There are 161 users in the forums

The Baalke Effect...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can't argue with wins.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Beeker:
Yeah, especially after giving Flake-o 6 years $120 mil .... they just effectively killed their franchise. Good for them! They deserve it.

Flacco better learn the pistol read option because that's what's coming. lol
I laughed for real out load. But point is Colin is going to command a contract of 100+ million soon too. Along with aldon were going to be looking at about 200+ million for 2 players, No including resign of Mike and Davis. Better draft colins replacement now cause were not going to have the money to resign him. Hell might want to lock him up long term now before it get's out of hand.

Damn no way we let a franchise QB walk. Pay the man and draft well.

and thats just what baltimore did and yet somehow they're getting hate for it. ozzie newsome drafts really well and i'll think they'll be fine. what were they supposed to do let their sb mvp who just threw 11 tds and no picks in the playoffs walk away? lol
I wonder if AJ was drafted last yr for this one. Kap was drafted a yr before JH /TB really were able to use him. Remember crabs, he didn't sign for half a yr, and didn't really contribute until last yr, now this yr in a big way. Any chance that is what TB was doing with AJ, or was this just a "miss". I have not given up hope on AJ being the guy we thot he was when he was drafted, but just didn't realize that our two guys, Trent and Jim, are playing chess, while other F.O.s are playing checkers...and in the third dimension, no less, which includes time. ARE THEY THAT GOOD? My money is on JH and TB. I just think they are playing an entirely different game than the rest of the crowd. Aldon didn't turn out too badly either. And of course there is Kap. Plus in the interim, JH got alex on track, thus bringing in a boatload of picks, plus that high 2nd this yr. Jeez, how much better could you ask your F.O to be?
Originally posted by VANiner:
I gotta say, with the new league year soon getting under way and the 9ers seemingly involved with numerous "supposed" trade rumors, it is interesting how much Baalke's GM style has effected me. With the success over the past two years or so and the personnel decisions that have been made (ie. rewarding "in-house" players as opposed to shopping for high-priced replacements, waiting for the second wave of free agency to hit as opposed to jumping on the big names and moving around the drafts to accumulate stock for the future, etc.), I have become a true believer.

I, like many fans I would assume, used to always want to snag a big name in free agency or make a blockbuster trade for a high draft pick, but after watching the success Baalke and Co. have brought to the team with their philosophy, I am on board. When I read articles about our "interest" in guys like Revis, Harvin, Bowe, etc., I kind of laugh it off as uninformed media folks writing about what they don't know a thing about. On that note, Mike Sando who covers the NFC West for ESPN, is about the only writer I have seen shoot down most of these rumors...because he actually pays attention to the team.

In past years, I would have liked the idea of grabbing a Revis or a Bowe (and to be honest, I do kind of like the potential of a Harvin/Kaepernick combo), but not anymore. Baalke, at least to this point, has really shown he knows what the heck he is doing and it would be tough to challenge his philosophy at this point.

Uh, but Baalke regularly goes after big names. Just last year we went after Peyton. The year before we made offers to both Aso and Jonathan Joseph. And you can bet that every team in the league including us will be on Revis' heels the second March 12th arrives.

Don't get me wrong though, your point isn't lost on me. I do like that Baalke doesn't hesitate to go after big names but he is very smart about it (i.e. won't overpay).
[ Edited by baltien on Mar 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM ]
Originally posted by baltien:
Uh, but Baalke regularly goes after big names. Just last year we went after Peyton. The year before we made offers to both Aso and Jonathan Joseph. And you can bet that every team in the league including us will be on Revis' heels the second March 12th arrives.

Don't get me wrong though, your point isn't lost on me. I do like that Baalke doesn't hesitate to go after big names but he is very smart about it (i.e. won't overpay).

But he's not willing to break the bank for those players. Baalke wants guys at his price. He's not willing to overpay for guys.
Originally posted by baltien:
I gotta say, with the new league year soon getting under way and the 9ers seemingly involved with numerous "supposed" trade rumors, it is interesting how much Baalke's GM style has effected me. With the success over the past two years or so and the personnel decisions that have been made (ie. rewarding "in-house" players as opposed to shopping for high-priced replacements, waiting for the second wave of free agency to hit as opposed to jumping on the big names and moving around the drafts to accumulate stock for the future, etc.), I have become a true believer.

I, like many fans I would assume, used to always want to snag a big name in free agency or make a blockbuster trade for a high draft pick, but after watching the success Baalke and Co. have brought to the team with their philosophy, I am on board. When I read articles about our "interest" in guys like Revis, Harvin, Bowe, etc., I kind of laugh it off as uninformed media folks writing about what they don't know a thing about. On that note, Mike Sando who covers the NFC West for ESPN, is about the only writer I have seen shoot down most of these rumors...because he actually pays attention to the team.

In past years, I would have liked the idea of grabbing a Revis or a Bowe (and to be honest, I do kind of like the potential of a Harvin/Kaepernick combo), but not anymore. Baalke, at least to this point, has really shown he knows what the heck he is doing and it would be tough to challenge his philosophy at this point.

I hear you, I should have been more specific. Of course he has looked into big names. It would be negligent for him not to. My point was he does not get into bidding wars on guys. This front office seems to set a market price for a guy, and then stick with it like concrete. Basically, this is the reason we don't land any big names, because they are overpaid by other desperate teams.

I'm sure TB will look into Revis, Bowe, Harvin, etc. Just expect that he will hang up the phone when the Jets are asking for a 1st and 2nd rounder, the Vikings ask for a 1st rounder, or Bowe asks for 13 million per year.
I hear you, I should have been more specific. Of course he has looked into big names. It would be negligent for him not to. My point was he does not get into bidding wars on guys. This front office seems to set a market price for a guy, and then stick with it like concrete. Basically, this is the reason we don't land any big names, because they are overpaid by other desperate teams.

I'm sure TB will look into Revis, Bowe, Harvin, etc. Just expect that he will hang up the phone when the Jets are asking for a 1st and 2nd rounder, the Vikings ask for a 1st rounder, or Bowe asks for 13 million per year.

As he should. Really I'm just glad that at we're now able to entertain these kinds of conversations. Not too long ago, NOBODY wanted to come to the bay.

Now we have the luxury of turning a lot of these cats down.
Gotta give credit where credit is due. Whomever is responsible for negotiating a 2nd rounder plus a conditional pick next year for Smitty was is an absolute genius. I also gotta credit Harbaugh for masking the many inefficiencies in Smiths game that made it look like he was an integral part of the offense and therefore creating value out of thin air. This coaching staff and front office rocks and i'm lovin it.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
But he's not willing to break the bank for those players. Baalke wants guys at his price. He's not willing to overpay for guys.

Correct, Baalke will not give up so much to get the big names that thr team will lose its key players … I like that.
Apparently we are into Analytics and other very pragmatic approaches. It may sound dehumanizing but, this is all handled this quite un-emotionally. Like grading beef and ignoring "non-essential" human qualities. Like us buying a car. You might like the Corvette but, for the price ...might not be good value.

I have been a little surprised at our casual attitude towards Soapoaga and Francois ($4 mill and $2 mill) thinking starting NTs don't grow on trees. But then we are looking at Jenkins for around $1.5? It's all about "what you get for the money". And to make this fly, you have to come up with some numerical value system (and it has to be right) and rate every friggin' player in the NFL and upcoming in the draft.

Also find it interesting that the Front Office was quoted that they "view FA as retail and the draft as wholesale". Apparently they would much rather purchase their "groceries" at COSTCO rather than 7-11. They are willing to bag it themselves and do want help taking it to the car (and don't want to pay extra for those services).
[ Edited by OldJoe on Mar 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM ]

to keep this team good long term just build through the draft--the team is already built as is! Amendola at WR could be a good pickup if he isn't expensive but other than that no big time free agents. I would try to resign Goldson if possible then let sopoaga and RJF go and draft 4-5 DL in the draft.
Trent is The MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS GO BSU BEAVERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the Baalke Effect because it keeps the team real and functional. He does the following:
1. He has developed a philosophy of drafting and FA acquisitions that is effective.
2. He is willing to get input from all involved and then makes a plan and is willing to carry it out.
3. He drafts players for his system, the 49er system, not to make others happy, including the webzone.
4. He knows the value of FAs and is not willing to break the bank to get them.
5. The draft is a cheaper form of selecting good players, than FA is.
6. He is willing to go after players, and he is ok with waiting for players in the draft.
7. He knows how to play the game with other teams and getting two high draft picks for A. Smith, while honoring Alex's request to be traded was masterful.
8. He is drafting for the team needs as he sees it, not how we see it.
9. He is willing to let players mature into the system.
10. He is willing to develop players and then pay players what the going price is and still keep them happy on a good team.
11. He knows how to accumulate draft picks.
12. He will draft the players he thinks will benefit the team.
13. He may, or may not use all of the draft picks, and then undrafted free agents, and then let the Training Camp settle the question of who are players that the team can use. He will get the team the players and then the coaches have to develop them.
With Baalke as GM the team has gone to the playoffs two times and will try for number three this next season.
Just think back to when lilmikey noln demanded to be HC and GM. We have come a long , long way since then. Getting the Dr out of F.O. was a huge improvement, then getting jeb involved, slowly at first, then more exec power, and then he seems to have become his uncle's clone....get out of the way, give the GM/HC what they want and then sit back and watch the wins stack up. So far his choice for Gm and HC have been pretty stellar. Baalke is just superb at what he does and not paying Wallace 125 mil last yr, when i really wanted him was the right choice. Last i checked, wallace is still for sale and no takers at $125 mil.

Baalke's aversion to overpaying come-ons, and paying for production (p-52, bowman, brooks, OL, Justin, et al) is of course the right way to do it. Paying a guy like wallace $125 mil, or 80 mil, would just cock up our salary cap, and baalke puts winners and producers way ahead of high priced WRs, CBs, DLs, etc.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Baltimore Ravens going to wish they had Trent Baalke.

Believe it

Never. Ozzie is loved by all the raven players. he related as a minority and player
Share 49ersWebzone