LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 163 users in the forums

Kap or playcalling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kap or playcalling?

Originally posted by dfs144:
If the box is stacked to stop the run, then they need to take what the D gives them and get the passes out quick and hit those mid-range passes. That is the part of the blame that falls on Kap.

Because he's the one calling the plays right? For a time in the 3rd the 49ers were quick passing, then they went back to long dropbacks and trying to chuck it down the field.
last year Kap was making big time throws into space.. he would roll to the left or the right and make throws into space with receivers open.. now he is making throws behind the receivers for a quick 7-8 yards…
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
If the box is stacked to stop the run, then they need to take what the D gives them and get the passes out quick and hit those mid-range passes. That is the part of the blame that falls on Kap.

The problem with this is the personnel on the field buddy. Roman goes with a 2TE, 1WR, 2 back set almost all the time and who is your passing outlet? One of the TE's is our blocking TE and one of the backs is Bruce Miller as FB. So if Kap audibles out of a run play to a pass, his receiving options are effectively Boldin and Vernon who both get doubled...
Kaep is so overrated on the WZ.

~ Can't read the field.
~ Doesn't go through progressions.
~ Isn't accurate.
~ Doesn't get team up to line in time with clock running out.
Originally posted by Buchy:

The problem with this is the personnel on the field buddy. Roman goes with a 2TE, 1WR, 2 back set almost all the time and who is your passing outlet? One of the TE's is our blocking TE and one of the backs is Bruce Miller as FB. So if Kap audibles out of a run play to a pass, his receiving options are effectively Boldin and Vernon who both get doubled...

I totally agree with you on that. At least Kap will lower his bargaining for the contract talk.
Originally posted by wailers15:
dude it's not all on the play calling. man you guys on here look and sound like a bunch of b***hes..... obviously our o-line is a huge problem. if your qb has no pocket then what do you expect. yes kaep is missing some reads.. hell he is literally still a rook. it's going to take a while.
our d-line has lost the rush. brees had almost all damn day today. we are beating ourselves with mental miscues.
He's a third year pro that came into a coaching situation exponentially more favorable than almost all teams. He's not close to being a rookie. This is his third year in this offense. He should have it down pat.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
in colin kaepernick's first few games he destroyed defenses too. its because no one has film on tolzien cuz hes been a scrub all his life. give it time lol

So there was tons of tape on him when he was with the 49ers?

GB is a pass friendly team....

SF is not at least not right now...
Originally posted by Pinchi:
He's a third year pro that came into a coaching situation exponentially more favorable than almost all teams. He's not close to being a rookie. This is his third year in this offense. He should have it down pat.

And what mistakes are leading you to think he does not know the offense?

You think this is a well oiled machine that is purring along in perfection and Kap is the one fning it up?
Play-calling. Offensive coordinator needs to be fired while our we're still in a playoff hunt.
It's a long list of troubles. We can't stretch the field, because no one takes our WRs as a threat, Frank doesn't chew up 8 men in the box as well as he once did, We suffer from the mixed blessing of Mike Nolan's architecture, and we have a young QB. All of this keeps us from getting deep into the playbook we have seen the last two years.

Boldin has lost a step, and never was considered a deep threat in the first place, he is a possession tough yardage receiver, Mario is still wobbly, and Baldwin is raw. Teams can stuff the box, and roll up the corners without fear of being beaten over the top.

Frank is a beast, but an old beast, he is more and more becoming liability due to his one trick pony style, sadly he is our best offensive weapon. Frank Gore has never been an outside runner, but he could get there often enough when younger, but when was the last time Frank got the edge and broke one. He has never been a great receiver, but he managed to catch a few and do some damage. At this point in his career Frank is only a monster in the offset I-formation, with two TE, running ISO, one trick that consistently works, until it doesn't, like the last two weeks.

The O-line is a great big power blocking, group that Nolan and Singltary built to be physical with an F, they are fantastic, but like Frank or anyone for that matter, they do somethings better than others. They will never be dynamic in zone, or stretch blocking, and that is where guys like LMJ, and Hunter can really gash a team, power running does not seem to suit them. We are built more like the 90's Cowboys than the 80's Niners, so we need to continue in that direction, or blow up this amazing offensive line.

Kaep is raw, his touch passing, and ball handling skills are still a little sub-parr, his ability to take what the defense gives him is still developing, I think he will be fine, given a deep threat and some growing room, but I would still take a QB in the 3rd or 4th round to groom as a back-up, and a back-up plan.

The play calling is basic and white bread, almost but not quite Jimmy Raye, and will sty that way until we can use or our base offense to get opponents off balance, then we can get deeper into the play book, all these things will happen, I feel it, I'm not so sure this is the season they happen, but I won't stop believing.

Go Niners!

To me it looks like harbaugh does not want McCoy to play so he's making Kaep play safe football. If Kaep gets hurt he'll have to put McCoy in and harbaugh don't want that so until we get a trusted backup i think Kaep will protect himself and play pocket Passer which is fine with me because of his strong arm but he'll have to study tapes more in order to read defenses better aka R. Cunningham
I'd say both...in the passing game, Kap's making some key mistakes, like holding onto the ball too long, not seeing open receivers, being indecisive at times. In his defense, his receivers just aren't working hard enough to get/stay open. I see other teams' receivers coming back to the ball to make catches...I seldom see ours doing that. In the running game, our OL's been inconsistent...against lesser teams they seem to have no problem opening up seams for Gore & Co. to get through. Against better defenses, they've struggled.

I fault Roman's playcalling somewhat...still not seeing draw plays, screens or other short passes to Gore, Hunter, et al on any kind of consistent basis. Those kinds of plays can slow down the pass rush, give your offense a chance to sustain drives, etc. At this point, I'm not sure Crabtree's return will dramatically improve the passing game. There's just something missing...call it chemistry, rhythm, or whatever. Some of that's the playcalling, some of it's simply lack of execution of the plays called. Whatever it is, they'd better get it right soonest...or our chance to be a wildcard team will disappear.
yea its both...Kaep has regressed tremendously and Roman doesn't help...ever
Watching Boldin running wide open on the sideline and then COMING BACK toward the LOS to give Kaep an option, all the while SCREAMING for the ball, CLAPPING his hands, flailing his arms doing everything he possibly could to get CK to throw it and CK just WOULD. NOT. GET. RID. OF THE BALL.

I just don't understand why he is playing so unbearably tentative. He is so terrified out that instead of making ANY decision, he simply makes NO decision.

As terribly mediocre as this game was, I'm not putting this loss on him. Nor Greg Roman. There were critical moments in this game that sunk us. 1) The Gore drop on 2nd down late in the 4th quarter that might've been a TD if he caught it. Wide open. EASY catch. He botched it. 2) Botched Ahmad Brooks personal foul call. I get it. Any big hit even close to the neck and it's gonna be a personal foul. This was a game-changer. We get that fumble recovery, we win the game most likely.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Watching Boldin running wide open on the sideline and then COMING BACK toward the LOS to give Kaep an option, all the while SCREAMING for the ball, CLAPPING his hands, flailing his arms doing everything he possibly could to get CK to throw it and CK just WOULD. NOT. GET. RID. OF THE BALL.

I just don't understand why he is playing so unbearably tentative. He is so terrified out that instead of making ANY decision, he simply makes NO decision.

As terribly mediocre as this game was, I'm not putting this loss on him. Nor Greg Roman. There were critical moments in this game that sunk us. 1) The Gore drop on 2nd down late in the 4th quarter that might've been a TD if he caught it. Wide open. EASY catch. He botched it. 2) Botched Ahmad Brooks personal foul call. I get it. Any big hit even close to the neck and it's gonna be a personal foul. This was a game-changer. We get that fumble recovery, we win the game most likely.

I think it all comes down to his pocket presence. When he stands tall in there he plays well and can throw almost any pass. When he starts getting antsy and happy feet the whole world comes crashing down.

Wish I had the game so I could gif the play where he nearly was called for the safety. His footwork was sloppy and he panicked. I understand he was under pressure but that doesn't mean you go backwards and turn your body away from the play.
Share 49ersWebzone