There are 105 users in the forums

If he stays out of trouble will the 49ers pay to keep Aldon Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Ware left Dallas when he was 31 Smith is 25 big difference...

I never said anything about you thinking he should be cut, not sure where that's coming from. All I'm saying is there has been nothing but mutual interest from both parties to make Smith a Niner for a while. They won't have to cut half their vets to get a deal down....why would you think that? They have $34 million in cap space for 2016 and They could save a extra $7 million but letting Brooks go (which makes sense with Harold).

IF Baalke didn't think Smith was a legit top 5 pass rusher or they had a shot to resign him, you think he would still be on the team right now? I think he would have been sent packing awhile ago.

I'd rather resign Smith over VD and or Boone....pass rush is by far more important and what makes SF's defense go.

FYI probably a reason we didn't resign Cox,Culliver, or Iupati is because they plan on extending Smith...but that's just my two cents.

Ware didn't have the baggage that Aldon has, but your point is taken. Once again...it takes two to sign and Baalke isn't going to skew his salary schedule for one guy. Will he try to sign him? Sure.

They didn't sign Cox, Culliver or Iupati because all were over valued. The team felt they had players who could be equally effective for less. Now if the OL looks ever worse next year and they can't run at all...everyone will be bashing Baalke for letting Iupati and Gore go. Just part of the deal with being a GM...everyone thinks they could do it better.

I'll end this here because evidently we both believe Baalke will try to sign Smith and the only disagreement might be about just how reasonable everyone might be in negotiations. I hope you are correct that it's a done deal but I like to let the ink dry.

Ware was coming off injuries as well

I think they were over valued as well, but I'm sure he's weighing what their contracts would cost vs signing someone like Smith.

lol I mean I'm not saying it's a done deal, but I find it very hard to believe Baalke would let Smith walk after standing by his side for this long, the position he plays, and the success he has had when he was on the field.

time will tell

I think they were over valued as well, but I'm sure he's weighing what their contracts would cost vs signing someone like Smith.

lol I mean I'm not saying it's a done deal, but I find it very hard to believe Baalke would let Smith walk after standing by his side for this long, the position he plays, and the success he has had when he was on the field.

time will tell

We both hope he will be a 9er for a long time! So...
ditto that.

time will tell

We both hope he will be a 9er for a long time! So...
If Aldon stays out of trouble AND produces at a level similar to pre-2014, then yes he will be locked up. it's all about performance.
It's doubtful that he stays out of trouble. But if he does they need a contract with clauses for behavior. Like if he violates this, that and the other the contract is null and void. He has to keep it together to earn his contract 1 year at a time.
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I sure hope so. Elite pass russers are rare. If not it may be 25 years before they find the next one.That is the time between the drafting of Charles Haley and the drafting of Aldon. I don't know about you, but I can't name anyone in between them that fits that category (rental players don't count). B.Y. is the closest I that I can think of, but even him I'm not quite sure about.

BY should be in the HOF. Only 7 less sacks than Sapp and Young was a better all around player. Haley was our last truly great consistent pass rusher. If he wasn't getting a sack he was causing havoc. Although I would probably compare Aldon more to Fred Dean.

Agree about BY, and perhaps it will happen! Aldon is one of the new OLBs who is big and strong enough to play with his hand down and take on a double team, and quick enough to get around end. Lynch may be his equal and having both on this team is awesome. Brooks is a bit smaller but is also an excellent OLB and now adding Harold...Wow!

Fred Dean was 6'3" 230...so I don't see him in the same light as Aldon, except that he was incredibly strong for his size!
I didn't mean physically I was talking more about sack rate. Haley was very unique he might only have 8 sacks in a season but you wouldn't consider that a down year. Just because he was constantly in the backfield. He wouldn't have a sack but he would still be a difference maker. The guy must have been at the top of the league every year in hurries, pressures and knock downs.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's doubtful that he stays out of trouble. But if he does they need a contract with clauses for behavior. Like if he violates this, that and the other the contract is null and void. He has to keep it together to earn his contract 1 year at a time.
I agree and I can see this happening too. I would think the Niners would be silly not too?
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I agree and I can see this happening too. I would think the Niners would be silly not too?

I agree.
A comment about Aldon's troubles--they are not the team killing type of issues that some players demonstrate. He has been somewhat dumb but each issue has been different and silly other than his drunk driving...or drunk tree leaning. If he was a terrible locker room guy then fine, get rid of him. But by all accounts he is a good team mate. So when people talk about his having to be on his best behavior, I understand, but he hasn't beaten his girlfriend, killed someone, or sold heroin to a DEA agent.

The problem is not what kinds of problems he has but the fact he's not gotten to the point of one more mistake and he will be gone for a year and that effects the team. However I hope he's over it and I love Aldon Smith the player. He is ultra productive against Seattle which I really love. I just don't want to see him leave. Haley, Dean and Board were huge difference makers and so is Aldon.

Pay the man! (In 12 oz of Bottles of Bud Light).
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on May 11, 2015 at 6:15 PM ]
Hopefully as long as he plays better than last season.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I sure hope so. Elite pass russers are rare. If not it may be 25 years before they find the next one.That is the time between the drafting of Charles Haley and the drafting of Aldon. I don't know about you, but I can't name anyone in between them that fits that category (rental players don't count). B.Y. is the closest I that I can think of, but even him I'm not quite sure about.

BY should be in the HOF. Only 7 less sacks than Sapp and Young was a better all around player. Haley was our last truly great consistent pass rusher. If he wasn't getting a sack he was causing havoc. Although I would probably compare Aldon more to Fred Dean.

Sapp talked his way into the Hall. He was good for sure, and he was disruptive, but he was always in the public eye because he gave great sound bytes that idiot media members couldn't help but gobble up. It's a joke that sportswriters elect the HOF classes.
Yes agreed about Sapp. He played on awesome an defense with ends that could rush the passer and he was part of a SB team. He was talented but I never thought he was as talented as his career year in sacks would have suggested or his mouth would have suggested. One of my best friends was a friend of one of the players who played with him and not a lot of other players liked him on his own team. The other players said all he did was run his mouth in meetings, practice field, training room and locker room. Lol. BY was also on his way to a career year in sacks but suffered that devastating leg injury. He was still better than Sapp IMO.
Originally posted by insanemike27:
According to Matt Maiocco on FB with a fan Q&A says he does not believe the niners will resign Aldon. It really does seem like a catch 22 though. If Aldon relapses, he will be cut. If Aldon has a monster season he will chase the highest dollar amount in FA. I also doubt that they put the F tag on him. So Aldon Smith is most likely with another team come this time next year. Sad but probably true.

I just don't see them not resigning him...Baalke values pass rusher probably over just about any other position. I look at the draft and it kinda gives you an idea of who's in and who's out next year. Here's a article talking about why resigning him mid-season makes sense: http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/5/10/8581209/aldon-smith-ian-williams-contract-extension-49ers-2015

Tartt replaces Beatha in 2016 which would save SF $3.75 million, Eli replaces Brooks/Lemonier which would save over $7 million.

Plus according to over the cap SF has over $34 million in cap space before they remove the two I talked about above (so we'd be looking at over $44 million in cap space). http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

They have more than enough cap space to make it work...you don't let top pass rushers leave, it just doesn't happen ever.

I didn't know Maiocco thought that. What he thinks is irrelevant but I hope he isn't right. I know the 49ers like to sign their guys to team friendly deals before they hit FA but at some point your going to have a big star hit FA and you have to shell out some money. You can't let premium players walk especially a pass rusher. Maiocco bothers me though because he's around the team a lot so he does have some feel for how they may conduct business. Of course he did say he thought we would resign Gore and didn't so maybe he doesn't know as much as he thinks he might. Can't let Aldon walk because if he does and I'm Seattle I grab him. Aldon rushing and Sherman covering. He wouldn't have to hold anymore.
The problem is not what kinds of problems he has but the fact he's not gotten to the point of one more mistake and he will be gone for a year and that effects the team. However I hope he's over it and I love Aldon Smith the player. He is ultra productive against Seattle which I really love. I just don't want to see him leave. Haley, Dean and Board were huge difference makers and so is Aldon.

Not sure he hasn't figured it out...sure hope so. I understand that he is a dad now and is ready to settle down.
Share 49ersWebzone