LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 335 users in the forums

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Has any Belichick coach had success? Mangini had that one good year with the Jets then imploded. Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo? My favorite is Josh McDaniels, he always reminded me of Bighat in Spaceballs. I've stopped trying to critique what Coach and Baalke do, if they think Mangini can be an asset it's okay with me.

They have had success just not as a head coach's. With Wise and Romeo at Kansas City they were 14th in points (23rd in 09) and 12th in yards (25th in 09) and 11th in points given up (29th in 09) and 14th in yards given up (30th in 09).
doesn't hurt. collecting talent.
Questioning Baalke is just stupid these days
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I think he would be a great addition to our coaching staff. He has been an anaylis for espn and has really broken down 49er pistol offense with great detail. In the play offs our secondary got torched so I suspect he will be an advisor to Jim and will tell him what our defense needs to improve against certain offenses as well.
Just bc someone flames out as a head coach doesn't make him bad at coaching in general. There are tons of bad head coaches that are great assistants.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Also the reason Mangini is so bad on ESPN is he doesn't want to burn any NFL bridges so he stays neutral on everything.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Has any Belichick coach had success? Mangini had that one good year with the Jets then imploded. Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo? My favorite is Josh McDaniels, he always reminded me of Bighat in Spaceballs. I've stopped trying to critique what Coach and Baalke do, if they think Mangini can be an asset it's okay with me.

Totally agree! So far they've hit home on most of their plan so if they think Mangini can help then I'm all in. Given their decisions over the last three seasons I say we should support them, we owe that much I think. I can't see how any fan can be against this. Consultants are good tools in that they aren't apart of the organization and therefore can render honest unmolested advice and insight. And Eric Mangini is a very smart football guy to have as a consultant.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
great DC, s**tty HC... im for it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Maybe they are just preparing in case Fangio leaves for a HC job, which I think he deserves.
Wait...is it April 1st?

in 2010 Mangini took a scrappy Cleveland defense, and a "No Mistakes" rookie Colt Mccoy, and beat NO & NE. Came close to beating Pitsburgh if not for POS recievers.
If Harbaugh is on board with it, then it's golden. You guys must be undercover shehawk fans, SMH.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Maybe they are just preparing in case Fangio leaves for a HC job, which I think he deserves.

I think its more looking for Ed Donatell replacement when he leaves for a DC job.
Mangini is a proven coordinator on defense.

Think about it... Harbaugh wants a consultant for the offensive side because it would be too time intensive for Fangio to go in on offensive meetings to help them out. Fangio can focus on defense, and Mangini can be in on the offensive meetings lending his expertise.

What other DC's are available that would be ranked higher than this guy as a consultant? I cant think of any off the top of my head.
our db's need the extra help b/c they couldn't locate the ball for s**t.
Share 49ersWebzone