LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

So.....a receiver coming back from a Torn ACL is our Deep Threat???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
A WR that isn't normally considered a deep threat can be one if the Oline is good at pass protection. This allows the WRs to run double/triple move routes, and get downfield. CBs can't cover competent WRs forever. With the opposing DEs/DTs being more disciplined in their pass rush to avoid Kap breaking containment, and the solid pass blocking of this Oline, guys like KWilliams, Baldwin, and Patton (hopefully) could be deep threats, even though they don't jump out as obvious stretch-the-field type players. A simple play action can buy the WRs a second, or longer, in additional time to run these advanced downfield routes.
Originally posted by thl408:
A WR that isn't normally considered a deep threat can be one if the Oline is good at pass protection. This allows the WRs to run double/triple move routes, and get downfield. CBs can't cover competent WRs forever. With the opposing DEs/DTs being more disciplined in their pass rush to avoid Kap breaking containment, and the solid pass blocking of this Oline, guys like KWilliams, Baldwin, and Patton (hopefully) could be deep threats, even though they don't jump out as obvious stretch-the-field type players. A simple play action can buy the WRs a second, or longer, in additional time to run these advanced downfield routes.

definitely hope this is the case with the Oline.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Baldwin is our deep threat now.
I guess people forget this training camp Vernon has been lining up as a wide out. He is the so called deep threat. If the coaches tbought Lockette and the other scrubs were any good Vernon wouldnt be needed to be used as a wide out.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Baldwin is our deep threat now.

That's the hope. Yet he's not good at gaining separation. It's known that he is a lumbering giant who gains speed but doesn't have that extra gear that really good receiver have.

But you're right . . . he may be the best the Niners have for now.
I'll say it again... our TE's -- both McDonald and VD will be targeted as much as the WR core. We have tons of serviceable slot guys. I'm not worried about our passing game at all. I'm more concerned with the DB's honestly.
  • thl408
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I'll say it again... our TE's -- both McDonald and VD will be targeted as much as the WR core. We have tons of serviceable slot guys. I'm not worried about our passing game at all. I'm more concerned with the DB's honestly.

I get the OP's concern though. VD is a deep threat, yes, but it may serve the offense better if a WR was the deep threat allowing VD and Vance to wreck havoc in the intermediate area. Imagine the defense having to designate a LB spy on Kap AND a safety in the deep area of the field to cover the WR deep threat. It would allow the TEs to roam around with single coverage in the middle portion of the field. VD can run intermediate crossing routes while Vance sits in the soft spots.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Wasn't Moss the deep threat? Ravens kept a safety over the top when he was in the game.

We haev potential deep threats on the team already but they just have to prove they are threats or else the defense won't respect them. In my opinion, even if we don't have a deep threat we have so many receivers (boldin, williams, manningham, moore, collie, etc.) that can outrun underneath coverage. Then you have Davis who can outrun the safety/LB's down the middle. We have 2 or 3 welker type of WR's. Then you mix in our 3 headed running attack. Oh wait....then there's Kaep.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mustangmele:

I totally agree with you. The safety will need to worry more about the run anyways which will open up space over the top. A defense is not going to defend the SF offense man-to-man. I don't care how good your defense is. If we do any 4-5 WR formations, its over for the defense. So many positives can come out of that formation alone.

Originally posted by thl408:

completely agree
Moss was so valuable in so many ways.

But we aren't living in the past, we have some pretty darn good talent at WR right now right this day.
In before re-sign TO
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Moss was so valuable in so many ways.

But we aren't living in the past, we have some pretty darn good talent at WR right now right this day.

Like who? Besides Boldin, none of those other receivers have made much of an impact lately.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Like who? Besides Boldin, none of those other receivers have made much of an impact lately.

Because they are not all proven commodities that does not mean for a second they won't be impactful.

Collie, for one, is a proven commodity however. So is Boldin. And they have both been immediate in their presence.

Our young guns are no joke either, any one of them could hit the field and light it up. You don't have to be proven to be good.

Side note, love that suggestion earlier of TO as long as he is past his mouth.
Share 49ersWebzone