LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 165 users in the forums

The Baalke Effect...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Beeker:
Yeah, especially after giving Flake-o 6 years $120 mil .... they just effectively killed their franchise. Good for them! They deserve it.

Flacco better learn the pistol read option because that's what's coming. lol
I laughed for real out load. But point is Colin is going to command a contract of 100+ million soon too. Along with aldon were going to be looking at about 200+ million for 2 players, No including resign of Mike and Davis. Better draft colins replacement now cause were not going to have the money to resign him. Hell might want to lock him up long term now before it get's out of hand.

!?!

Wha?

Colin ain't going anywhere. BTW, they CAN'T lock him up now. The CBA won't allow you to redo a deal until after that players 3rd year.
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Baltimore Ravens going to wish they had Trent Baalke.

Believe it

Never. Ozzie is loved by all the raven players. he related as a minority and player

f**k the ravens. giving flacco peyton manning tom brady money. the organization will suffer for this fiscal investment
The success has come mainly from Jim Harbaugh, not Baalke. Big FA's have had a huge impact on this team (Justin Smith, Donte Whitner, David Akers (well last year at least), Goodwin, Manningham, Moss, etc).

And our core players mostly came from McCloughan (Gore, Staley, Willis, Vernon, Crabtree, Boone, Walker, Goldson, Brown, Brooks).

So really the success mostly comes from finding a real coach who can utilize the talent. So funny when people say we shouldn't sign big FA's when our entire defense hinges on our big FA Justin Smith, with him out our defense sucks (see Super Bowl).
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
The success has come mainly from Jim Harbaugh, not Baalke. Big FA's have had a huge impact on this team (Justin Smith, Donte Whitner, David Akers (well last year at least), Goodwin, Manningham, Moss, etc).

And our core players mostly came from McCloughan (Gore, Staley, Willis, Vernon, Crabtree, Boone, Walker, Goldson, Brown, Brooks).

So really the success mostly comes from finding a real coach who can utilize the talent. So funny when people say we shouldn't sign big FA's when our entire defense hinges on our big FA Justin Smith, with him out our defense sucks (see Super Bowl).

Who got us Harbaugh?

I am pretty sure that it was Baalke.

So, it seems we have got to give the guy some credit.

It's both Harbaugh and Baalke.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
But he's not willing to break the bank for those players. Baalke wants guys at his price. He's not willing to overpay for guys.

this x1000000
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Significant FAs for the 2014 offseason include: Donte Whitner, Justin Smith, Tarell Brown, and Jonathan Goodwin.

Don't be surprised if the replacements for several of those guys are found in this draft. None of them will receive a major long-term commitment that would hamper our ability to lock up our younger guys down the road.

Significant FAs for the 2015 offseason include: Colin Kaepernick, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Frank Gore, and Chris Culliver.

In order to prepare for the 2015 offseason, I think you'll see us avoid any guarantees to Dashon Goldson beyond 2 years. He will command a longer term deal obviously, but he'll receive most of his money up front. 2014 will likely be Frank's last year with us, so that won't be a concern. It is going to take some creative juggling to get Kap, Crab, Aldon, Davis, and Iupati all locked up, but I think it can and will be done.

I think the stockpiling of draft picks this year has a lot to do with the offseason of 2015. The more young, cheap talent we can add through the draft, the easier it becomes to retain all of those guys.

Nice post. Baalke, very much appreciate you. I was sold when you outlined the proper characteristics of an OLB in the 3-4 (Aldon). I knew at that moment you knew what you were doing.

OK, your work is cut out for you as noted above.

For this year we need:
NT (quality)
DE (high quality)
OLB (quality - pass rusher/potential starter)
FS (high quality) or CB (high quality)
WR (high quality)
T (quality)
TE (quality - tall 6'6" RZ threat)

Keep me posted...

PS: Keep the cap in order: guys most likely cut are Whitner, Rogers, Manningham, Goodwin, Gore, etc. in the near future So focus on Brown, Kaepernick, Crabtree, Aldon, Davis, Iupati, and Culliver.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM ]

I think we may disagree on what is considered a "big name FA". Of the ones you listed, only Justin Smith was a big name that signed a big contract with us. However, that was 5 years ago, well before Baalke was the primary personnel decision-maker. I don't consider Whitner, Akers, Goodwin, Manningham, Moss, etc. to fall into the "big name FA" category. Were any of these guys considered prizes of free-agency? Did any of them sign significant contracts with us? The answer to both questions is no. Signing FAs is a necessity for every team. Signing them to value-based contracts is where Baalke has really done well.

As for the guys McGloughan brought in, that's great and we should be thankful for it. Baalke at least knew enough that we had talented guys here and that they should be rewarded and built around. It was his decision to work most of the contracts of the guys you mentioned so that they will be here for years.

I'm not saying we shouldn't ever sign a big FA or make a big trade . I'm saying it is not the teams M.O. to do so anymore and that is basically because of Baalke.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Yes, it's both. There is no way Harbaugh made the decisions in his rookie coaching year, without even being able to meet the players, to decide to draft, start and sign:
McDonald, Brooks, Bowman, Brown, move Soap to NT, a then sign, Whitner, Rogers, and then draft, Aldon, Culliver. That's seven starters out of eleven, and two big role-players. Our defense was overhauled that first year because of Baalke. There is no way Harbaugh knew enough about our team at the time to make these personnel decisions.

Yes, it's both. There is no way Harbaugh made the decisions in his rookie coaching year, without even being able to meet the players, to decide to draft, start and sign:
McDonald, Brooks, Bowman, Brown, move Soap to NT, a then sign, Whitner, Rogers, and then draft, Aldon, Culliver. That's seven starters out of eleven, and two big role-players. Our defense was overhauled that first year because of Baalke. There is no way Harbaugh knew enough about our team at the time to make these personnel decisions.

Originally posted by BrianGO:

Good post.

To me, it's fairly obvious that Baalke is making the final decisions on the composition of the Niners squad. With a bunch of input from Paraag and, of course, Harbaugh and let's not forget some of his assistant coaches. No way Harbaugh is leading this effort; he doesn't have the time to devote to identifying the players.
Some may downplay Baalke's contribution, but as you and other's have pointed out, he (and Paraag) are the one that ensures that the team only brings in and drafts the positions that maintain the teams viability. In this salary cap environment, judiciously managing the mix of players and how they are paid is the most crucial aspect of maintaining a team's competitiveness. And that's all Baalke and the COO.

Also, Baalke is a real GM; not one in name only. IMO he is the final word. I read when he was hired that he was insistent on that point and I believe it too. He's gracious and not egocentric, so he doesn't lord this over Harbaugh as some GMs do over their coaches, but he is above Harbaugh in the organizational ranking. Harbaugh runs on about wanting Moss back and paying Goldson, etc, etc., (he's a bit loose in that way) but its Baalke behind the scenes whose pulling the strings, working in concert with the coaches and salary cap manager.
Interesting column from Lowell Cohn of all people on Trent Baalke. One of the more interesting quotes to me ....

I mentioned former 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, now in Seattle, helped build the current Niners — Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley. There are more. Does Baalke ever think about the odd circumstance of McCloughan having a hand in developing the rival Niners and Seahawks?

"Do I think about that?" Baalke said. "I guess not from that angle. A lot of people have had a hand in building this team. It certainly isn't just Scot and me. Coach (Mike) Nolan came here with the profile and the philosophy of how we were going to take over the NFC West down the road. We still follow what he was trying to build. What he had set out to build here is still in play. That's why so many of the players are still here. They were the building blocks for this foundation and we have continued to build to that foundation."

http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/17848/trent-baalke-and-friends/
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Interesting column from Lowell Cohn of all people on Trent Baalke. One of the more interesting quotes to me ....

I mentioned former 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, now in Seattle, helped build the current Niners — Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley. There are more. Does Baalke ever think about the odd circumstance of McCloughan having a hand in developing the rival Niners and Seahawks?

"Do I think about that?" Baalke said. "I guess not from that angle. A lot of people have had a hand in building this team. It certainly isn't just Scot and me. Coach (Mike) Nolan came here with the profile and the philosophy of how we were going to take over the NFC West down the road. We still follow what he was trying to build. What he had set out to build here is still in play. That's why so many of the players are still here. They were the building blocks for this foundation and we have continued to build to that foundation."

http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/17848/trent-baalke-and-friends/

interesting, this validates a thought I've had for a while, Nolan would be a good GM. He's not a good head coach (good DC though), I think if he ever decides to go upstairs for a team he'll do a good job.
Agree, I also think Nolan sucked as a HC but would be a very good GM.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Time to bring this thread back ......

So if I'm Baalke, I do go after a FA WR that's ready to contribute on day one. Offensive staff doesn't have the chops to quickly develop a rook into a day one contributor. Look at every rook's contribution since Harbs has taken over the 49ers; they have been role players at best. I'm all for getting a deep speed receiver through free agency.

That means I make this into a major defensive draft priorities at CB, OLB/DT, OG, WR, QB, .....

Also means we're releasing:

Iupati
Whitner
Rogers
Brown
Goodwin
Manningham

Keeping :

Osgood
Dawson
Boldin

Releasing Iupati?