There are 227 users in the forums

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

Anyone open not named Bolden.
I really like Kyle's (short-lived) chemistry with Kap. However, I believe that Quinton Patton will be a wild card to take that WR2 spot.
Originally posted by CitizenSyndrome:
I really like Kyle's (short-lived) chemistry with Kap. However, I believe that Quinton Patton will be a wild card to take that WR2 spot.

How will he win the job? He isn't even catching balls in practice. Lol
The biggest ? I have is this. Are there any leaders on the Offensive side of the ball pushing him? Some of these guys skate by on their God given abilities in college. Vernon was one who I would say was going this early in his pro career. Under Singletary Vernon learned that he had to put in the work. Yet you dont hear any reports of Vernon telling Kapernick and AJ "hey lets stay after and get some more reps in" Or "AJ work the jugs every day after practice for 20" And I know Boldin is new to the team but I am certain that his career carries weight when he speaks to the young guys.

I just havent heard of the players taking charge at all. Maybe I just missed the article.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Whoever enters the game on the first offensive play. That could be anyone. The team alternates formations and personnel groupings so often, it will not matter. Whoever makes the roster will have a role and be expected to show up when their number is called.
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by CitizenSyndrome:

he has the innate talent and work ethic to make it happen when he comes back from his broken finger

Yet he's still running plays, running routes and learning the playbook, I doubt a guy who had the least amount of drops of any wide receiver in the draft will all of a sudden forget how to catch the football because he had a broken finger for a short period of time. What's important is that Patton is learning the system and has been participating in pretty much everything up to this point.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yet he's still running plays, running routes and learning the playbook, I doubt a guy who had the least amount of drops of any wide receiver in the draft will all of a sudden forget how to catch the football because he had a broken finger for a short period of time. What's important is that Patton is learning the system and has been participating in pretty much everything up to this point.

patton will be the #1 WR
Collie has a resume, that can't be said of Jenkins, Patton, Lockette, Hall and Moore. Before Manningham got injured he and Kaep were connecting. Could Williams be another Cruz if given the shot? He has only a handful of receptions in his career. So I'd have to say Collie, I'm sure Kaep will have him dialed in as soon as he gets some snaps. The X-Factor is McDonald, if he produces, which I believe to be a safe bet, he Vernon and Boldin won't leave too much for anyone else.
Originally posted by xtm059:
patton will be the #1 WR

I don't know about that, Boldin has it locked down but I do think Patton can be a major contributor. Unlike Jenkins last year, I don't see Patton taking the whole season just to figure out the playbook.

To start the season..

1. Boldin
2. Williams
3. Collie
4. Jenkins
5. Patton

When Manningham returns..

1. Boldin
2. Manningham
3. Williams
4. Collie
5. Jenkins
6. Patton

When Crabs comes back..

1. Crabtree
2. Boldin
3. Manningham
4. Williams
5. Collie
Bubble: Jenkins/Patton
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Not a snowball's chance in hell Patton is on the bubble. He was a steal in the 4th and we're going to give him the opportunity to showcase his talent.

This. I can see the 49ers give up on both Collie and Williams before Patton. In spite of all the hype, Williams really hasn't done much and now they have other players returning punts as well. Don't really see him being any better, he is what he's always been, decent speed threat and slot receiver, not a guy who will ever carry a team. Collie is more talented than Williams but his injury issues are worrisome, he's one headshot away from retirement.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
To start the season..

1. Boldin
2. Williams
3. Collie
4. Jenkins
5. Patton

1. Boldin
2. Manningham
3. Williams
4. Collie
5. Jenkins
6. Patton

Once again, people that are assuming that Manningham will just jump right back to where he was last season after the brutal knee injury he suffered, are fooling themselves IMO. I don't see him being a major factor for this team at anytime this season. His injury was far more severe than what Williams went through. I expect it to take awhile for him to get up to full speed.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
To start the season..

1. Boldin
2. Williams
3. Collie
4. Jenkins
5. Patton

1. Boldin
2. Manningham
3. Williams
4. Collie
5. Jenkins
6. Patton

Once again, people that are assuming that Manningham will just jump right back to where he was last season after the brutal knee injury he suffered, are fooling themselves IMO. I don't see him being a major factor for this team at anytime this season. His injury was far more severe than what Williams went through. I expect it to take awhile for him to get up to full speed.

Yeah, he tore his PCL and MCL. The PCL is very hard to tear, unlike the ACL. The medical profession has REALLY improved ACL protocol / comebacks (RGIII, AP), but so few players tear their PCLs that the protocol for ACLs has not transferred over.

Now, to think that Lattimore tore MCL, PCL, and ACL it is just remarkable that he is back running but there was a graphic of his dislocation and apparently he did not cause any other damage (cartilage, bone cartilage, nerves, etc).
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Yeah, he tore his PCL and MCL. The PCL is very hard to tear, unlike the ACL. The medical profession has REALLY improved ACL protocol / comebacks (RGIII, AP), but so few players tear their PCLs that the protocol for ACLs has not transferred over.

Now, to think that Lattimore tore MCL, PCL, and ACL it is just remarkable that he is back running but there was a graphic of his dislocation and apparently he did not cause any other damage (cartilage, bone cartilage, nerves, etc).

It's one of the reasons why Keenan Allen fell as far as he did in the draft, PCL tears require a lot more time for recovery, by themselves they're pretty bad, throw in an ACL tear and its just total devastation to the knee. Normally a PCL tear is an 8-10 month recovery at best, even though people keep talking about Manningham coming back to team drills late this month, I wouldn't be shocked to not see him doing light practices until mid or late September and not actually playing until late October, and even then, not at 100% of where he was before.
Share 49ersWebzone