There are 198 users in the forums

Should Levi's go to artificial turf?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We should. We had from jan to fix the turf

We have no idea wtf we are doing apparently and thus should install the best turf there is.
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:00 AM ]
It is definitely not cheap. I had posted before about being involved in the irrigation system they installed. They had a specifier go with a newer type of grass that is supposed to hold up better. They used a very high priced firm in Arizona for design and paid a lot for the actual turf and base material. The blaming York thing is ludicrous. There is more than likely a lot of behind the scenes things going on with many entities with blame being shifted from one to the other. Now I will agree that they need to quickly find a solution. But the best solution would be pulling all of the base material and then starting over, which is not feasible when they have events. The new regs on water use, drainage, etc have made this a quagmire (pun intended).

You are all failing to grasp the concept! Levi's will be the only "loose-sod" field in the NFL...Home Field Advantage!

Seriously, new stadiums often take a few years to find the right sod. Candlestick has a serious problem but they brought people in from all around the country to examine and determined a way to deal with the high water table and drainage. It may also be a matter of controlling out of season events...putting protective tarps or pads on the field, directing heavy traffic areas or spreading them out, stopping events earlier before TC or the season. Having practice on the home field is a luxury that not many teams have or use.

Are there more injuries on artificial surfaces? If so, why switch? Because it looks bad?

Thanks uba...I posted before seeing your post! Accusing this team's ownership of being cheap is just a knee jerk reaction that is getting old.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:11 AM ]
Originally posted by ubaisore:
It is definitely not cheap. I had posted before about being involved in the irrigation system they installed. They had a specifier go with a newer type of grass that is supposed to hold up better. They used a very high priced firm in Arizona for design and paid a lot for the actual turf and base material. The blaming York thing is ludicrous. There is more than likely a lot of behind the scenes things going on with many entities with blame being shifted from one to the other. Now I will agree that they need to quickly find a solution. But the best solution would be pulling all of the base material and then starting over, which is not feasible when they have events. The new regs on water use, drainage, etc have made this a quagmire (pun intended).

I dont blame York, he is trusting others who know what thier doing... if the employes dont fix it then York will hire new ones
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i was nuts about two hours ago with this topic., now that i have had my morning cherry mountain dew, I have calmed down a bit. coach said they were going to work on the field all saturday night, so I am willing to give them a second chance today , however if i hear that the team has to move to a different practice field today cuz the turf is still f**ked up, I will go nuts again and all the cherry mt dew in the world will not stop it
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Constantine:
No, I believe turf causes more injures than grass

i think so and I think there is something to be said for having other events on it, but the grateful dead did a huge outdoor show in chicago this summer and you do not hear about field getting ripped up,,
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ubaisore:
well,, i think we know the only reason why some are using this to swipe at jed,,, however this is a concern and if you are in charge you have to take responsibility and get it fixed once and for all. you do not think the nfl is keeping an eye on this with the super bowl just around the corner
Originally posted by cciowa:
i was nuts about two hours ago with this topic., now that i have had my morning cherry mountain dew, I have calmed down a bit. coach said they were going to work on the field all saturday night, so I am willing to give them a second chance today , however if i hear that the team has to move to a different practice field today cuz the turf is still f**ked up, I will go nuts again and all the cherry mt dew in the world will not stop it

The field may not be the problem...might be the morning cherry mt dew! LOL! But I'm grouchy today because a new study says drining more than two cups of coffee in the morning may increase the odds of dementia in those 60+. Just great! Take away animal fat, dairy products, carbs, processed foods, fast foods...and now my pot or two of coffee!

In other words...don't care about the field until anew study comes out exonerating coffee!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:22 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

The field may not be the problem...might be the morning cherry mt dew! LOL! But I'm grouchy today because a new study says drining more than two cups of coffee in the morning may increase the odds of dementia in those 60+. Just great! Take away animal fat, dairy products, carbs, processed foods, fast foods...and now my pot or two of coffee!

In other words...don't care about the field until anew study comes out exonerating coffee!

until then go to cherry mt dew. i am having it lately cuz the local kwik trips are doing a 32 ounce fountain pop for 50 cents through august 13th,, then you can squirt your own cherry flavoring into it. i agree, lets see what the field is like today, lets see what the ol is like today on day two. overall i think the good reports on day way far outweighed the negatives. good stuff about bell the rookie and harold, usual stuff about gabbert. i think overall we are off to a good start considering no one wanted to play for us and we were going to be the only team not to have a coaching staff in place by the time the draft rolled around
until then go to cherry mt dew. i am having it lately cuz the local kwik trips are doing a 32 ounce fountain pop for 50 cents through august 13th,, then you can squirt your own cherry flavoring into it. i agree, lets see what the field is like today, lets see what the ol is like today on day two. overall i think the good reports on day way far outweighed the negatives. good stuff about bell the rookie and harold, usual stuff about gabbert. i think overall we are off to a good start considering no one wanted to play for us and we were going to be the only team not to have a coaching staff in place by the time the draft rolled around

Yes, spin move by Bowman is good news, Bell doing well is soooo nice to hear, and Harold being quick off the ball...I'm hyper about the season. I really like the Harold pick because the niners lacked that prototypical speed rusher off the edge. Aldon, Lynch and Brooks are more power guys who can still get after the ball, but not the speedster needed late in games. Wonder if we will see a four man rush this year of Harold, Aldon, Lynch and Brooks up front when teams are behind?

Armstead is another guy who looks to be in great shape and is doing well. Haven't heard much about Tartt yet but he may be the new Jeff Fuller for the defense. Still think of that guy often and hope he is doing well post football!

Maybe im old fastion... but when I played football we played on grass, muddy grass and in rain. Turff is taking away from natrul sports and from my understanding it causes more injurys. When players have to ajust to both terfs and change shoes it mess with thier ankles, knees and back. Say no to turf
Whatever works but artificial turf is very unforgiving compared to a good grass field. I played on dirt, snow, grass, weeds, dust, mud and two inches of water...water was the worst! By the end of the game everyone weighted about four hundred pounds and linemen looked like sumo wrestlers.
they need to do somehting, had all offseason to get this fixed
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Whatever works but artificial turf is very unforgiving compared to a good grass field. I played on dirt, snow, grass, weeds, dust, mud and two inches of water...water was the worst! By the end of the game everyone weighted about four hundred pounds and linemen looked like sumo wrestlers.

I agree, go natural, even if dirt is there, this is CA
[ Edited by Constantine on Aug 2, 2015 at 9:08 AM ]
The grass is s**t, and fixing it over night would be a miracle.
Share 49ersWebzone