There are 216 users in the forums

The Baalke Effect...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Releasing Iupati?

Iupati is under contract for the coming year.

We are not going to release him this year.

Next year, after this season, he becomes a free agent.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Time to bring this thread back ......
So if I'm Baalke, I do go after a FA WR that's ready to contribute on day one Offensive staff doesn't have the chops to quickly develop a rook into a day one contributor. Look at every rook's contribution since Harbs has taken over the 49ers; they have been role players at best. I'm all for getting a deep speed receiver through free agency.

That means I make this into a major defensive draft priorities at CB, OLB/DT, OG, WR, QB, .....

Also means we're releasing:

Iupati
Whitner
Rogers
Brown
Goodwin
Manningham

Keeping :

Osgood
Dawson
Boldin
I don't really disagree just pointing out that in this offense a FA or draftee at WR doesn't need to be a day one contributor unless they have a injury. If Boldin and Crabs are back then whoever the 3rd/4th wr will barely see the field regardless of how they are acquired.
Last year we traded up to the 18th pick for Reid. I could see Baalke trading up to the 15th pick. I really would like Mike Evans
we have the best owner, gm, hc and qb in the league
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
we have the best owner, gm, hc and qb in the league

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Last year we traded up to the 18th pick for Reid. I could see Baalke trading up to the 15th pick. I really would like Mike Evans

I accept this as possible, maybe even desirable. But with Crabtree, Boldin and Patton I just have this doubt. Another top notch receiver would be great, though.

Maybe Baalke will surprise us this year?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Time to bring this thread back ......

So if I'm Baalke, I do go after a FA WR that's ready to contribute on day one. Offensive staff doesn't have the chops to quickly develop a rook into a day one contributor. Look at every rook's contribution since Harbs has taken over the 49ers; they have been role players at best. I'm all for getting a deep speed receiver through free agency.

That means I make this into a major defensive draft priorities at CB, OLB/DT, OG, WR, QB, .....

Also means we're releasing:

Iupati
Whitner
Rogers
Brown
Goodwin
Manningham

Keeping :

Osgood
Dawson
Boldin

Agree with everything except Witner? I hope we can sign him...but if replaced then who is our starting Safety?
Are we down already on Patton? I think he showed some flashes in limited duty. I think the answer to our passing game is not to go out and sign everyone and see what sticks; the key is to maximize what we have.
I think Baalke has done a wonderful job of making this team competitive. I think he will do the same again for us this year. He has some people to resign and a cap to deal with. He has a lot of draft picks, and he has the free agency coming up. So we will see a lot of activity this year, as in each year. So I suspect we will be back in the championship game, and hopefully this year we will take the next step and win it. We need at least two CBs, a safety, two WRs, and we need to fill the holes in our defense especially around ILB - Wilhoite, and a draft pick, and then the eternal line issues on both offense and defense. Lets get her done.
Isnt he awsome

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I accept this as possible, maybe even desirable. But with Crabtree, Boldin and Patton I just have this doubt. Another top notch receiver would be great, though.

Maybe Baalke will surprise us this year?

It'll have to be higher than 15th. The Steelers want a "big" receiver early according to basically every Steelers beat writer. The Post-Gazette said that Colbert has even had discussions with Roethlisberger to let him know they are finally fulfilling his years old request for a big bodied WR. Sure they could go with a 2nd rounder but if Evans is on the board at 15 they'll take him.

Ravens also need a real starter opposite Torrey Smith. They pick 17th, Rams may take a WR at 13 if they don't take Watkins at 2 or trade back and still take him in top 10.

Jets at 18 will likely take a WR in round 1 if not the 2nd. Especially if they don't land Maclin and/or Sanders in FA.

Baalke would likely have to trade up to top 10 to get a WR. I'm against this unless we end up somehow losing Boldin.
Nice synopsis for how we were built. How big were some of these 2nd and 3rd tier FA (UDFA) and trade-signings?

In fact, the team has drafted 29 of its players, signed 30 of them through free agency while also trading for three and claiming two others through the waiver process.

Draft: P Andy Lee

Draft: RB Frank Gore

Draft: TE Vernon Davis

Draft: LB Patrick Willis, LT Joe Staley, CB Tarell Brown*, DT Ray McDonald

Free agency: DT Justin Smith
Waivers: LB Ahmad Brooks

Free agency: RG Alex Boone
Draft: WR Michael Crabtree

Free agency: CB Tramaine Brock
Waivers: S C.J. Spillman
Draft: RT Anthony Davis, LG Mike Iupati, LB NaVorro Bowman, RB Anthony Dixon*

Free agency: DT Demarcus Dobbs, C Jonathan Goodwin*, CB Carlos Rogers, S Donte Whitner*, NT Ian Williams, LB Michael Wilhoite
Draft: LB Aldon Smith, QB Colin Kaepernick, CB Chris Culliver, RB Kendall Hunter, OL Daniel Kilgore, FB Bruce Miller

Free agency: WR Mario Manningham*, TE Garrett Celek
Draft: RB LaMichael James, G Joe Looney, LB Darius Fleming

Free agency: DT Tony Jerod-Eddie, NT Glenn Dorsey, LB Dan Skuta, S Craig Dahl, K Phil Dawson*, OL Adam Snyder, FB Alex Debniak, OT Luke Marquardt, LS Kevin McDermott, DT Lawrence Okoye, S Bubba Ventrone, CB Eric Wright*, WR Kassim Osgood*, S Darryl Morris, TE Derek Carrier, G Ryan Seymour, FB Will Tukuafu, CB Perrish Cox
Trade: WR Anquan Boldin, QB Colt McCoy*, WR Jon Baldwin
Draft: S Eric Reid, DT Tank Carradine, TE Vance McDonald, LB Corey Lemonier, WR Quinton Patton, RB Marcus Lattimore, DL Quinton Dial, LB Nick Moody

Read more at http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/How-the-49ers-Were-Built-via-Draft-Free-Agency/0f748bb3-1515-4f23-9b54-ae0b7e9242c5
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 6, 2014 at 6:39 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for Constantine.
its awsome.... isnt it
Originally posted by Constantine:
its awsome.... isnt it

I think so, esp. last year. He hit on every single one of these guys for last year: DT Tony Jerod-Eddie, NT Glenn Dorsey, LB Dan Skuta, S Craig Dahl, K Phil Dawson*, OL Adam Snyder, LS Kevin McDermott, S Bubba Ventrone, CB Eric Wright*, WR Kassim Osgood*, S Darryl Morris, FB Will Tukuafu & CB Perrish Cox

These are the other FA's he didn't hit on for last year's contributions but...
FB Alex Debniak - probably would have been huge for us but got hurt early and Harbaugh didn't go with Jason Schepler or Owen Mericic and even Will Tukuafu got hurt after Miller did. It cost us more than we realized.
OT Luke Marquardt - nothing but glowing reports about this guys shape/size/upside
DT Lawrence Okoye - has now had a full year learning the pro game and being coached by Tomsula
TE Derek Carrier - started hearing good things about him last year (a replacement for Celek?)
G Ryan Seymour - hearing good things about this guy for 2014

So in short, every single FA pick up Baalke had last year panned out last year (some in a HUGE way) and there is a chance some will pan out this year for us as well!

I'd expect a few more of these under-the-radar picks this year as well.
I wonder if there's any chance that the plan at QB could wind up being to let Kap play out his final year on contract, franchise him next year, then go after Andrew Luck in 2016.
Share 49ersWebzone