LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Whos the KR/PR for the 2013 season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Kentwan Balmer

U said what everyone was thinking
Originally posted by Disp:
It feels like I watched a different 2012 season than some of you. Ted Ginn was reliable last year? He had 4 fumbles/muffed punts, and almost had another against the Patriots. Not to mention his complete lack of awareness by not falling on the ball against the Rams on that botched play, leading to a defensive TD. He was elite in 2011. He was borderline liability last year, and I was scared every time he touched the ball.

I expect it to be KW as PR and James for kicks.

BS, he lost one fumble on a punt, first time he lost a punt as a 49er. He recovered the other 3. Name me one punt returner who hasn't muffed punts. Then Kaepernick airmailed a handoff to Ginn against the Rams, that somehow got blamed on Ginn. Ginn is the best punt returner the 49ers have had since John Taylor. Arnaz Battle? Delanie Walker? Philip Adams? God, please no We used to lose games on fumbled punts deep in our own territory. Returning punts is one of the most difficult things to do in football that fans take for granted.

Ginn had extremely steady hands and awareness up until this last year. We had generally poor special teams play all around ie. David Akers. Hard to pin all the blame on one guy. Sometimes people don't know a good thing until it's gone.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135466/Ginn-Jr-has-huge-return
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by Disp:
It feels like I watched a different 2012 season than some of you. Ted Ginn was reliable last year? He had 4 fumbles/muffed punts, and almost had another against the Patriots. Not to mention his complete lack of awareness by not falling on the ball against the Rams on that botched play, leading to a defensive TD. He was elite in 2011. He was borderline liability last year, and I was scared every time he touched the ball.

I expect it to be KW as PR and James for kicks.

Good post

Not really.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I was just thinking how great ted ginn played last year for us and was wondering who is going to fill his shoes this year. LMJ I suppose is in the lead but he was shaky last season. Ginn constantly put its in good field position last season and I think his departure is being overlooked.

Ginn was not great last year. He was mediocre at best. I think Kyle Williams will return punts and James will return kicks. James wasn't really ready last year, but he will tear it up this year. Kyle will be an upgrade over Ginn. Ginn was becoming a liability both as a WR and PR. He doesn't deserve a spot on our final 53.
I think James will do both.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KR will be LMJ
PR will be kW

This, Then KW gets hurt like he always does, LMJ will handle both
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SaksV:
I wouldn't count Marlon Moore out

of course this is the truth,, he is my webzone favored son! i think he makes the roster as a wide out, doing more than ginn ever did,,, a great kick and punt returner and a demon on special teams
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I was just thinking how great ted ginn played last year for us and was wondering who is going to fill his shoes this year. LMJ I suppose is in the lead but he was shaky last season. Ginn constantly put its in good field position last season and I think his departure is being overlooked.

Ginn was ok last year but nothing special. Loved the consistency he showed, but saying that he played "great" in that role is a real stretch.

Originally posted by cciowa:
james and hunter will do kicks and will do them very well.... punt return is kyle who will be fine but if he gets hurt, then what. james better get better in a hurry and jenkins better show us something. punt return is a concern if kyle gets hurt.. oh and ginn was horrid last year for gods sake.. his best thing he did was run five yards and then go out of bounce. ginn played great for us,, hahahah

Special Teams as a whole were less productive last season than in 2011. Ginn has proven himself to be an elite return man. Whats not to like? 4.2 speed and reliable catching punts. More than we can say for ole KDub and ill leave it at that. As for LMJ, he was definitely not ready for those duties last year so how do we know he can do it this year?
your talk about ginn was the year before, ginn was garbage last year. five yards and lets run out of bounds, You know he even lost his kick return job to james so that tells me he is far from "eleite". james proved he can do the job in the kick return game. Kyle is fine as a punt returner unless you know something I do not know. kyle proved he can do those duties last year so lets just stop living in the past in regards to kyle
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KR will be LMJ
PR will be kW

This, Then KW gets hurt like he always does, LMJ will handle both
james had better work on this cuz I am not sure he can do the job if kyle gets hurt. that is why i hope moore and jenkins can show us something in this area. after kyle punt return is a need
Agree WRT Marlon Moore...kid's got 3 yrs of ST's under his belt and could be a factor. Perrish Cox also has return abilities. In short, there's no lack of guys who can fill those roles. As for Ginn, he was sure-handed, but seemed to revert to his "I'd rather run out of bounds than cut it upfield" mentality. We need more consistent explosiveness on KR's and have more than enough guys to show that.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Agree WRT Marlon Moore...kid's got 3 yrs of ST's under his belt and could be a factor. Perrish Cox also has return abilities. In short, there's no lack of guys who can fill those roles. As for Ginn, he was sure-handed, but seemed to revert to his "I'd rather run out of bounds than cut it upfield" mentality. We need more consistent explosiveness on KR's and have more than enough guys to show that.
good post. I keep forgetting about cox who is respectable as a back up punt returner. I think alot of posters , for some reason, got ginn of last year mixed up with the ginn of two years ago. Moore will also bring more to the wide out spot than ginn ever did. Ginn was a one trick pony and a one trick pony will only take you to a few towns. we got our moneys worth out of ginn(6th round draft choice? 4th? i forgot) and we will be better with kyle at punt return and james/hunter at kickoff return in my opinion
Frank Gore
I know he looked terrible handling punts last preseason but if he can clean that up, i'd like to see LMJ's pulling PR and KR duties.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KegBert:
I know he looked terrible handling punts last preseason but if he can clean that up, i'd like to see LMJ's pulling PR and KR duties.

i would like to think this is the case. i would like to think he and the coaches will work on this a ton in the next two months.
Originally posted by KegBert:

LMJ, worked on Punts all through out the season last year and has continued to work on them this off season. Im sure he has a better handle on it
Share 49ersWebzone