There are 219 users in the forums

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Quinton Patton.

In all honesty, I don't think we'll get an answer to this question. Who was the #2 WR LAST year? It varies by formation. My answer is that there will be no concrete #2 WR and whomever lines up over there will vary by formation and situation.

This. I think as Patton gets healthier, he could make some huge strides and very well end up as the #2 guy. I had high hopes for Jenkins, not sure if that's in the cards though, if I had to break it down right now,this is how I would see it.

1-Boldin
2-Collie(experienced, smart, savvy vet, hopefully he can stay healthy).
3-Williams
4-Patton
5-Jenkins
6-Hall/Lockette/Moore

I also think you'll see VD line up at WR quite a bit to give defenses a completely different look. He's been lining up there regularly in the preseason so I think there will be more of that during the regular season. I could see a situation where you have Boldin and VD on the outsides, Collie in the slot and McDonald at TE.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
How do you know what Collie is capable of here. He's not in Indi anymore. He's not playing with Manning and he hasn't even seen a football field in what a year atleast? Kyle is farther ahead in knowing the offense and has atleast had some time to establish a bit of chemistry with Kap. It doesn't really matter and that was my point. They're all slot receivers IMO. We need a solid number two to step up that can excel on the outside. Ideally it would be Jenkins, or Lockette but who knows.

Ideally it would be Patton. After Boldin, he's the best run-blocking WR on the roster, the closest in his overall game to Crabtree out of all the receivers that the 49ers have. Right now his finger is the only thing that is holding him back apparently, otherwise he's been all over the place, has been working hard and drawing accolades from other 49ers for his work ethic.

Anquan Boldin and Quinton Patton have formed a unique relationship in the short time they've worked together at 49ers headquarters.

One is a buttoned-up 11-year veteran who is all about football. The other is a lively rookie who is all about getting information from the buttoned-up 11-year veteran who is all about football. The biggest common bond between the two is that both players share the love of being competitors at the wide receiver position. Boldin's young teammate has already made quite the impression on the veteran in the short time they've been teammates. When the rookie receiver's name was brought up to Boldin this week, all the veteran could do was smile. "He's just a kid with a bunch of energy," the 49ers No. 1 receiver said. "Every day he always comes in with a smile on his face. He always comes in with high energy, willing to learn." So why did Boldin react that way when asked about rookie he's helped mentor? Because Patton's infectious demeanor has been an enjoyable aspect of camp. "Every day, no matter, how everybody else is feeling, he's always full of energy," Boldin said. "He's one of those guys that brings a spark to the room."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Boldin-Mentors-Excitable-Patton/ab3dc1c8-9532-4d1f-b7be-6186b5020765
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM ]
Manningham when he gets healthy.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Manningham when he gets healthy.

There's no guarantee he'll be able to perform at the same level, even when healthy. People assuming that Manningham will simply up and show up and be the #2 WR on this roster could be setting themselves up for disappointment. Ever since he had that grisly injury, I've gone forward expecting Manningham to be at best, a #4 or #5 WR on this team for the 2013 season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Quinton Patton.

In all honesty, I don't think we'll get an answer to this question. Who was the #2 WR LAST year? It varies by formation. My answer is that there will be no concrete #2 WR and whomever lines up over there will vary by formation and situation.

This. I think as Patton gets healthier, he could make some huge strides and very well end up as the #2 guy. I had high hopes for Jenkins, not sure if that's in the cards though, if I had to break it down right now,this is how I would see it.

1-Boldin
2-Collie(experienced, smart, savvy vet, hopefully he can stay healthy).
3-Williams
4-Patton
5-Jenkins
6-Hall/Lockette/Moore

I also think you'll see VD line up at WR quite a bit to give defenses a completely different look. He's been lining up there regularly in the preseason so I think there will be more of that during the regular season. I could see a situation where you have Boldin and VD on the outsides, Collie in the slot and McDonald at TE.

I left Patton out mainly because I forgot about him, but also I just dont see how he can make a significant enough impact to become a starter as a rookie. I've never seen a rookie start under Harbaugh, so I dont mean to count him out so early, but I am not really sure if Patton is ready for that just yet.

I also don't know why everyone is so high on the kid when we havent seen anything from him yet? I know hes got a great work ethic, and people love him for that story about him coming over here too early, but he hasn't done anything to merit a starting job yet. I have to see him actually do something first.
Whoever escapes Seattle wk 2 unscathed
Randy Moss
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Randy Moss

Santana Moss.
Moore
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Moore

Kellen Moore.

Personally I'm thinking Patton once his finger heals...Like already stated he's been excellent at camp and seems to be grasping the playbook well.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Moore

Kellen Moore.

Herman Moore.
Why not Patton again?
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I left Patton out mainly because I forgot about him, but also I just dont see how he can make a significant enough impact to become a starter as a rookie. I've never seen a rookie start under Harbaugh, so I dont mean to count him out so early, but I am not really sure if Patton is ready for that just yet.

I also don't know why everyone is so high on the kid when we havent seen anything from him yet? I know hes got a great work ethic, and people love him for that story about him coming over here too early, but he hasn't done anything to merit a starting job yet. I have to see him actually do something first.

Because Patton has been excellent when it comes to running routes, now that hes getting healthy he will have more if an opportunity to make an impact. Even with a busted finger hes been one of the most impressive receivers out there. That hes a rookie shouldnt be held against him, Harbaugh and the coaching staff have shown that they arent afraid to play a rookie if they are ready to cobtribute. I think Patton could be a HUGE impact player for the 49ers. Before the draft I felt Patton had NFL #1 WR potential and I still believe that.
There are quite a few articles on Collie saying he's doing really well in practice. He's making himself be noticed by the coaches, he knows how to read coverages and find good spots. Hes a football player. I have no doubts that once he learns the playbook some more he will be getting first team snaps. He knows how to get open and catches anything thrown near him. Plus we all know that Kaep can throw the ball into tight windows.
Share 49ersWebzone