LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

ESPN Predicts....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by maltz88:
To preface this, I'm a Seattle fan, but their projections don't seem that far off base to me.

SF was 11-4-1 last year.

You will have a real franchise QB starting 16 games (assuming he stays healthy), but the guy he replaced last year was 6-2 when he replaced him. Ironically the tie game is when CK replaced him, so you can take the tie out of the equation. Do you expect CK to make up 2 games as Smith's replacement? I think if you asked any team, or any fan, you'd take 6-2 out of any 8 game stretch in the NFL.

So, I don't see CK making that much difference over a full season. Don't mistake this for me saying I think Smith and CK are on the same level, I don't think they're even close, but just looking at a wins over replacement type scenario.

Couple that with the fact that you now remove Crabtree from that team that was 11-4-1, and replace him with Boldin who is a great posession receive but is not a game breaker by any means, and the rest of the WR cast is basically unknown. Remove Sapoaga, and Goldson from the defense. Now you have a team that is still a fantastic team that doesn't appear to have gotten any better on paper at least, that plays in an improving division, and is coming off a Super Bowl appearance, so teams will again be gunning for them.....again.

Not to put anyone up in arms with this, I'm just saying the prediction doesn't seem that far off to me.

You can do the same scenario to Seattle. Tons of injuries to start the year this season, had an unknown at QB that snuck up on some people last year (won't happen again), went undefeated at home (unlikely to happen again), etc. etc.

My take is if you put either Seattle or SF in another division they're probably 12 win teams. But since they're both in the NFC West with improving St. Louis and Arizona teams, I think both teams are 10-6 teams +/- 1 win. Probably the healthier team wins the division. Which is I believe exactly what Sando said.

Dont really mind any of your other arguments but a few things I wanted to point out:
1. If you saw any 49ers games last year, you would know Crabtree was never a "gamebreaker" type of receiver. He was a great possession receiver who made his living on short/intermediate routes and YAC. I think his longest catch was 49 yds on a catch and run. Boldin, while probably not as explosive or fast as crab, does many of the same things Crab did. While there might be a slight drop-off, I think Boldin makes up for some of that production.
2. Also, what is with outsiders thinking that Sopoaga is good?. Is it the fact that he's a 320 pound Polynesian guy? He's big and strong but other than that, he was awful last season. PFF graded him as one of the worst NT in the league. Even some of the of players are saying that his replacement(Ian Williams, who's been really impressive all offseason) is an upgrade.
3. Finally, while Goldson was good, he, like Soap, is also overrated. Sure, he makes big hits and gets a few INT here or there, but he misses too many tackles and blows too many coverages for a player with the hype that he has. On multiple ocassions, he drew 15 yards on unnecessary penalties as well.
[ Edited by Timdiz on Aug 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM ]
In 2011 Colin Cowheard and a bunch of the other talking heads at ESPN had us winning the Luck sweepstakes, I was heated. Then came the wins...
When you really look close at last year. the division really wasnt that close. shecawks were gifted the failmary game. and if our special teams keeps thier heads on we win both rams games. thats a 3 game swing.
All homer bias aside, I think besides loosing Crab we made upgrades and/or added depth at every position this off season.
With Seattle, I think they are a solid team and they are built similar to US but I just think it's hard to overthrow a strong division champ. They are like Cincy to me. I like everything I see on paper and even think that Cincy might have more talent than the Steelers and Ravens, but every year they finish in 2nd or 3rd. It takes alot to get over the hump. If the 49ers have a big injury than Seattle will walk right through to the division title, if not I think the 49ers are a more seasoned team. The Jets had similar trouble when Rex first showed up, and they were a sexy pick as well but in the end the Pats have found a way to strangle that division.
Yeah, preseason predictions are utterly meaningless. But the way ESPN did the predictions this year seems odd to me. They had different writers predict the records of different teams independently of each other. This led to two teams in some divisions predicted to finish in the same spot. Sando predicted the 49ers would finish 10-6, but another writer predicted the Seahawks' 12-4 record. In any case, as I've stated before these predictions are futile. No one knows how an NFL season is going to play out. Having said that, I predict Niners win the Super Bowl .
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Yeah, preseason predictions are utterly meaningless. But the way ESPN did the predictions this year seems odd to me. They had different writers predict the records of different teams independently of each other. This led to two teams in some divisions predicted to finish in the same spot. Sando predicted the 49ers would finish 10-6, but another writer predicted the Seahawks' 12-4 record. In any case, as I've stated before these predictions are futile. No one knows how an NFL season is going to play out. Having said that, I predict Niners win the Super Bowl .

Whoever predicted the Ravens at 11 - 5 should be fired immediately.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
With Seattle, I think they are a solid team and they are built similar to US but I just think it's hard to overthrow a strong division champ. They are like Cincy to me. I like everything I see on paper and even think that Cincy might have more talent than the Steelers and Ravens, but every year they finish in 2nd or 3rd. It takes alot to get over the hump. If the 49ers have a big injury than Seattle will walk right through to the division title, if not I think the 49ers are a more seasoned team. The Jets had similar trouble when Rex first showed up, and they were a sexy pick as well but in the end the Pats have found a way to strangle that division.

Great points.

To me the bottom line is when Seattle can go on the road and beat a top flight opponent convincingly, I'll be concerned. Their only quality road win last season was against Chicago in OT. They beat up on some lousy teams otherwise or lost on the road.

They barely beat teams at home (NE ,GB) that we defeated convincingly on the road. You do not rewind the tape and say the 49ers were lucky in their wins against those two teams, you say "how was the score that close?".

The Seahawks toughest opponents this year outside the division are probably @ Houston, @Falcons and @ New York Giants, with games @ Colts and @ Panthers possibly being up there too. Out of those five, only three have legitimate home field advantage due to crowd noise (Houston, Atlanta, Indy). Win at least three/four of those games at the expense of a home game or two and I'll be impressed. Go 2-3 or 1-4, with another undefeated home record and I'll be unimpressed still.

I'm gaining confidence day by day. As long as our biggest area of concern isn't too bad (wide receiver), lot of hope for my San Francisco 49ers.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Wouldn't we all have said the same thing about the person predicting them to win the Super Bowl last year?

Wouldn't we all have said the same thing about the person predicting them to win the Super Bowl last year?

Um, no. They were a highly rated team last year. So ......

Originally posted by AmpLee:
To preface this, I'm a Seattle fan, but their projections don't seem that far off base to me.

Thanks for provided a "stop reading beyond this point" cue.

lol.

It's like when someone says, "no offense", followed by something extremely offensive.
Seattle's going 0-2 for the first two games. Book it, u heard it here first!
Originally posted by English:

Um, no. They were a highly rated team last year. So ......

This...

Now if you asked that question with like 4 games to go in the season where they looked like they couldn't beat anyone then yes. But prior to the start of the season the Ravens were stacked.
This...

Now if you asked that question with like 4 games to go in the season where they looked like they couldn't beat anyone then yes. But prior to the start of the season the Ravens were stacked.

I guess you guys are correct. It seemed in my memory that all anyone could predict coming out of the AFC was Denver or New England.

But there were a few that were picking Baltimore.
This...

I guess you guys are correct. It seemed in my memory that all anyone could predict coming out of the AFC was Denver or New England.

But there were a few that were picking Baltimore.

Typical Seagurl fan .. 0 football knowledge but tries to act like they know what they are talking about.
Share 49ersWebzone