LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 325 users in the forums

49ers 2015 Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
I'm not worried about our defense. I wasn't worried about our defense last year with all the injuries. It's the offense that was holding this team back. More specifically, the offensive coaching was holding this team back.

ANY improvement on offense gets us back to the playoffs. Hopefully this year, though, the defense can play a little easier and get bailed out by the offense for a change.

Very correct. Our d will still be too ten and if the offense is even top 15 we are a 9-7 to 11-5 team
Originally posted by elguapo:
I'm not worried about our defense. I wasn't worried about our defense last year with all the injuries. It's the offense that was holding this team back. More specifically, the offensive coaching was holding this team back.

ANY improvement on offense gets us back to the playoffs. Hopefully this year, though, the defense can play a little easier and get bailed out by the offense for a change.

Very correct. Our d will still be too ten and if the offense is even top 15 we are a 9-7 to 11-5 team

Yeah, we were a top 5 defense last year and what, 25th on offense and still finished 8-8 with 19 players ending the year on I.R? Improvements in ANY of these areas could make all the difference in the world in 2015. And so far, so good (no injuries) with only real questions at the OL re: talent/personnel but the move to a ZBS could combat the losses of power OL. In a very good ZBS, often times you can just plug-n-play there and still be very successful.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
My expectations aren't high, maybe a top 20 defense. It's gonna be a long season if the NT position takes a hit with injuries. They had a chance to nail down the position with Wilfork being a free agent and the draft, still holding out hope for Dorsey and Ian Williams I guess. smh

I was hoping we'd pick up Terence Knighton. He was damn near unstoppable against the Hawks in a very lopsided SB.

I was hoping for Knighton too, I can't believe how cheap the Redskins signed him for 1 year 4 million, where the heck is the risk for that!!!

Dan Williams, Terrance Knighton and Vince Wilfork all on the market that came cheap. Not to mention Malcom Brown, Carl Davis and Eddie Goldman were right there for the taking. Wow!!!!

Totally agree.

It looks like we're going to a more one-gap attacking NT again. The great news is that 49ers.com noted that the most under-the-radar player thus far has been Ian Williams who's been ultra active this off season thus far. That's encouraging b/c 1) he's healthy now and 2) it affords Dorsey to get additional snaps at DE as well for depth while also competing with Williams at NT. Dorsey is healthy now too.
Originally posted by NCommand:
My expectations aren't high, maybe a top 20 defense. It's gonna be a long season if the NT position takes a hit with injuries. They had a chance to nail down the position with Wilfork being a free agent and the draft, still holding out hope for Dorsey and Ian Williams I guess. smh

The good news so far is that per 49ers.com staff, they had Ian Williams as the #1 under-the-radar player thus far.

Don't get me wrong I like Ian Williams and I think he has the potential to be a solid NT, but he just cannot stay healthy.

Yeah he or Dorsey...let's see if BOTH can stay healthy together this year...at the same time.
True and with a healthy Kilgore and fit Boone we are in good shape. For those of you that think losing AD to retirement hurts.....it does a little bit. However, since we basically played without him most of the year, and his replacement is better than Martin, it's a small upgrade.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Yeah I also thought Knighton made sense for us. Baalke and Jimmy T. must really like our D-Line when healthy. I would too but we haven't been able to stay relatively healthy in two years.

True. If healthy, I really like Ian Williams at NT. He's very underrated, just needs to stay healthy.

Same thing with Dorsey. He did a very good job at NT in 2013, so he could fill in there too. Should play well at DE in base defense this year.

Dial is a stud in the making imo. Absolute steal in the 5th round with his size and ability.

Yeah, I'm not worried about the DL at all. Tons and tons of talent and diversity and depth there. Soooo many directions Mangini can go there. Dial (ideal at LDE) and Carradine are very underrated here. Then you throw on a healthy Ian/Dorsey, plus Carradine and Dockett for pass rush, Dial and Dorsey and AA for run stuffing and tying up blockers, etc. Deep deep group and who knows how far Okoye has come...he'll get a legit shot this year too.
Ok so own Williams gets injured we have an equally great nt in Dorsey. If he gets injured dial played well. So we are stacked and covered against injuries. With dockett and tank our pass rush is improved but run d may take a hit, not a big one and pass rush IMO is a little more important than run d. Also with great safeties against the run and the best lb unit with aldon brooks lynch bowman wilhoite and even Eli Harold we are stacked.
Ok so own Williams gets injured we have an equally great nt in Dorsey. If he gets injured dial played well. So we are stacked and covered against injuries. With dockett and tank our pass rush is improved but run d may take a hit, not a big one and pass rush IMO is a little more important than run d. Also with great safeties against the run and the best lb unit with aldon brooks lynch bowman wilhoite and even Eli Harold we are stacked.

Bingo! On all points actually. TJE had to play significant time last year and was horrible against the run. AA basically, is replacing him. Should be a big upgrade.

And the experience Dial got on leverage at 6'6" to play NT will now be moved over to his natural position of LDE. He could have a monster year for us. He's incredible active and strong and expect some serious bull rushes and some knocked down passes. He and Brooks/Lynch could work very well off each other.
I think our only weak point is 2nd cb but aside from that, a healthy d will be top five again. We have great depth everywhere on d, even unproven cb depth
Yeah, I'm not worried about the DL at all. Tons and tons of talent and diversity and depth there. Soooo many directions Mangini can go there. Dial (ideal at LDE) and Carradine are very underrated here. Then you throw on a healthy Ian/Dorsey, plus Carradine and Dockett for pass rush, Dial and Dorsey and AA for run stuffing and tying up blockers, etc. Deep deep group and who knows how far Okoye has come...he'll get a legit shot this year too.

Also, IMO, Mangini will not stay pat if something isn't working.

He'll keep mixing it up and mixing it up until it works.

Moving players around, change up in schemes, giving younger players an opportunity to see the field - What ever it takes.

Also think Dial will have a monster season.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Also, IMO, Mangini will not stay pat if something isn't working.

He'll keep mixing it up and mixing it up until it works.

Moving players around, change up in schemes, giving younger players an opportunity to see the field - What ever it takes.

Also think Dial will have a monster season.

That's what I'm hoping as well...hoping anyhow.

Yeah, we were a top 5 defense last year and what, 25th on offense and still finished 8-8 with 19 players ending the year on I.R? Improvements in ANY of these areas could make all the difference in the world in 2015. And so far, so good (no injuries) with only real questions at the OL re: talent/personnel but the move to a ZBS could combat the losses of power OL. In a very good ZBS, often times you can just plug-n-play there and still be very successful.

If we had converted the qb sneak in the rams game and hadn't blown the chargers game, we would have been 10 and 6. Everything just went wrong last year.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:

If we had converted the qb sneak in the rams game and hadn't blown the chargers game, we would have been 10 and 6. Everything just went wrong last year.

I fully agree..

.. and don't forget about the game against the Bears, and the Cardinals... sigh.. easly coulda been 12-4...

last year, we didn't have that KILLER INTINCT as well...

and don't forget that our HC had lost interest on coaching the team the proper way.. . it was almost payback of how the ball bounced our way and we won games in JH's first year..
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:

I fully agree..

.. and don't forget about the game against the Bears, and the Cardinals... sigh.. easly coulda been 12-4...

last year, we didn't have that KILLER INTINCT as well...

and don't forget that our HC had lost interest on coaching the team the proper way.. . it was almost payback of how the ball bounced our way and we won games in JH's first year..
what did we have, six picks and still almost lost the giants game,, that is why i say we were worse than a 8-8 record indicated,,, new energy, people and ideas this year
Which position do you think is the deepest?

Which position are you concerned with the most?

I know that Wilhoite played a lot last year, and Bow is going to be back, but ILB worries me the most.

Our D-Line, CBs and OLB seem to be pretty stout.
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Jun 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone