty physical as well so the drop in his ability there compared to Cromartie isn't that high but it could be an open competition, indeed.

Reaser got time as the SCB last year, in nickel and dime and played exclusively in the SCB spot when Ward was moved back to SS. With his quickness and recovery speed, I saw an ideal fit for him there.

The rest of the DB's in Acker, Cromartie, Tartt (robber), draft picks, etc. can all compete for specialty roles in nickel and dime sets while also continue to grow and develop at other positions (i.e. outside CB and SS).
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 13, 2016 at 9:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone