LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

Jerry Rice says consulting with 49ers' young receivers would be ‘fantastic'

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Rice isn't even looking for a full-time position, he doesn't want to be a regular coach, just a consultant. I think that if the WR is a major weakness for you and if the greatest WR of all-time happened to play for your franchise and is offering to toss your current group a couple of bones, you'd jump all over it like there's no tomorrow. Not only do I think it would help this team performance wise due to Jerry's tremendous work ethic and dedicated study of the game, but PR-wise it could also be a pretty good move.

However Harbaugh is stubborn as hell and might not want to bring Rice in, making it appear to be some sort of judgment on Morton.
Still don't know why we didn't bring Ray Sherman back as WR coach when he left DAL. O yes we were trying to be Ravens West
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Rice isn't even looking for a full-time position, he doesn't want to be a regular coach, just a consultant. I think that if the WR is a major weakness for you and if the greatest WR of all-time happened to play for your franchise and is offering to toss your current group a couple of bones, you'd jump all over it like there's no tomorrow. Not only do I think it would help this team performance wise due to Jerry's tremendous work ethic and dedicated study of the game, but PR-wise it could also be a pretty good move.

However Harbaugh is stubborn as hell and might not want to bring Rice in, making it appear to be some sort of judgment on Morton.

At the game vs Colts I was there and it was like Jerry was almost as big as the game. He would easily trump Harbaugh in the fans eye and that could be problematic perhaps?
Can we just put him on the field?
If he has some tips, pointers, and knowledge he can drop on these young guys, bring him in!!! Outside Boldin, these other guys need all the help they can get. Receiving advice and encouragement from the greatest WR of all time can't hurt. The coaching they already receive from John Morton is questionable at best.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
If he has some tips, pointers, and knowledge he can drop on these young guys, bring him in!!! Outside Boldin, these other guys need all the help they can get. Receiving advice and encouragement from the greatest WR of all time can't hurt. The coaching they already receive from John Morton is questionable at best.
the fact these guys can not open or get off the line of scrimmage is not the fault of morton. whatever has been wrong in that area is not the fault of johnny morton and no we do not need jerry rice to ride in to save the day, that is all he needs for his ego and trust me, rice would be a distraction JH wants no part of. you do not hear any other x niners blather about wanting to be some sort of a mentor. our secondary had issues, you do not see lott trying to come in here, ck has issues, you do not see montana on his white horse. of course i like rice but please,, this is just his ego talking. rice misses the game and is always trying to be something relevant. he got involved in the tim brown story and was more than a willing participant when moss ran his mouth last year leading up the super bowl. the hill and tips from jerry rice are over rated. the connection to our very good past is nice but come one, move forward people
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
ps,, the history of the nfl is littered with great players who make lousy coaches or "mentors". they think everyone should play the game they way they did which is unrealistic. their brains do not work the same
Originally posted by cciowa:
the fact these guys can not open or get off the line of scrimmage is not the fault of morton. whatever has been wrong in that area is not the fault of johnny morton and no we do not need jerry rice to ride in to save the day, that is all he needs for his ego and trust me, rice would be a distraction JH wants no part of. you do not hear any other x niners blather about wanting to be some sort of a mentor. our secondary had issues, you do not see lott trying to come in here, ck has issues, you do not see montana on his white horse. of course i like rice but please,, this is just his ego talking. rice misses the game and is always trying to be something relevant. he got involved in the tim brown story and was more than a willing participant when moss ran his mouth last year leading up the super bowl. the hill and tips from jerry rice are over rated. the connection to our very good past is nice but come one, move forward people

Get out of town, are you kidding? tips and tricks from the greatest reciever to ever play the game would somehow be hurtful? shame on you
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xtm059:

Get out of town, are you kidding? tips and tricks from the greatest reciever to ever play the game would somehow be hurtful? shame on you
i like x niners like joe montana and craig they have no ego to stroke, they know these are no longer their niners, they make little comments here and there about how happy they are with the niners resurgence but they know their role. rice put out this story to make himself relevant and of course it is being stoked by an eager media and sentimental fan base. i would not be shocked if some reporter actually decided to question JH about this happening.
As good as Rice was I know two things;

A. It does not mean he will be a good teacher.

B. You cant teach will power and work effort.

Not sure why this has never came into fruition.

I figured with his competitive fire, he'd have to get yanked kicking and screaming from a potential consultant gig.
wont happen
If it was going to happen it would have happened by now, here or on some other team.
Originally posted by susweel:
he's probably gonna get fired from ESPN so he's just looking for another job.

Proof? please don't start something if you don't back it
i like x niners like joe montana and craig they have no ego to stroke, they know these are no longer their niners, they make little comments here and there about how happy they are with the niners resurgence but they know their role. rice put out this story to make himself relevant and of course it is being stoked by an eager media and sentimental fan base. i would not be shocked if some reporter actually decided to question JH about this happening.

What do you do for a profession cc? I bet if you could get tips from the person that was the best ever at your job you would jump on it.
Share 49ersWebzone