LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 279 users in the forums

Projected to be 6.6MILL OVER next years cap,W/Willis,SteveJ,Brooks gone,wed have 15.5.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Willis and Gore will leave when they decide to retire
9 MILL is just sounding really nice to use elsewhere, when you have a stud young LB in the wings.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by Niners99:
So you dont think being the leader of the team and a pro bowl caliber player is worth 9 mil?

Your opinion is invalrod.

Thats extremely hard to say. I guess youd have to ask an NFL player. If you traded away Brooks,Willis&Stevie J. Youd be able to get starting DE to take over one of the DE spots&wouldnt worry about Justin Smith retiring(if he doesnt come back this season, which I think he will)&possibly Dez Bryant/Demaryius Thomas.

Then still have another draft to really build rest of team.

1) Brooks probably won't be traded. He'll be outright released.
2) Stevie was obtained for a 4th round pick and is likely no longer worth that in trade.
3) Willis is an aging LB and likely won't get a good pick for him.
4) There is no way in hell Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas will be 49ers. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the number of potential suitors they will have and how attractive a run-first offense will be to them.
5) I don't care what you get I the draft for any of those guys, you aren't replacing Justin Smith.
Re-sign Gore for a mill, save him for late stretch/playoff push. Im confident in Hyde/Hunter/Millard/Miller, possibly rookie if not Alfonso Smith/Gaskins making team.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
9 MILL is just sounding really nice to use elsewhere, when you have a stud young LB in the wings.

who has a small body of work, who does not have the leadership or saavy of willis nor the speed to cover people. and is coming off his own injurys. he is in a great spot, got some nfl seasoning last year and now will learn from the two best backers in the game. your logic is not sane in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Re-sign Gore for a mill, save him for late stretch/playoff push. Im confident in Hyde/Hunter/Millard/Miller, possibly rookie if not Alfonso Smith/Gaskins making team.

you really think this is madden, fantasy football or matell talking football don't you.. it has been reported gore wants four million.. i think we counter with three. you think you can sign gore to a million means you also think trading willis is a good idea
SmokeCrabtrees and Marvin:
A similar question for Aldon Smith. After he came back he did not get much done in reference to sacks. What caused him to not get that many sacks in the remaining part of the year? Is he losing a step, did he have different responsibilities, was the Cowboy not opening as many doors for him? Is he going to rebound or is he possibly tradebait? If we get in 2015 what we got in 2014, when he came back, is he worth a lot of money, or could we trade him and get another OLB that can get it done for us? I know that this is looking for a definitive answer for Smith's 2015 season but what is the consensus thinking on him at the moment?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Brooks probably won't be traded. He'll be outright released.
2) Stevie was obtained for a 4th round pick and is likely no longer worth that in trade.
3) Willis is an aging LB and likely won't get a good pick for him.
4) There is no way in hell Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas will be 49ers. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the number of potential suitors they will have and how attractive a run-first offense will be to them.
5) I don't care what you get I the draft for any of those guys, you aren't replacing Justin Smith.

So if we release brooks fine. Wed still save 6.5 mill. Stevie J though is gonna make 6.2 mill but a team wont be obligated to pay him anything to release him since hes on a contract year. Willis not sure what market is, but you could cut him as hard as that sounds and save 9 mill. I was just throwing an idea of Bryant/Thomas. But youd be able to afford them is what im saying. Bryant/Thomas,Boldin,rookie(possibly even trade up for Boldins successor),Ellington&Patton.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:21 PM ]

I see where you get that...and as I said you aren't the first person to bring it up...

...but some time players have big cap numbers for a reason. I like Borland as much as the next guy and he'll likely be a starter in the future...but Pat ain't done in SF yet. The young buck will have to wait his turn.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I see where you get that...and as I said you aren't the first person to bring it up...

...but some time players have big cap numbers for a reason. I like Borland as much as the next guy and he'll likely be a starter in the future...but Pat ain't done in SF yet. The young buck will have to wait his turn.
i bet the kid will see plenty of game time this next year even with willis and bowman back in the fold. he will learn from the best. what is there not to like about that scenario?

Originally posted by cciowa:

you really think this is madden, fantasy football or matell talking football don't you.. it has been reported gore wants four million.. i think we counter with three. you think you can sign gore to a million means you also think trading willis is a good idea

I wouldnt bring Gore back for no more then 2 mill tops, no way. If not, go young&draft another RB since you can get one in draft for REALLY good value these days.

Hyde is ready to get fed, im sensing a Garrison Hearst hunger/thirst/comeback from Hunter whose now in his prime. Plus Millard/Miller.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
A similar question for Aldon Smith. After he came back he did not get much done in reference to sacks. What caused him to not get that many sacks in the remaining part of the year? Is he losing a step, did he have different responsibilities, was the Cowboy not opening as many doors for him? Is he going to rebound or is he possibly tradebait? If we get in 2015 what we got in 2014, when he came back, is he worth a lot of money, or could we trade him and get another OLB that can get it done for us? I know that this is looking for a definitive answer for Smith's 2015 season but what is the consensus thinking on him at the moment?

Aldon is WAY too young to even be thinking about him "losing a step". His issue was just that he sat most of the year and they were kinda outta contention pretty quickly after he came back. Aldon will be fine.
Guys seriously... think outside the box. I LOVE Willis, I know what hes meant to the franchise. But you cannot effening tell me with the emergence of Borland&return of Bowman who was a better overall player than Willis(Even if marginal), with 9 MILL you could put that money towards more of an impact player.

Stop being delusional. Having 13.7 MILL tied up at ILB positions in a 3-4 isnt smart. Period. We need to strengthen other areas. Borlands a beast,we can draft another ILB if youre not comfortable with Wilhoite being able to fill in. Moody isnt bad on blitzing&good ST player.

You really aren't outside the box. You are far from the first person to make this suggestion.

First off Bowman is not better than Willis. He gets bigger numbers because he has different responsibilities.

"Not smart"? Seriously? Those guys are half of the best LB unit in the NFL and a big reason the team has been a contender for several years. 13.7 mil? That's NOTHING on a 143 mil cap...especially for players of that caliber. I know Borland has everyone excited and all and he's a very good player...but trading Willis would be stupid. Too much value to the team on the field and in the locker room.

this
Originally posted by cciowa:
i bet the kid will see plenty of game time this next year even with willis and bowman back in the fold. he will learn from the best. what is there not to like about that scenario?

Going for the gold,getting impact player(s) to put over the hump to win a championship. Especially if you do it smartly which were in perfect position to.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Aldon is WAY too young to even be thinking about him "losing a step". His issue was just that he sat most of the year and they were kinda outta contention pretty quickly after he came back. Aldon will be fine.
you may be right about aldon and his lack of production at the end of last year,,, this year there is no reason for him not to have a great year. i was so pissed at him at the end of the year when he was just invisible,, but again, there was alot of negative s**t going on with our team both on and of the field at the time
Share 49ersWebzone