There are 242 users in the forums

Has Baalke done a good job of getting some speed for this offense this offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has Baalke done a good job of getting some speed for this offense this offseason?

• SaksV
  • Veteran
We're not running the spread. Ellington, Torrey Smith, Simpson, hopefully healed Vernon, Reggie out the backfield is pretty good. I can see maybe one more athlete in the mold of Vernon Davis being brought in to compete with Vance McDonald and give Geep the ability to go back to some more 2TE1RB sets.
Torrey Smith, Jerome Simpson & now Reggie Bush all have good speed...so yeah, I think he's done a good job of adding it to the offense. Even with signing Bush, I'd expect him to draft another RB and most likely a WR, too, so those moves should add more speed.
Baalke Has even gotten us younger!
I like the Torrey and Bush signings. But 49ers need BEEF upfront both on offense and defense. Not to mention CBs but I've seen he's signed Shareece Wright CB and Chris Cook CB.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
focused on the run game doesn't mean rush it 45 times a game.
we need a BALANCED offense. we haven't have a balanced offense since 2012.
We need to be able to attack a defense any way possible and we could not do that in 2013 or 2014. now we have speed on the outside, a mismatch in vernon that teams can't concentrate on unless they want torrey smith to beat them. we have a work horse beast in hyde. a quick gasher in hunter and a back to exploit space in bush.

when we had vertical threats, kap was the most accurate vertical passer in the nfl.. we are a vertical offense once again.

I would like to see one more WR emerge as a downfield threat still yet though aside from Torrey and VD
1 more stud would do the trick but with torrey on the outside and vernon in line and especially if they put torrey on the weak side and vernon on the strong side.. you have to pay attention to both on every play. no more single high safety unless you want a touchdown right down the sidelines on you.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I like the Torrey and Bush signings. But 49ers need BEEF upfront both on offense and defense. Not to mention CBs but I've seen he's signed Shareece Wright CB and Chris Cook CB.

we've got beef. offensive line is going to be nasty again since it will be healthy. really nasty powerful zone blocking which will help pass protecting.

we've got beef. offensive line is going to be nasty again since it will be healthy. really nasty powerful zone blocking which will help pass protecting.

Beef?? Where? Staley got old fast, Boone is not anything special, AD cant stay healthy but is good when he is. and Marcus Martin is not nothing special imo. Kilgore was meh at best. And Brandon Thomas no one knows til we see him healthy and playing. Would like to see Balke add a Vet OG/T not Erik Pears.
None of this matters, if the play calling stays the way it has been over the last few years. The offense was mostly terrible due to the horrendous play calling, which includes taking advantage of the other team's misgivings (including tendencies as viewed on tape and injuries during the game) and making in game adjustments.

For all we liked about Harbaugh, I'm sorry but he awful at both of those during his years. Having so few TDs in the 2nd half of games should be a telling sign to the team's complete lack of being able to make in game adjustments.

Beef?? Where? Staley got old fast, Boone is not anything special, AD cant stay healthy but is good when he is. and Marcus Martin is not nothing special imo. Kilgore was meh at best. And Brandon Thomas no one knows til we see him healthy and playing. Would like to see Balke add a Vet OG/T not Erik Pears.
Why do you keeping saying this? It's not true at all.

If you include the 8 playoff games under Harbaugh. Davis made 72 consecutive starts from 2010 through 2013.
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 14, 2015 at 6:06 PM ]

Staley just made the pro bowl..and deservedly so.
Boone is better at tackle but pretty good working in tandem with AD
AD could not stay healthy for 1 season, does not mean it will continue to happen.
Kilgore was not meh at best, he was rock solid and an anchor, when he went down the line play decreased a lot.
and now we're going to the zbs which is what's more in line with the athletic abilities of the personnel we have.

Originally posted by deepniner:
None of this matters, if the play calling stays the way it has been over the last few years. T

It won't Geep is one of the many voices that Jim and Roman refused to listen to
Originally posted by SaksV:
We're not running the spread. Ellington, Torrey Smith, Simpson, hopefully healed Vernon, Reggie out the backfield is pretty good. I can see maybe one more athlete in the mold of Vernon Davis being brought in to compete with Vance McDonald and give Geep the ability to go back to some more 2TE1RB sets.

Yeah, also Carrier as well out of the H.
FA has been avg, except for Torrey Smith.

Lets are how the draft goes.

I hope he uses the picks to get a QB, WR and defensive backs. Lack of a proper backup for Kaep, and zero competition? ...players become lazy and they never give their best, basic human nature.
Originally posted by iLLEST209ER:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I thin we've already known how good Ballke really is.
Speed isn't necessarily what we need either. Smith filled that void, now he's got other tasks.

Yeah like finding another Patrick Willis and another Justin Smith.

As much as everyone loves Willis, he was basically a tackling machine but not a playmaker. Bowman is the playmaker and as long as he's still around, he can make Borland look like a superstar. Borland already looked damn good without Bowman, imagine what he can do with Bowman around. Bowman has made dudes like Larry Grant and Wilhoitte look like very good players when we all now they were both mediocre.

It hurts to lose Willis, but Borland is no slouch and will only get better with experience and an all-pro, MVP caliber player next to him.

Justin Smith, however, is going to hurt. Bad.
Roman and Coach Harbaugh take the blame for the lack of innovation and second half adjustments from 49er fans. This duo brought us to three straight NFC Championship games so something was working. The dysfunction from the top down and injuries played a significant role. The main issue continues to be the play of the QB. The organization tells us they will allow their QB to be outside the pocket and use his legs more. What happens when defenses shut that down, where is he then........................back in the pocket.
Share 49ersWebzone