There are 195 users in the forums

Whos the KR/PR for the 2013 season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Frank Gore

nate clements
Ted Ginn is a moot point right now, but let's face it - he wasn't as good in 2012 as he was in 2011 - not nearly as good.
LaMichael James. James added 10 pounds of leg muscle in the offseason, which has made him more explosive and which also should help with his pass blocking. He already has a good rapport with Kaepernick given their shared history in read-option college offenses and he looks markedly better as a punt returner than he did a year ago.
Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/07/90-niners-every-player-review-of-the-49ers-training-camp-roster.html#storylink=cpy
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I was just thinking how great ted ginn played last year for us and was wondering who is going to fill his shoes this year. LMJ I suppose is in the lead but he was shaky last season. Ginn constantly put its in good field position last season and I think his departure is being overlooked.

Ginn was not great last year. He was mediocre at best. I think Kyle Williams will return punts and James will return kicks. James wasn't really ready last year, but he will tear it up this year. Kyle will be an upgrade over Ginn. Ginn was becoming a liability both as a WR and PR. He doesn't deserve a spot on our final 53.

I don't see how Kyle Williams could be considered an upgrade. For the few more yards that he may gain on a return, he is infinitely more prone to fumbling and misjudging punts than Ginn ever was. The risk of turnovers outweigh any potential yardage when it is deep in your own territory.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
BS, he lost one fumble on a punt, first time he lost a punt as a 49er. He recovered the other 3. Name me one punt returner who hasn't muffed punts. Then Kaepernick airmailed a handoff to Ginn against the Rams, that somehow got blamed on Ginn. Ginn is the best punt returner the 49ers have had since John Taylor. Arnaz Battle? Delanie Walker? Philip Adams? God, please no We used to lose games on fumbled punts deep in our own territory. Returning punts is one of the most difficult things to do in football that fans take for granted.

Ginn had extremely steady hands and awareness up until this last year. We had generally poor special teams play all around ie. David Akers. Hard to pin all the blame on one guy. Sometimes people don't know a good thing until it's gone.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135466/Ginn-Jr-has-huge-return

BS? I can't find the number of punt returns Ginn had, but the 49ers had 36 total returns during the regular season and Ginn was out the first 3 games. We can assume he had 30 or less punt returns. In those 30 returns, plus 2 receptions and 1 rush he had 4 muffs or fumbles, came an inch away from touching that punt vs. the Patriots, and made a boneheaded reaction to an already boneheaded play vs. the Rams, leading to a touchdown. Basically 10-20% of the time he touched the ball it lead to a potential turnover. That's as unreliable as I can possibly imagine.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Ted Ginn is a moot point right now, but let's face it - he wasn't as good in 2012 as he was in 2011 - not nearly as good.

Nor was the blocking on special teams. Special teams had punts blocked, they were fooled on two fake punts in one game by the Rams... And then you have David Akers not doing his job. Everyone had a down year on special teams, hard to blame it all on Ginn. When Gore gets stopped in the backfield, fans could choose to blame it all on Gore, but it also falls on the blockers in front of him letting defenders get past them. Except Gore gets a free pass. Ginn has his first down year and now he's gone. I would still rather have Ginn return punts than anyone on the team because he's reliable. Even if he only gains five yards on each return, at least he catches the ball securely. Watch him bounce back with Carolina.
Originally posted by Disp:
BS, he lost one fumble on a punt, first time he lost a punt as a 49er. He recovered the other 3. Name me one punt returner who hasn't muffed punts. Then Kaepernick airmailed a handoff to Ginn against the Rams, that somehow got blamed on Ginn. Ginn is the best punt returner the 49ers have had since John Taylor. Arnaz Battle? Delanie Walker? Philip Adams? God, please no We used to lose games on fumbled punts deep in our own territory. Returning punts is one of the most difficult things to do in football that fans take for granted.

Ginn had extremely steady hands and awareness up until this last year. We had generally poor special teams play all around ie. David Akers. Hard to pin all the blame on one guy. Sometimes people don't know a good thing until it's gone.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135466/Ginn-Jr-has-huge-return

BS? I can't find the number of punt returns Ginn had, but the 49ers had 36 total returns during the regular season and Ginn was out the first 3 games. We can assume he had 30 or less punt returns. In those 30 returns, plus 2 receptions and 1 rush he had 4 muffs or fumbles, came an inch away from touching that punt vs. the Patriots, and made a boneheaded reaction to an already boneheaded play vs. the Rams, leading to a touchdown. Basically 10-20% of the time he touched the ball it lead to a potential turnover. That's as unreliable as I can possibly imagine.

Potential turnovers? He lost one fumble on a punt. One. Kaepernick was just as much to blame for airmailing the handoff against the Rams.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I was just thinking how great ted ginn played last year for us and was wondering who is going to fill his shoes this year. LMJ I suppose is in the lead but he was shaky last season. Ginn constantly put its in good field position last season and I think his departure is being overlooked.

Ginn was not great last year. He was mediocre at best. I think Kyle Williams will return punts and James will return kicks. James wasn't really ready last year, but he will tear it up this year. Kyle will be an upgrade over Ginn. Ginn was becoming a liability both as a WR and PR. He doesn't deserve a spot on our final 53.

I don't see how Kyle Williams could be considered an upgrade. For the few more yards that he may gain on a return, he is infinitely more prone to fumbling and misjudging punts than Ginn ever was. The risk of turnovers outweigh any potential yardage when it is deep in your own territory.
i am not aware of alot of fumbles and misjudges he did last year? are you in fact trying to base his career on one now long gotten meaningless game? kyle will not take the ball, run five yards and run out of bounds and while I do not know the total number,, i doubt he messed up to many chances last year till he got hurt.ginn was so bad last year he lost his job to a kid. what does that tell you?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Potential turnovers? He lost one fumble on a punt. One. Kaepernick was just as much to blame for airmailing the handoff against the Rams.
we all know who is to blame for the dips**t fake handoff vs the rams but what the f**k , he got an extension and pay raise . back to topic, sure ck messed it up but ginn did nothing to help out
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Potential turnovers, yes. As in the ball was on the ground and he lost possession over 10% of the time he touched it before either he or the other team recovered it.
[ Edited by Disp on Jul 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM ]

I don't like Williams on returns because his major drops that largely played a role in what cost everyone a trip to the bowl will be going off in his head like a bomb in the playoffs. We are not just playing with fire on that one, it is only a mater of time he will drop at least one deep in our territory in the playoffs. OUT

I don't like James on returns because he is becoming more and more a key player and I say keep him fresh and healthy.

We need to find a DESIGNATED return man other than those two.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWay:
I don't like Williams on returns because his major drops that largely played a role in what cost everyone a trip to the bowl will be going off in his head like a bomb in the playoffs. We are not just playing with fire on that one, it is only a mater of time he will drop at least one deep in our territory in the playoffs. OUT

I don't like James on returns because he is becoming more and more a key player and I say keep him fresh and healthy.

We need to find a DESIGNATED return man other than those two.
Jesus, where to start with this? It is illogical to get rid of kyle based upon one game, which no one should care about anymore. The mark of a true professional is how they respond and last year he came back and with his good play in all phases , until he got hurt, he redeemed himself to the coaches, his team mates and a majority of the fan base, at least the ones who are not short sighted. to cut kyle because you "THINK" or are AFRAID he will muff a punt in the playoffs is laughable. In short kyle did nothing, zero to justify him being gone. In regards to james, again you have illogical thinking. James proved he was very good in the kick return game and since he will not be getting alot of carries due to gore and hunter ahead of him, you do not have to worry about this kid running down. you got a weapon like that, it makes no sense,, zero, to have him setting on the bench playing checkers when he can be a difference maker in the kick return game.
what the f**k is a DESIGNATED return man? a guy who can only do one thing well? who is it? whose spot will he take? in case you have not realized this, JH does not care for one trick ponys, you have to multi task to stay on this team. We and most teams do not have the luxury to get a "designated" return man. sorry bud , but you are wrong on all counts in my opinion
Who said anything about "getting rid of" Williams? I sure didn't. I like he redeemed himself also and have always pulled for him. But his head might be a mess after the season on punts and its playoffs. I would like to see one of our other players who lives to take punts and kickoffs step up, somebody who wants it bad and is automatic on the catch.

You knew if John Taylor muffed one it was a complete fluke. Not so with Williams.

NO PROBLEM whatsoever with him in the slot though, he's a player there.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Who said anything about "getting rid of" Williams? I sure didn't. I like he redeemed himself also and have always pulled for him. But his head might be a mess after the season on punts and its playoffs. I would like to see one of our other players who lives to take punts and kickoffs step up, somebody who wants it bad and is automatic on the catch.

You knew if John Taylor muffed one it was a complete fluke. Not so with Williams.

NO PROBLEM whatsoever with him in the slot though, he's a player there.

Look, I'm no fan of KW, but you're really reaching here. Why is it a fluke if JT muffs a punt, but . . . oh . . . par for the course if KW does the same?

How many did KW muff last year? Come to think of it, how many did he muff the year before? His two mistakes that everyone talks about were not drops while trying to field a punt. One was allowing the ball to hit him way after it hit the ground and was bouncing around (yea, that was dumb, he needed to get waaaay out of the way), and the other was being stripped of the ball AFTER he fielded the punt cleanly.

He's pretty much "automatic", as you put it, on making the catch.

I'm not here advocating KW to be the Niner PRer, we'll let the coaches decide that over the course of training camp, but to label him emotionally scarred to the point of unreliability in the return game is ludicrous.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Jul 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM ]
Walsh would pull him from return duty and leave him in the slot.

Once you have mental errors like that and you aren't Montana, Rice, Taylor, Craig, Lott, Young or whoever else...Walsh wouldn't gamble on you in the playoffs.

He'll be fine in the season, then in the playoffs with the spotlight on, his head will flash back on a guy like that.

Really good slot receiver, but don't put him in that return spot in the big spotlight after those mental conditions.

Its why Jordan gets the ball in key situations in the championship game and Rodman dresses like a girl and thinks he brokered world peace with the communists.
Share 49ersWebzone