There are 618 users in the forums
How many wins next year for Kelly's first season to be considered successful?
Shop Find 49ers gear online
How many wins next year for Kelly's first season to be considered successful?
Jan 15, 2016 at 3:57 AM
- Dr_Bill_Walsh
- Veteran
- Posts: 20,644
Sweep Seattle & Los Angeles
Jan 15, 2016 at 4:01 AM
- strickac
- Veteran
- Posts: 15,176
8
Jan 15, 2016 at 4:37 AM
- Truman49
- Veteran
- Posts: 165
With the depleted roster the 49ers have, I would be surprised at an 8-8 season. But I am not as concerned about our record in Kelly's first year, as I am about us being competitive every week. If we can be within 6 points in 14 of of our games, that would be. A huge improvement.
Jan 15, 2016 at 4:44 AM
- qnnhan7
- Veteran
- Posts: 35,178
They will lose and add guys in FA and the draft. Best answer at TC
Jan 15, 2016 at 4:46 AM
- Niners99
- Veteran
- Posts: 44,280
It will depend on how the offense looks. But, we managed 5 wins with the worst OL in football, a backup QB running the leagues worst offense, no Hyde, and a D that got absolutely shredded on the road.
All Kelly has to do move the offense up from worst to mid-range and we'll have 3 more wins at least.
Either way he will get time to change the culture. I think we get back to 10-11 wins in Chip's 2nd season.
All Kelly has to do move the offense up from worst to mid-range and we'll have 3 more wins at least.
Either way he will get time to change the culture. I think we get back to 10-11 wins in Chip's 2nd season.
Jan 15, 2016 at 4:57 AM
- Rubberneck36
- HOF
- Posts: 141,822
Haven't seen the draft. Haven't seen the FA signings. I can't say that right now. But success should be playoffs. You play the game to get a chance for a SB.
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Jan 15, 2016 at 4:57 AM ]
Jan 15, 2016 at 5:34 AM
- SoCold
- Hall of Dumb
- Posts: 133,138
New coaches, new system, new players. I think 8 wins in this div would be considered a plus.
Jan 15, 2016 at 5:53 AM
- InsertNameHere1
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,556
Originally posted by 9moon:if we stay healthy all year long, we can easily go 10 & 6!!!
I'm not so sure that I'd say easily.
Jan 15, 2016 at 6:08 AM
- lazy
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,687
8
Jan 15, 2016 at 6:13 AM
- TooSmooth49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 60
If we win 8 and we look like we are a team on the rise,especially offensively we average over 22 points a game after this year 14.9, i'll be happy.
Jan 15, 2016 at 6:32 AM
- RabidNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,322
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Playing a last place schedule with a coach who isn't completely brain dead? 9 wins, at least
I didn't take this into consideration. We may play 4th place teams in the NFC, but those 4th place teams are better than us. We are still in the NFC West. We also play the AFC East next season. New England? Buffalo? New York? Where will these 9 wins come from?
Cowboys, Bears, Bucs, Miami, Buffalo, Jets, and split our home/away games within the Division.
9 wins
Obviously, we'll drop some easy ones and win some difficult ones. But ultimately we should be able to win 9 games, IMO.
Jan 15, 2016 at 9:47 AM
- TonyStarks
- Veteran
- Posts: 62,978
I'm worried about tha drama.
Anything above 8 wins is needed.
Anything above 8 wins is needed.
Jan 15, 2016 at 9:57 AM
- crake49
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,201
I think the mean value over the history of first year coaches is something like 7.5 wins.
To me, 'successful' would have to be better than the mean, so I'm going to say 9 or 10 wins.
To me, 'successful' would have to be better than the mean, so I'm going to say 9 or 10 wins.
Jan 15, 2016 at 11:59 AM
- LifelongNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,755
When you have a terrible team, you can't look at the record.
I would look at the following things
1) How prepared is the team on a week to week basis? Do we start sluggish or do we come out firing?
2) How do we come out during the second half?
3) Do individual players and the team show improvement as the season goes along?
4) Are we competitive? How close are the losses?
5) Player body language
6) Player development
All of the above and more would add up to a "better" overall team IMO, even if we are somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8 with our record.
I would look at the following things
1) How prepared is the team on a week to week basis? Do we start sluggish or do we come out firing?
2) How do we come out during the second half?
3) Do individual players and the team show improvement as the season goes along?
4) Are we competitive? How close are the losses?
5) Player body language
6) Player development
All of the above and more would add up to a "better" overall team IMO, even if we are somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8 with our record.
Jan 15, 2016 at 12:01 PM
- Antix
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,939
8 or 9. Improved offense. Conpete in division and beat Seattle. Id be estatic if all that happened.