LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 169 users in the forums

Kap or playcalling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kap or playcalling?

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I think it all comes down to his pocket presence. When he stands tall in there he plays well and can throw almost any pass. When he starts getting antsy and happy feet the whole world comes crashing down.

Wish I had the game so I could gif the play where he nearly was called for the safety. His footwork was sloppy and he panicked. I understand he was under pressure but that doesn't mean you go backwards and turn your body away from the play.

He has no pocket presence at all. He stands in there, looks at one or two guys and then starts to panic. Why has nobody else asked the question. WTF happened to the guy's speed?!!?!??! He looks slow as balls out there and I think there might be something wrong with him physically as well as mentally. He's just not the same explosive guy he was last season. He's taking way too many sacks that he should be able to get away from.

Also, this may be piling on the poor kid but I'm sorry. Was nobody else completely embarrassed by him getting baffled and trying to call timeout when we didn't have any? Yes the challenges were terribe and that's on the coaches but how can you not know you don't have any timeouts? I'm losing all patience for this guy and the offensive game plans in general.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd say both...in the passing game, Kap's making some key mistakes, like holding onto the ball too long, not seeing open receivers, being indecisive at times. In his defense, his receivers just aren't working hard enough to get/stay open. I see other teams' receivers coming back to the ball to make catches...I seldom see ours doing that. In the running game, our OL's been inconsistent...against lesser teams they seem to have no problem opening up seams for Gore & Co. to get through. Against better defenses, they've struggled.

I fault Roman's playcalling somewhat...still not seeing draw plays, screens or other short passes to Gore, Hunter, et al on any kind of consistent basis. Those kinds of plays can slow down the pass rush, give your offense a chance to sustain drives, etc. At this point, I'm not sure Crabtree's return will dramatically improve the passing game. There's just something missing...call it chemistry, rhythm, or whatever. Some of that's the playcalling, some of it's simply lack of execution of the plays called. Whatever it is, they'd better get it right soonest...or our chance to be a wildcard team will disappear.
Did you see the last offensive series of the game? when Keap almost got a safety? HE could not throw to wrs because they 2 of them had their backs to Him and the other was covered on the left side line,IT THE SAME FREAKING PLAYCALLING like in the Carolina Game,7 step drop Receivers running down the feild with thier backs to the QB,who the f**k is He suppose to throw the ball to? You are coect,we will be alright when they FIRE THE OC WR COACH,QB COACH..those 3 NEED to go and DON'T bring in NO MORE USC products in the form of coaching or WRs that includes Marques"I'm Always Hurt"Lee.
Both... Kap has been trash all year long and the play calling is terrible. How many time do we only have ONE Wr on the field???? Far to many times for me to count. How many times do we flex Bruce Miller out to WR??? To many effing times to count.. Open the field up coach!! Spread teams out and get those 9 man fronts out of the box.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
He has no pocket presence at all. He stands in there, looks at one or two guys and then starts to panic. Why has nobody else asked the question. WTF happened to the guy's speed?!!?!??! He looks slow as balls out there and I think there might be something wrong with him physically as well as mentally. He's just not the same explosive guy he was last season. He's taking way too many sacks that he should be able to get away from.

Also, this may be piling on the poor kid but I'm sorry. Was nobody else completely embarrassed by him getting baffled and trying to call timeout when we didn't have any? Yes the challenges were terribe and that's on the coaches but how can you not know you don't have any timeouts? I'm losing all patience for this guy and the offensive game plans in general.

It was the AR1's job to watch the playclock and keep track of timeouts available. All HIS fault.
Both

But WTF? The Vernon Davis TD came off a play action, why wasn't there more PA?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
It was the AR1's job to watch the playclock and keep track of timeouts available. All HIS fault.

Originally posted by jays9ers:
Both... Kap has been trash all year long and the play calling is terrible. How many time do we only have ONE Wr on the field???? Far to many times for me to count. How many times do we flex Bruce Miller out to WR??? To many effing times to count.. Open the field up coach!! Spread teams out and get those 9 man fronts out of the box.

One way or another this has to happen. This team is no fun to watch on offense. Its frustrating watching Frank pile into 9 man fronts all game long. Our passing game is a joke and unfortunately I just don't think we have the personnel to get it done this season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
its both but roman is the head of it,, actually JH is because he just lets this s**t go on and on.i wish they would have left roman in the swamps last night
The 49ers Problems on offense are EXACTLY the same problems Stanford has on their offense. Theyre both Ball Control run based offenses with Little Or NO explosive opportunities. When Stanford fell behind to USC Saturday, they played like HLL to get back in the game and couldn't muster up a passing game. Ditto the 49ers.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MannySoopa49ersnMD:
yea its both...Kaep has regressed tremendously and Roman doesn't help...ever

ck has regressed because of roman in my opinion

Kap and this offense have many flaws right now. Scheme and execution are killing drives and I don't think it's going to get better any time soon.

First off I think we've really limited our passing offense by constantly using power formations. I get that we don't trust our receivers but we have to attempt to put them in position to be successful. Jumbo sets with 1/2 of our slow wideouts, is putting Kap in position for failure. We need to spread out when teams are stacking the box and allow some of our wideouts to use bunch formations and rub routes to create separation.

Kap has lost is confidence in his eyes and in his line. One of the things that drives me crazy is that he often tries to bail the pocket and runs in to pressure. An example of this is the almost safety from this week. The D ends constantly just pressure wide because Kap will not climb the pocket comfortably. I've noticed teams do this all year on passing situations. By bailing out to the right/left of the pocket he also is cutting the field in half for the defense. This is why we see him so often run towards the sideline and throw the ball out of bounds. If he climbs the pocket the whole field is still in play and a greater chance a WR/TE will come open.

Also, more downfield passes on 1st down please. I don't know if we've ran one successful double move all year.
Originally posted by cciowa:
ck has regressed because of roman in my opinion

That's a big part of it. Kap gets his fair share of blame as well. He's been downright pathetic in areas that Roman has nothing to do with. Roman wasn't on the field yesterday trying to call timeout when we didn't have any. Yes Harbaugh was terrible yesterday too but Kap has to know he has not timouts. Plus, Kap's regression with pocket presence was not Roman's fault either. I don't know whats going on but Kap has lost a ton of speed. Maybe he's hurt idk I'm not making excuses just pointing out that he has no explosiveness.

Between the coaches, Kap, and the line's inability to pass block I'd say we're pretty much screwed. That's a recipe for disaster against playoff level competition.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by jays9ers:

One way or another this has to happen. This team is no fun to watch on offense. Its frustrating watching Frank pile into 9 man fronts all game long. Our passing game is a joke and unfortunately I just don't think we have the personnel to get it done this season.

No we have the Personel, What we don't have is the Personel to Call good plays nor do they have the Imagination.
Alex seems to be better than Kaepernick at getting rid of the ball and avoiding the sack. Last year, everyone thought Kaepernick was some kind of Houdini. He has the knack of taking sacks at the very worst times. Starting off a two minute drill with a big yardage losing sack. No timeouts, take a big sack and run off most of the remaining clock. Kaepernick hasn't been able to win these close games the way Russell Wilson has. So far this season, Kaepernick lacks the ability to make clutch plays. The 1st down out of the end zone against Carolina felt like a game-winning play just because it was so difficult. Unfortunately, it took a miracle play just to get out of the end zone because Colin Jones had downed the ball on the 1.

We always seem to be losing the field position battle in a straight-up game with no turnovers. This is due in part because of our lack of a good return game and Kaepernick's difficulties in moving the ball consistently. Sometimes I wonder if Roman and Harbaugh threw out the short passing plays from the playbook after they replaced Alex Smith. Sure looks that way.
They will never throw for 400 yards a game when we come out in two tight end heavy sets with 2 total receiving options per pass play all game long. We ALWAYS line up heavy and try to throw out of it, it works for Vernon because it gets him lined up against linebackers in congested areas and we can sneak him out of play action calls and misdirection plays ets, but when every single pass play has two or three total routes being run, it's not that hard to see why the passing game sucks balls. Also if Frank Gore catches that ball he gets an easy 40-50 yards and possibly a 70 yard td, just how the ball's been bouncing for us lately
Share 49ersWebzone