LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Could 49ers defense handle the Broncos??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Their run game was beyond weak and a joke week 1. Again its weak one so cant put too much on it but our pass rush is superior to the trash ravens and we have far better cover lbs than the ravens. Manning did look scary good though adjusting at half and at the line.
49ers have a history of playing Manning well, 49ers don't substitute much, 49ers can stop the run very well with the nickel and dime so the lack of substitution shouldn't be as much of a problem.

I think the 49ers would do okay against the Broncos.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
for sure we'll lose if we face broncos in the SB... for sure!!
49ers defense would destroy Denver. 1st off, if you noticed last nights game, the Bronco wide recievers were covered with not too much separation, where the Ravens failed was their pass rush. Ahmad Brooks, Justin & Aldon and Corey would absolutely send P Manning into retirement.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
The Falcons offense with Ryan, Julio, Roddy, Gonzo, and Steven Jackson is more intimidating than the Broncos, IMHO.

The Ravens just took a fat dump last night.
Falcons were already just as potent as Broncos last year, but now they have SJ...

From the coaches to the players, "they took a fat dump" especially in the 2nd half!!
Since there has been very little change in our defense how did we handle other high powered passing offenses such as the Saints or the Pats? Our defense can handle there offense without many issues. The question is how well can there defense handle our offense?
Ravens had no pass rush beyond the first quarter...after that Peyton had all day
The altitude in Denver plays a big role in the success the Broncos have had since their inception. The missed challenge cannot be discounted. Seven touchdown passes look good on a stat sheet but no way do they win a Super Bowl. Denver fans point to Manning's renewed arm strength, let's see it deep in December.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Since there has been very little change in our defense how did we handle other high powered passing offenses such as the Saints or the Pats? Our defense can handle there offense without many issues. The question is how well can there defense handle our offense?
^^

Sure, Peyton would get a big play here n there, but he'd also throw a pick here and there and would be uncomfortable for most of the time he was on the field. Niners would turn them back into donkeys!

The Ravens are going to take a while to gel with the new guys and all. If they get lucky and make it to the playoffs, they could see Broncos, again... the outcome could be a lot different.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The altitude in Denver plays a big role in the success the Broncos have had since their inception. The missed challenge cannot be discounted. Seven touchdown passes look good on a stat sheet but no way do they win a Super Bowl. Denver fans point to Manning's renewed arm strength, let's see it deep in December.

My buddy whos a Broncos fan told me the same thing last year, the altitude in Denver is a big reason why Manning is able to continue his career looking like his arm actually gained strength.

I don't think the Broncos have any faith in their running game, and that's why I think the Niners could handle the Broncos.
I hope you don't think the Broncos are some unstoppable team just because they destroyed a rebuilt Ravens team on a Super Bowl hangover. That was not the same team that won the SB, they really missed Boldin and Pitta along with Lewis, Kruger, and Reed. Bottom line, it was a perfect storm for the Broncos. Very similar to the perfect storm the Seahawks unleashed on the 49ers last year where eventually everything went their way.

That perfect storm is unsustainable, as shown by the Seahawks sucking in the playoffs and getting lucky that RG3 got hurt so they could advance and pretend they had a good season.
We all knew the Ravens were in trouble once all they lost their key members on defense now the have Huff

I think Houston has a better team and 49ers will see them soon and in the Superbowl
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
We would completely shutdown their run game which would make the Broncos offense one dimensional. We tend to do pretty well against teams that can only pass the ball. With that said, Peyton would put up a lot of yards (300+), but would be hit a lot, sacked a lot, and have a couple of turnovers. On offense, even if their defense had all of their guys, I think we could control the game and put up some yards and points on them. I could see us winning by 10.

I don't think so. They hardly ran the ball in this game. From a defense standpoint, pass rush is key, but is hard to provide that kind of pressure throughout the entire 60 mins. We might even need to substitute to keep the bodies fresh. The seconadry can only do so much when a guy throws 40+ times on you. What we need ultimately is 3 and outs and keep Peyton on the bench, much like what did to Green Bay in last year's playoffs.

As for offense, is easy to say we will run the ball and eat up the clock, but I am not convinced it will be that simple to run against their D-line. This is where the Pistol comes in, we need to confuse their D. We can't just give up the QB run, we need that as an option to spread their resources too thin. Mix it all up with RB run, QB run, QB scramble and play action passes, make them play guess where the football is. In all likelihood, Kap might need to throw a fair amount to put points on the board. Bottomline, we will need to be aggressive and keep scoring to pull away from them.
That's funny. During the game I asked myself, can our D handle Denver? Based on the degraded ravens D, we were looking at the former shell of the Ravens D. And their O? Wow, never saw a team drop that many balls except the 9ers, 2001-2010. It was laughable. But the no huddle was impressive and plenty scary. Guys out there on D virtually all 2nd half because peyton did what he wanted with them. Could we have handled them? They would not have run on us, but they would have tried. Marvin called it when he said the mustard came off the hotdog, esp in the 2nd half. That was a bunch of tweener passes, half hot, half not...and all thrown wth same velocity. Weird. Just glad they play the SB at the end of the season, not at the start. I think we would have been beaten by the no huddle. But it would still have been close. And 7 TDs? I don't think so.
Share 49ersWebzone