LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 289 users in the forums

49ers 2015 Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
49ers 2015 best defense in the NFL everrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Originally posted by 9moon:
@ NC...

the 1st quesiton was "deepest position" - and my answer to that is OL

the most concerned - my answer was SECONDARY..

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I just realized this thread is about defense and my answers were stupid.

Which position do you think is the deepest? Outside Linebacker

Which position are you concerned with the most? Defensive End

Not NT?? C'mon thl this is Mangini's defense now and NOT Vic Fangio, didn't Mangini run more of a two-gap with his DL?? I just don't see any D-lineman that can last the season at NT along with playing a two-gap.

I don't know if Mangini ran a two gap NT. I would look more to his time in CLE and NYJ than I would with NE, but I have no idea because why would anyone watch CLE and NYJ games back then?

I have questions about DE because the 49ers lost two excellent run stopping DEs in Raymac and Justin and are replacing them with guys that have never been starters (I don't see Dockett as a starter). They might be able to do the job, but this will be their first season doing it. If they are running a two gap system with the NT, then yes I would some concern whether Ian/Dorsey can handle the task, but I am most concerned with DE.

The other piece to this mystery is how much the NT's will play under Mangini compared to Fangio. I believe under Fangio, it was only like 40%. Is that right?
Originally posted by NCommand:
@ NC...

the 1st quesiton was "deepest position" - and my answer to that is OL

the most concerned - my answer was SECONDARY..

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

We have a lot of body's on the OL, but that doesn't necessarily make it "deep". With the exception of Staley and Kilgore, there are a lot of questions about the OL.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
and you are picking the SECONDARY as the deepest position??

With the exception of Reid and Bethea, there are MORE questions about your SECONDARY than our OL..

You yourself couldn't even name the starting CBs right now..
and you are picking the SECONDARY as the deepest position??

With the exception of Reid and Bethea, there are MORE questions about your SECONDARY than our OL..

You yourself couldn't even name the starting CBs right now..

I feel a lot more confident about our secondary.

The same can also be said about the OL(name the starters)

We have above average safeties, with Reid and Bethea. When Brock is healthy he's pretty good. D.Johnson had a decent rookie year. Reaser and Acker are looking real good, by all accounts. Ward should be healthy this year too.

When you take all of that into account, with the fact that our pass rush will be a lot better, the secondary looks fine.

(I never said that the secondary was our deepest position anyways. I think that OLB is the deepest)
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I recall reading your post (pag 2 maybe) that you're choosing the secondary.. but that doesn't matter.. .

the point is, Johnson and Reaser and Acker have yet to start for more than 5 games.. that alone can not be counted against the experiences of our OL..

but that's just my opinion..
Well, look at it this way, our defense may be on the field for the same amount of time in 2016 as they were in 2015...but with more points on the board by our offense.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Well, look at it this way, our defense may be on the field for the same amount of time in 2016 as they were in 2015...but with more points on the board by our offense.

I think they should go hard after Wilkerson or Malik Jackson + Bruce Irvin. Fixing the pass rush will be so important for this team with Chip in charge.
Originally posted by Joecool:

This. Makes sense to me because there is no way this Kelly offense will not score.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I just realized this thread is about defense and my answers were stupid.

Which position do you think is the deepest? Outside Linebacker

Which position are you concerned with the most? Defensive End

Not NT?? C'mon thl this is Mangini's defense now and NOT Vic Fangio, didn't Mangini run more of a two-gap with his DL?? I just don't see any D-lineman that can last the season at NT along with playing a two-gap.

I don't know if Mangini ran a two gap NT. I would look more to his time in CLE and NYJ than I would with NE, but I have no idea because why would anyone watch CLE and NYJ games back then?

I have questions about DE because the 49ers lost two excellent run stopping DEs in Raymac and Justin and are replacing them with guys that have never been starters (I don't see Dockett as a starter). They might be able to do the job, but this will be their first season doing it. If they are running a two gap system with the NT, then yes I would some concern whether Ian/Dorsey can handle the task, but I am most concerned with DE.

The other piece to this mystery is how much the NT's will play under Mangini compared to Fangio. I believe under Fangio, it was only like 40%. Is that right?

Even less, 30% at least that's what Fangio said when we drafted ward.
Share 49ersWebzone