LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Jerry Rice says consulting with 49ers' young receivers would be ‘fantastic'

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Proof? please don't start something if you don't back it
rice just started something. he is always starting something just to keep his name in the spot light. i love him but you have to remember the bengals super bowl and the aftermath where he pouted he was not getting enough attention. egomaniac. i love him but egomaniac. you already got one of those on board with JH. besides, he would expect everyone to play like him and thus he will fail, just like bob gibson did as a pitching coach. he tried it but found out the pitchers in the modern era do not have the mental toughness he had and he could not cope with it. rice will find out the same thing if he tries this consulting gig. it will not happen with us, no way
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by outside4949:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i like x niners like joe montana and craig they have no ego to stroke, they know these are no longer their niners, they make little comments here and there about how happy they are with the niners resurgence but they know their role. rice put out this story to make himself relevant and of course it is being stoked by an eager media and sentimental fan base. i would not be shocked if some reporter actually decided to question JH about this happening.

What do you do for a profession cc? I bet if you could get tips from the person that was the best ever at your job you would jump on it.
at this point in time, i am the best in my profession in the city where i live. i am a news and sports director for a tv and radio station, i have a live announcing gig on fm radio and do play by play of local high school basketball and football games on tv. sure its small market but i have learned alot, i work hard, i am happy where i am and i am considered to be very good. trust me , that is not ego. i also can not train people to do my job. they do not grasp things as quick as i do and it frustrates me,, just as it would frustrate rice in my opinion to try to teach someone something he is the very best at.
I'm Spartacus.
Rice would be great as our WR offensive consultant. Our WR's need a lot of help. I hope the time our GM and coach listens to him on drafting a WR's. Morton doesn't impress me as our WR coach. Maybe Rice can give him some pointers.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Too bad this probably wont amount to anything. Hope it does but I doubt it.

me too
it'll probably be like when rod woodson tried to coach the raiders secondary, the guy was the greatest receiver ever but doing and teaching are 2 different things
Yes please
This would be interesting. I don't know if Boldin would approve though. He was asked numerous times who his favorite 9ers where and Jerry was not one of them.
Not all great players are good coaches.

He was probably a great role model as a teamate for young players to watch and learn from. But let's hope he can coach bc we need that junx
Originally posted by cciowa:
rice just started something. he is always starting something just to keep his name in the spot light. i love him but you have to remember the bengals super bowl and the aftermath where he pouted he was not getting enough attention. egomaniac. i love him but egomaniac. you already got one of those on board with JH. besides, he would expect everyone to play like him and thus he will fail, just like bob gibson did as a pitching coach. he tried it but found out the pitchers in the modern era do not have the mental toughness he had and he could not cope with it. rice will find out the same thing if he tries this consulting gig. it will not happen with us, no way

Rice is "always starting something just to keep his name in the spot light."

Really?

Glad you have figured out Jerry Rice is just a microphone hogging premadonna with nothing left to offer than shallow bs. You've always been so pro-9er in your commetary like that.

If not for your great wisdom, we would have figured out the con that is Jerry Rice long ago and traded him and won at least 20 Superbowls.

Anyway...to the rest of you....man if we could be so blessed to have Jerry Rice teaching our young receiving corp the world would change.

wont change anything

• Rascal
  • Veteran
I say why not ? I mean it is not like if John Morton is churning out beasts right now as we speak. But, don't expect miracles, I just think we need better receivers more than anything else.
[ Edited by Rascal on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM ]
Harbaugh should have picked up the phone immediately after hearing about this and hired him in some capacity.
If the goat is offering to work with our WRs, we'd be stupid not to accept.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Harbaugh should have picked up the phone immediately after hearing about this and hired him in some capacity.

Originally posted by Jakemall:
If the goat is offering to work with our WRs, we'd be stupid not to accept.

Put it this way, if we can hire Eric Manigni, I would hire Jerry in a heatbeat.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Counsel from the greatest route runner ever. We should be all over this.

Maybe, it would be worth a try, but great players frequently are not very good at coaching.

What exactly would Rice do as a wide receiver consultant?
[ Edited by buck on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone