LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 276 users in the forums

Is Eric Wright In the Dog House?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Very happy w/Bethea signing...he's productive (110 tackles last season) and also very smart. Only 13 penalties in the last 8 seasons...wow, that's amazing. Of those, only 3 were PF's...so although I'll miss Whitner's fire and leadership, I welcome a player who can get the job done and not hurt his team. He's gonna love playing behind our front 7, too. I see him and Reid as a dandy S tandem.

As for Wright, I'm glad he re-signed. He's a wily vet, and could provide some experience/leadership for our younger CB's. Would still like Baalke to bring Nolan Carroll on board...he's really just coming into his own and has very nice size (6-1, 205) to add to our secondary.

Agreed. Carroll would be the Cooper-make-up acquisition.
Who let the dawgz out?!?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Alright Maiocco tweeted it he's back.

Should be our #4 corner at worst. Will compete with a rookie and/or another vet for a chance at the #3 cb. I'm thinking we aren't done in FA we will probably just get another vet CB yet.

Brock, Culliver, Wright, Morris.... Could look like Brock, Culliver, 1st/2nd Rd pick vs Wright vs Vet, losers are 4 and 5, Morris 6. So if we can get 2-3 guys competing for #3 that will help us a lot in makings sure the best man wins.

Still only 27 and could become the next Brock, making a huge jump from year 1 to year 2. I wouldn't be surprised one bit esp. with a full off season/training camp coming up.

agreed and plus we dont know the status of Culliver and if he has worked on his ability to locate balls in the air. Wright will play with a chip on his shoulder for his childhood team. Honestly if he didnt get hurt at the beginning of the play-offs he should have been in over old man Rogers
Originally posted by SF9er05:

Should be our #4 corner at worst. Will compete with a rookie and/or another vet for a chance at the #3 cb. I'm thinking we aren't done in FA we will probably just get another vet CB yet.

Brock, Culliver, Wright, Morris.... Could look like Brock, Culliver, 1st/2nd Rd pick vs Wright vs Vet, losers are 4 and 5, Morris 6. So if we can get 2-3 guys competing for #3 that will help us a lot in makings sure the best man wins.

Still only 27 and could become the next Brock, making a huge jump from year 1 to year 2. I wouldn't be surprised one bit esp. with a full off season/training camp coming up.

agreed and plus we dont know the status of Culliver and if he has worked on his ability to locate balls in the air. Wright will play with a chip on his shoulder for his childhood team. Honestly if he didnt get hurt at the beginning of the play-offs he should have been in over old man Rogers

Totally...then again, I would have started Cox over Rogers as well esp. after the way he played in GB...that one is on the coaches and once again, it cost us.
Originally posted by SF9er05:

Totally...then again, I would have started Cox over Rogers as well esp. after the way he played in GB...that one is on the coaches and once again, it cost us.
Very true I would have put in Cox or Wright, and I wouldnt be adverse to bringing back Cox for competition however $ would be the issue.
Like this signing. CB will be picked in round 1/2 for sure!
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Do we know if Cooper is actually good yet though? I know he started out on fire but I seem to remember him getting torched in the second half of the season.

Glad be brought Wright back.
[ Edited by Disp on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM ]
Fom Wright's blog...

On his blog, Wright recently wrote that he'd benefit from a full offseason with the 49ers.

"I really appreciated the opportunity this year, but I think I could be even more valuable to the team starting a new season with them from the very beginning," Wright said. "Being with one team for offseason workouts and mini-camp, then trying to get acclimated to a new system at the end of training camp — that put me at a disadvantage for sure.

"You can't overstate the value of being able to have a full offseason with a team starting with mini-camp, then OTAs, offseason workouts, and then moving into training camp."
Good move for both parties.

He has an opportunity to FIGHT for a starting job. He'll have a full camp an d know the D so if he has the capability we'll find out.

Good for us to have a guy who knows the system and can come in and play on day 1.
Originally posted by Disp:

Do we know if Cooper is actually good yet though? I know he started out on fire but I seem to remember him getting torched in the second half of the season.

Glad be brought Wright back.

Hell yes he is! He put up better numbers than Brock did last year (as a reference). He had a couple rookie-bumps but overall, yes, he's off to a great start for his career. Hopefully for him he'll have staying-power.

Here's to another one of these "meh" FA pickups by Baalke that turns out Brock-like!

MODS,can we please change the title to Eric Wright Thread or Eric Wright Re-signs? Thank you.

And as for Wright he seems very intelligent and so humble to be with us. It really was a dream true unlike Brandon Jacobs who claimed to be a 49ers fan as a kid.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Hell yes he is! He put up better numbers than Brock did last year (as a reference).

Marcus Cooper? I think you should look again. Dude played great in the first half, but got absolutely shredded the entire second half of the season.
Guess not
Our secondary has become much faster by subtraction
Originally posted by Disp:
Hell yes he is! He put up better numbers than Brock did last year (as a reference).

Marcus Cooper? I think you should look again. Dude played great in the first half, but got absolutely shredded the entire second half of the season.

Yeah peyton made cooper look like a JUCO CB at best.
Share 49ersWebzone