There are 246 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Hmm

I like Barry's pedigree. I'm hoping he a good talent developer.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
We got a coach who teaches OL to hold more?? I like it!!

LOL. I'm in!

Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Still crying, huh?

Yup. REFS!!!!
who is butch berry?
Staley's already helping guys out.

Can we just hire him? I want someone with talent evaluation skills AND accountability in coaching up PP and RB.

[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 30, 2021 at 2:31 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Can we just hire him? I want someone with talent evaluation skills AND accountability in coaching up PP and RB.

Wow Staley for OLine coach please!
Originally posted by Giedi:

Was he the REAL reason McG looked like he was headed for a great career????

I buy it.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
But I'm asking for Alex Mack and a rookie, so my plan at center isn't breaking the bank. Its one thing to let Brunkskll and MM go for the starting spot. Its another to let Brunkskll have it (who is beating him out, Skule? Coleman?) and then who is behind him? Now of course if we draft Rashard Slater at 12, then its all good to me.

Yeah, I get it. I really like the Mack+Too C Rookie too.

Yeah, you have to think like this FO and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they made that Trenton Brown and DeForest Buckner move before the big pay day given how tight the cap is now.
I have a good feeling ShanaLynch will go against tradition and get a 1st round center. Its beginning to feel like a McGlinchy draft again because supposedly no worthy edge rushers available to be picked at the #12 spot. We shall see.

Id be pissed of we went edge at 12. I also don't think we need to go center that early either. Go OT/OG, corner, or trade back.
So it's clear we're doubling down with Jimmy.

Does this mean we're committed to fixing the OL? I hope so because I don't see any viable plan with a QB who isn't as evasive and mobile.

If we're staying pat at QB, ignoring improvements with PP is a recipe for another losing season and greater criticism of the FO and HC.

It's like a good part of this board was actually thinking that "Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson would've made plays behind our O-line unlike Jimmy" while absolving Russ of any responsibility for his poor play in the back half of the season.
[ Edited by grapesofrathman on Jan 31, 2021 at 9:53 AM ]

Niners would ignore this

Does this mean we're committed to fixing the OL? I hope so because I don't see any viable plan with a QB who isn't as evasive and mobile.

If we're staying pat at QB, ignoring improvements with PP is a recipe for another losing season and greater criticism of the FO and HC.

Has to be. Going into 2021, I'd like our depth chart to look like this:

Trent Williams/the winner of Shon Coleman & Justin Skule
Laken Tomlinson/Ben Garland
Alex Mack/Ben Garland/rookie C
Rashawn Slater/Colton McKivitz
Mike McGlinchey/Dan Brunskill

Perhaps we can even trade McGlinchey after next season if McKivitz takes a leap next season and we'd be comfortable with him starting at guard and we could move Slater to center.

The best thing about this is that we still will have a another 2nd and 3rd to address edge and corner, along with 6 other picks on day 3 of the draft.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Was he the REAL reason McG looked like he was headed for a great career????

I buy it.
But I'm asking for Alex Mack and a rookie, so my plan at center isn't breaking the bank. Its one thing to let Brunkskll and MM go for the starting spot. Its another to let Brunkskll have it (who is beating him out, Skule? Coleman?) and then who is behind him? Now of course if we draft Rashard Slater at 12, then its all good to me.

Yeah, I get it. I really like the Mack+Too C Rookie too.

Yeah, you have to think like this FO and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they made that Trenton Brown and DeForest Buckner move before the big pay day given how tight the cap is now.
I have a good feeling ShanaLynch will go against tradition and get a 1st round center. Its beginning to feel like a McGlinchy draft again because supposedly no worthy edge rushers available to be picked at the #12 spot. We shall see.

Id be pissed of we went edge at 12. I also don't think we need to go center that early either. Go OT/OG, corner, or trade back.

I agree. The draft nerds think we can get a Hyder 2.0 later in the draft (maybe thy are thinking 2nd round or 3rd round ) i'm there every day looking at their pass rusher posts. But if they do go OLine at #12, I'm perfectly happy with that, and I think that only happens if they can't get T.Williams signed up. And I think they know Jimmy's issue and will do everything this offseason to enhance his health. Point of fact, one of the first signings they did was J. Wilson to make sure Jimmy has a good health insurance policy in the backfield to help him out.

I believe (just conjecture) the loss of Bosa had a cascading injury effect on the team. Lose bosa, lose the ability to keep a lead, then you have to constantly pass to get the lead back, and hence Jimmy gets hurt because he's dropping back and passing too much. (or something like that) if we had Bosa, we keep a lead, and road grade the opposing team in the 4th quarter, and save our defense and offense from fatigue in the later half of games. I.e. the 4 minute offense in the 4th quarter where the defense is rested and the offense is taking the full 45 seconds to call a play and the opposing team is constantly calling time outs because they are behind.
I am fine with a starting OL of T.Williams-Tomlinson-Garland-Brunskill-McGlinchey, assuming we cut Richburg. We do need to draft a C early, who can battle Garland for that starting C spot.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Having seen ShanaLynch draft McGlinchy, I really like what most of the expert draft guys think about this guy named Slater. Very interesting player. They say if he's there at 12, he'll be picked if ShanaLynch is interested in protecting Jimmy. I agree with them. He looks to be an excellent player that would fit Kyle's zone schemes. Still learning about him though, but when most of the webzone draft experts agree, I start taking notice.

Has to be. Going into 2021, I'd like our depth chart to look like this:

Trent Williams/the winner of Shon Coleman & Justin Skule
Laken Tomlinson/Ben Garland
Alex Mack/Ben Garland/rookie C
Rashawn Slater/Colton McKivitz
Mike McGlinchey/Dan Brunskill

Perhaps we can even trade McGlinchey after next season if McKivitz takes a leap next season and we'd be comfortable with him starting at guard and we could move Slater to center.

The best thing about this is that we still will have a another 2nd and 3rd to address edge and corner, along with 6 other picks on day 3 of the draft.

This is what I'm hoping but also hoping McG gets it together and he becomes a keeper. McK I see more as a OG.

Hoping McGlinchey does too. I have McKivitz at RG backing up Slater on this depth chart.
whos our new oline coach? I thought I read somewhere our current one retired or left.... am i wrong ?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
whos our new oline coach? I thought I read somewhere our current one retired or left.... am i wrong ?

Barry spent last season as a senior analyst for Green Bay where he signed on ahead of the 2020 campaign. Prior to his stint with the Packers Barry was the offensive line coach at the University of Miami.
He made his coaching debut at Southwest Minnesota State in 2004 as their offensive line coach. From there he moved on to Michigan Tech in 2006 as an offensive line coach and eventually became their offensive coordinator. Then bounced to North Greenville University and back to Central Michigan where he played his college football and spent two years as a graduate assistant in 2002 and 2003.
Barry's NFL coaching debut came with the Buccaneers in 2015. He was the assistant OL coach for Tampa Bay for four years prior to taking the OL coach job with the University of Miami in 2019
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/29/49ers-offensive-line-coach-butch-barry-packers/
Are there any FA OLinemen who we could pursue?
Share 49ersWebzone