There are 258 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Linsley was a fifth round pick. Maybe we get lucky with one of our three 5th round picks in 2021?

If you look around the league, there are a lot of really good interior OL that were drafted on day 3. Some of the guys take a a long time to develop. Unfortunately, most teams don't have the system(ie scheme stability, coaching ability) in place or patience to properly develop the ones that can be developed.

This is the key point.

Go with the 3 prong approach like they did with LCB. Talented aging/breaking down veteran, higher draft capital and later round flier and see who rises to the top over the years. It went from Witherspoon to Moseley to Verrett.

You don't want to put yourself in position where you're actually relying on guys like Skule, Brunskill and McKivitz or you end up in the s**tstorm of pass protection we've had esp. in our system which seems to eat through OL like no other.

Agree. I think I'll modify that and just use that system for the center position. As you said Left Tackle and Center are key pieces in Kyle's OLine, Guards and Right Tackles are - in a sense - a dime a dozen. In other words, ShanaLynch's mistake was not having enough depth at the center position to have a viable center playing in Kyle's movement offense. As you said, draft a center, get a center via free agency, and maybe draft another OLine that can play center *and* other positions in the later rounds (or from the UDFA pool).
This one's for NY.

Let's see how it goes.

How much can a mobile QB make up for a talent deficiency?

Helps when the oline is allowed to hold free of penalty.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Can't support trading MM. As much as he regressed, he should have an opportunity to bounce back. The Brunkskll/MM battle for RT would be great. Draft a C of the future to groom behind Mack along with Slater in the first. Down for resigning Garland as well. The team would have starters and adequate depth. And I think they could really let Deebo and Aiyuk run loose for some deeper shots off playaction and longer passes in general.

I'm not proposing a trade for MM without seeing what he can do. I'm not for signing his 5th year option without a strong 2021 season. I'm only up for trading if Brunskill clearly beats him out of a position and then we'll see. I think if he gets beat out, his re-sign number comes way, way down and we don't run into the dilemma of having to pay top dollar to two tackles.

It's not about him bouncing back; it's getting value for him now before you have to pay him next year ALONG with Trent Williams pushing $20M especially if you can get a legit C in FA like Corey Linsley --- The Trenton Brown moneyball approach.

We simply can't afford two highly paid T's and a top paid C. C is much more important than RT in this system.

If we can acquire an outstanding center, this will at least slow pressure up the middle and handle much of the line calls that address protection. Today, for me, there's no difference between Brunskill and McG at RT - at least in PP. I say let them compete this year, ask Garland to play RG and he's the back-up at center. This way Brunskill can focus on what's he's good at - tackle or swing tackle. Shon Coleman comes off the bench in case Trent can't go. McKivitz, Skule and Grasu can get back to developing along with some infusion of draft picks to push everyone.

Great points all around!
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
This one's for NY.

Let's see how it goes.

Exactly. Mahomes is a superstar, so the OL will be allowed to hold.
Linsley was a fifth round pick. Maybe we get lucky with one of our three 5th round picks in 2021?

If you look around the league, there are a lot of really good interior OL that were drafted on day 3. Some of the guys take a a long time to develop. Unfortunately, most teams don't have the system(ie scheme stability, coaching ability) in place or patience to properly develop the ones that can be developed.

This is the key point.

Go with the 3 prong approach like they did with LCB. Talented aging/breaking down veteran, higher draft capital and later round flier and see who rises to the top over the years. It went from Witherspoon to Moseley to Verrett.

You don't want to put yourself in position where you're actually relying on guys like Skule, Brunskill and McKivitz or you end up in the s**tstorm of pass protection we've had esp. in our system which seems to eat through OL like no other.

Agree. I think I'll modify that and just use that system for the center position. As you said Left Tackle and Center are key pieces in Kyle's OLine, Guards and Right Tackles are - in a sense - a dime a dozen. In other words, ShanaLynch's mistake was not having enough depth at the center position to have a viable center playing in Kyle's movement offense. As you said, draft a center, get a center via free agency, and maybe draft another OLine that can play center *and* other positions in the later rounds (or from the UDFA pool).

Yeah, like with DT's, run blocking G's and RT's are a dime a dozen. Pass protectors, not so much. High level at both skill sets? Hard to find!
Typing out loud.

Cut Richburg. Resign Trent Williams. Sign Corey Linsley. Trade Mike McGlinchey (we can't afford two high priced T's going forward - the Trent Brown treatment). Draft a top G and T and Brunskill competes at RT.

PS: 5% chance Corey Linsley even gets to FA so your Mack and top draft pick at C is a great plan B.

LOL! Ambitious!

Corey will be a much tougher sign than Mack and can't see the Pack letting him walk without a bidding war, but who knows!

If we're going for "win now, win cheap-ish" we go after Mack. I don't know if you get good trade value for Mike on a down year and I'd be willing to let him prove he can beat out Brunskill, look better, maybe sing and trade picking up his 5th year option if he's not significantly better than Brunskill.

Plan C: In our attempt to trade for Stafford, we acquire another player if we package picks: Frank Ragnow. .01% chance of that happening.

Can't support trading MM. As much as he regressed, he should have an opportunity to bounce back. The Brunkskll/MM battle for RT would be great. Draft a C of the future to groom behind Mack along with Slater in the first. Down for resigning Garland as well. The team would have starters and adequate depth. And I think they could really let Deebo and Aiyuk run loose for some deeper shots off playaction and longer passes in general.

It's not about him bouncing back; it's getting value for him now before you have to pay him next year ALONG with Trent Williams pushing $20M especially if you can get a legit C in FA like Corey Linsley --- The Trenton Brown moneyball approach.

We simply can't afford two highly paid T's and a top paid C. C is much more important than RT in this system.

But I'm asking for Alex Mack and a rookie, so my plan at center isn't breaking the bank. Its one thing to let Brunkskll and MM go for the starting spot. Its another to let Brunkskll have it (who is beating him out, Skule? Coleman?) and then who is behind him? Now of course if we draft Rashard Slater at 12, then its all good to me.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

This is the key point.

Yeah, like with DT's, run blocking G's and RT's are a dime a dozen. Pass protectors, not so much. High level at both skill sets? Hard to find!
Agree. It also doesn't help that your best pass rusher can't tutor the OT's in pass protection drills because he's out with a knee injury.
But I'm asking for Alex Mack and a rookie, so my plan at center isn't breaking the bank. Its one thing to let Brunkskll and MM go for the starting spot. Its another to let Brunkskll have it (who is beating him out, Skule? Coleman?) and then who is behind him? Now of course if we draft Rashard Slater at 12, then its all good to me.

Yeah, I get it. I really like the Mack+Top C Rookie too.

Yeah, you have to think like this FO and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they made that Trenton Brown and DeForest Buckner move before the big pay day given how tight the cap is now.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 28, 2021 at 4:53 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah, I get it. I really like the Mack+Too C Rookie too.

Yeah, you have to think like this FO and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they made that Trenton Brown and DeForest Buckner move before the big pay day given how tight the cap is now.
I have a good feeling ShanaLynch will go against tradition and get a 1st round center. Its beginning to feel like a McGlinchy draft again because supposedly no worthy edge rushers available to be picked at the #12 spot. We shall see.

I have a good feeling ShanaLynch will go against tradition and get a 1st round center. Its beginning to feel like a McGlinchy draft again because supposedly no worthy edge rushers available to be picked at the #12 spot. We shall see.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

More changes on the OL coaching staff. Hmmmm.

Offensive Line - Chris Foerster
Offensive Line Assistant - Butch Barry & Zach Yenser
Offensive Assistant - Bobby Slowik & Patrick Hagedorn
We got a coach who teaches OL to hold more?? I like it!!
Hmm

I like Barry's pedigree. I'm hoping he a good talent developer.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
We got a coach who teaches OL to hold more?? I like it!!

LOL. I'm in!
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
This one's for NY.

Let's see how it goes.

Still crying, huh?
Share 49ersWebzone