LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Could 49ers defense handle the Broncos??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Peyton Manning chokes in the playoffs.

reg season manning=the niners have NO CHANCE.
playoff manning=the niners will win...
I know one thing. I wouldnt respect any rb running the ball
Not if another 49er CB gets hurt...
  • buck
  • Veteran
I do not have a clue.

Maybe, I am just slow.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes. I think the Ravens D is not as good as it was. And they looked tired in the humidity and altitude there. The Broncos are used to that altitude. Plus when they got way behind they just gave up it seemed.

Turnovers and a really bad call (where Welker dropped a pass that was ruled complete) were pivotal in turning a tight game in the Donkeys' favor. After they fell behind, the defense got tired and basically quit.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
I hope you don't think the Broncos are some unstoppable team just because they destroyed a rebuilt Ravens team on a Super Bowl hangover. That was not the same team that won the SB, they really missed Boldin and Pitta along with Lewis, Kruger, and Reed. Bottom line, it was a perfect storm for the Broncos. Very similar to the perfect storm the Seahawks unleashed on the 49ers last year where eventually everything went their way.

That perfect storm is unsustainable, as shown by the Seahawks sucking in the playoffs and getting lucky that RG3 got hurt so they could advance and pretend they had a good season.

People are going to think what they want to think. But isn't this a classic case of knee jerk? This is just ONE GAME.

What are people going to say when the Broncos lose badly in the next game? Or the one after that?

Don't people think that it would prudent to allow the sample size to grow before jumping to judgement?

For both/all teams?
broncos=18-1
niners 19-0
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
We would completely shutdown their run game which would make the Broncos offense one dimensional. We tend to do pretty well against teams that can only pass the ball. With that said, Peyton would put up a lot of yards (300+), but would be hit a lot, sacked a lot, and have a couple of turnovers. On offense, even if their defense had all of their guys, I think we could control the game and put up some yards and points on them. I could see us winning by 10.

I don't think so. They hardly ran the ball in this game. From a defense standpoint, pass rush is key, but is hard to provide that kind of pressure throughout the entire 60 mins. We might even need to substitute to keep the bodies fresh. The seconadry can only do so much when a guy throws 40+ times on you. What we need ultimately is 3 and outs and keep Peyton on the bench, much like what did to Green Bay in last year's playoffs.

As for offense, is easy to say we will run the ball and eat up the clock, but I am not convinced it will be that simple to run against their D-line. This is where the Pistol comes in, we need to confuse their D. We can't just give up the QB run, we need that as an option to spread their resources too thin. Mix it all up with RB run, QB run, QB scramble and play action passes, make them play guess where the football is. In all likelihood, Kap might need to throw a fair amount to put points on the board. Bottomline, we will need to be aggressive and keep scoring to pull away from them.

They didn't need to run. However if they did, their running game would pose no threat to us, which is why I said it would be completely shut down. Teams that can only pass the ball tend not to do well against us. You said that the secondary can only do so much which is true. I said in my original post that Peyton would throw for 300 +. However having Peyton throw that many times a game opens him up to more QB hurries/pressures, hits, and sacks. Unlike the Ravens, we would get to him.

You may not be convinced that we can run against them, but think over the past 2 years, not too many teams can say they truly stopped us, save for the Giants.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
They didn't need to run. However if they did, their running game would pose no threat to us, which is why I said it would be completely shut down. Teams that can only pass the ball tend not to do well against us. You said that the secondary can only do so much which is true. I said in my original post that Peyton would throw for 300 +. However having Peyton throw that many times a game opens him up to more QB hurries/pressures, hits, and sacks. Unlike the Ravens, we would get to him.

You may not be convinced that we can run against them, but think over the past 2 years, not too many teams can say they truly stopped us, save for the Giants.

I wouldn't say throwing teams tend to do badly when they play us. Take the Falcons for example, they didn't do that bad against us when we only beat them by 4 points in the NFC game. If they didn't have the 2 turnovers it could have gone either way. The Pats also totally ate up a 28 point lead. Sure, Justin Smith going down was a key factor in those 2 situations, that is why I said pass rush will be key.

As for running the ball, a couple of teams have stopped us before, the Giants you mentioned and also the Seahawks. It all depends on the situation, if the Broncos could put points on the board and start to build up a lead, it might be hard to keep pounding the ball and hoping their run D will break. That is why I keep saying the Pistol will be absolutely critical. We have to keep fooling them and changing things up. If we could do that, we should be able to run as well as to throw the ball. That is also why I am also hoping we will unveil our Pistol 2.0. We can't just give up the QB run even if we are running a fake like what happened in the NFC game and the Super Bowl. We just need to run an additional blocker to mark off the spy to keep all options open and thus let them play the guessing game.

The game sounds like a blowout, but look closer. The Ravens beat the Broncos in real scoring drives in the first 2 v 1 (not counting one play drives)

The Broncos went in to half time, made some adjustments, and that was it. The Broncos avoided the box, attacked wide, and Baltimore speed on D was exposed. There didn't seem a lot of disruption on the line by Raven D, so the Denver blocking looked perfect like how you draw it up in practice. The screen was really well done. DT is fast.

Having said all that, the classic sit back Fangio strategy can frustrate Manning IF we can bring the heat with four. Williams will help here. Especially if we sub maybe Willis/Bowman with Lemonhead for TE/RB coverage. Lemonhead has the speed. No hot read for Peyton. Plus, there is the blitz option with Lemonhead that will keep peyton guessing.

The defensive backfield needs to see the ball early. We will get picks if we can jump on the ball. Very well targeted balls by Manning, but no velocity. It will only get slower as the season moves on. Force him to throw bloopers wide If we can keep the ball for 5 minutes per posession, I am not overly concerned. I am optimistic the game would not be exciting.

We need to have a different look on D after the half though. Denver will adjust.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Sep 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM ]
Damn this thread made me forget we play the Packers tomorrow
Brodie and verb, both good points. The one takeaway from Denver game was how hard peyton threw and how little velocity was actually on the ball. I'm not a neurologist, but it looked like that stem cell treatment didn't help his passing velocity. I agree that as season goes on his passes are going to lose more and more of their zip. He's tried so hard...unfortunately, when you get to a physiological point in your life, things slide downhill.

I don't think we'll see any of that from Aaron R. We'll be seeing smoke balls..and pinpoint. I am really excited about our new D backfield and new front 7 rotation guys. It is unfortunate they didn't get to warm up on some one else first, other than AR. Man I hope we beat those guys, cause SEA won't be any easier.

And on O, can't wait to see boldin, patton, vance, Vernon, Baldwin. go to work. If they all have good games, NFL is in for a rough ride against 49ers.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Brodie and verb, both good points. The one takeaway from Denver game was how hard peyton threw and how little velocity was actually on the ball. I'm not a neurologist, but it looked like that stem cell treatment didn't help his passing velocity. I agree that as season goes on his passes are going to lose more and more of their zip. He's tried so hard...unfortunately, when you get to a physiological point in your life, things slide downhill.

I don't think we'll see any of that from Aaron R. We'll be seeing smoke balls..and pinpoint. I am really excited about our new D backfield and new front 7 rotation guys. It is unfortunate they didn't get to warm up on some one else first, other than AR. Man I hope we beat those guys, cause SEA won't be any easier.

And on O, can't wait to see boldin, patton, vance, Vernon, Baldwin. go to work. If they all have good games, NFL is in for a rough ride against 49ers.

Yea 2mrw will definitely be a huge test to see how his years defense stacks up against elite passers, and from the outside looking in, Eric Reid is the weak, I sure hope he's ready!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Right, we can beat GB on our offensive side of the ball. And we can keep Rogers to three scores or less if we can get past the improvised offensive line.

We need to be sure tacklers on Rogers though. He scrambles really well. He can make something out of nothing.
Share 49ersWebzone