There are 227 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Mr711
Tristin Wirfs sure would've been a nice pick ... put Kyle and John don't like dominating athletic OL
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MrNineSeven:
Tristin Wirfs sure would've been a nice pick ... put Kyle and John don't like dominating athletic OL

Small and athletic is the Shanahan style. I think it's fine. There are a lot of smaller OLinemen that are athletic than big athletic linemen. So that's good from a draft and talent acquisition standpoint. Downfield blocking is big in the Shanahan system, that's how all those Mostert and Breida breakaway runs happens - when there are a lot more offensive blockers downfield than defensive tacklers. I think the OLine is the hardest squad to build in a Shanahan offense. The WR's and TE's only have to worry about the QB, but the OLine squad have 4 other guys that they have to worry about being in synch with.
If I were Shanny, I'd start shopping and overpaying in draft picks for lineman under contract that have already been paid bonuses to keep cap hits down. Roll em in and lezzzgo
Originally posted by jonnydel:
If I were Shanny, I'd start shopping and overpaying in draft picks for lineman under contract that have already been paid bonuses to keep cap hits down. Roll em in and lezzzgo

This piques my interest
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by jonnydel:

This piques my interest

Same.

Especially with the possibility of losing Williams - which I think is at 60/40 stay/leave at this point.

I hope he chooses to stay, the 49ers have the cap space to pay if as long as it's not outrageous. (AB81 says so. )

There are some good free agent OLinemen that are being mentioned in the free agency threads - lets see what ShanaLynch comes up with in the free agency period.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
The Colts did it a few years back with Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith. They now have one of the best OL in the league.

Well if you can guarantee Slater is the next Quentin Nelson sure.
If the Niners re-sign Trent Williams, then it's all about getting a new C and RG. If they don't, Niners will have to consider Slater or Darrisaw at pick #12 to replace him.

The targets in this draft if Williams stay are pretty obvious. Slater is the top prospect because of his versatility to play anywhere along the line. At Center, it's guys like Creed Humphrey, Josh Myers, and Drake Jackson along with guys like Quinn Meinerz or Kendrick Green who can play both C and RG. At guard, its Wyatt Davis or Alijah Vera-Tuckers early with Trey Smith or Deonte Brown in the middle rounds because they've either regressed or need to get in better shape to play in the NFL.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
The Colts did it a few years back with Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith. They now have one of the best OL in the league.

I can guarantee you he's one of the top overall OL in this year's draft. Nelson is a generational player that don't come around too often.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

I can guarantee you he's one of the top overall OL in this year's draft. Nelson is a generational player that don't come around too often.

Slater is a versatil OL who can play OT or OG. Nelson was strictly an OG but an absolutly elite one. Best prospect since Zach Martin.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
If the Niners re-sign Trent Williams, then it's all about getting a new C and RG. If they don't, Niners will have to consider Slater or Darrisaw at pick #12 to replace him.

The targets in this draft if Williams stay are pretty obvious. Slater is the top prospect because of his versatility to play anywhere along the line. At Center, it's guys like Creed Humphrey, Josh Myers, and Drake Jackson along with guys like Quinn Meinerz or Kendrick Green who can play both C and RG. At guard, its Wyatt Davis or Alijah Vera-Tuckers early with Trey Smith or Deonte Brown in the middle rounds because they've either regressed or need to get in better shape to play in the NFL.

If they can't get Williams, I'm hoping they get some good young talented free agents like what Brunskill was. Apparently he did decent in his new position this year. Going into the 2021 draft, I'd like the OLine to be as settled as much as possible so that you can go BPA in those first couple of rounds in the draft.

So it's clear we're doubling down with Jimmy.

Does this mean we're committed to fixing the OL? I hope so because I don't see any viable plan with a QB who isn't as evasive and mobile.

If we're staying pat at QB, ignoring improvements with PP is a recipe for another losing season and greater criticism of the FO and HC.

That's what it looks like from up here in the cheap seats, also. I would hope that rather than "we're committed to fixing the OL", that instead,
after reviewing the yr, and reviewing the tape (ye gads who could forget this disaster)...that KS/JL realize what a dysfunctional, feckless , OL leads to.

Hopefully, their thinking changes some , so instead of getting guys who can Zone block, and then trying to teach them how to PP, they instead look for talented OLs that can PP and then teach them to ZB. If that should come to pass, i would be one happy fan.

Surely no one can review this yr and NOT come away thinking, "my Lord, how could we have become so inept on the OL," which includes backups and rotational guys who just couldn't cut the mustard. That is, in addition to the starters who couldn't block either. Also hopefully the absence of a high priced Center makes them think twice, maybe thrice, about not just talent but double down on good health, in addition .The Richburg thing was a flat out killer, and he was supposed to be anchoring the OL.

Between trades, FA, and draft this yr, but especially the former, if there is talent, then for heaven's sakes research the living heck out of health status of those OLs.(or DLs, CBs, et al)

Finally, if there is a hot shot talented FA, trade bait, or whatever, get 2nd and 3rd medical opinions on them and if there is even a teeny weeny hint of medical issues...DON"T take him. We cant' take another Dee Ford situation, either. To me this yr FA, trade and draft is all MEDICAL, MEDICAL, and then more MEDICAL. Sure we need talent, but if a guy has a hx or is nicked....PASS.
<blockquote class="quote">Originally posted by <strong>NinerGM</strong>:<br />
100% bud. Availability should be the number one factor for FA and draft.</blockquote>

Love the term Availability instead of healthy. Because if not available, then that guy can't help us, no matter how good he may be.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Does this mean we're committed to fixing the OL? I hope so because I don't see any viable plan with a QB who isn't as evasive and mobile.

If we're staying pat at QB, ignoring improvements with PP is a recipe for another losing season and greater criticism of the FO and HC.

That's what it looks like from up here in the cheap seats, also. I would hope that rather than "we're committed to fixing the OL", that instead,
after reviewing the yr, and reviewing the tape (ye gads who could forget this disaster)...that KS/JL realize what a dysfunctional, feckless , OL leads to.

Hopefully, their thinking changes some , so instead of getting guys who can Zone block, and then trying to teach them how to PP, they instead look for talented OLs that can PP and then teach them to ZB. If that should come to pass, i would be one happy fan.

Surely no one can review this yr and NOT come away thinking, "my Lord, how could we have become so inept on the OL," which includes backups and rotational guys who just couldn't cut the mustard. That is, in addition to the starters who couldn't block either. Also hopefully the absence of a high priced Center makes them think twice, maybe thrice, about not just talent but double down on good health, in addition .The Richburg thing was a flat out killer, and he was supposed to be anchoring the OL.

Between trades, FA, and draft this yr, but especially the former, if there is talent, then for heaven's sakes research the living heck out of health status of those OLs.(or DLs, CBs, et al)

Finally, if there is a hot shot talented FA, trade bait, or whatever, get 2nd and 3rd medical opinions on them and if there is even a teeny weeny hint of medical issues...DON"T take him. We cant' take another Dee Ford situation, either. To me this yr FA, trade and draft is all MEDICAL, MEDICAL, and then more MEDICAL. Sure we need talent, but if a guy has a hx or is nicked....PASS.

Excellent post paso!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Excellent post paso!

Agreed great post
Can we franchise tag Trent Williams? $14M tag is much lower than what these other OTs like Baktiari and Tunsil are getting. We can prioritize LT in the 2022 draft.

UPDATE: Nvm just saw an article that says we cant
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Feb 5, 2021 at 3:22 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone