There are 304 users in the forums

Do we have a bad fan base compared to the rest of the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Normally id be insulted by a comment like that but your entitled to your own opinion of our fan bases behavior. I think your opinion on my comment is a little misconceived. I meant more how some children learn from there parents maybe indirectly that the opponants and there fans are the "enemy" but you can spin it yourway too. I guess i was brought up by a*****es. But i personally would much rather and opposing fan base in my teams house be uncomfortable then making themselves at home.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
if you have a son and is a die hard fan of whatever team..without any doubt he will taunt an opposing fan at a sporting event
I'm sure that's true if you haven't taken the time to teach your son not to be an a-hole.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
if you have a son and is a die hard fan of whatever team..without any doubt he will taunt an opposing fan at a sporting event
I'm sure that's true if you haven't taken the time to teach your son not to be an a-hole.

you can teach any kid to be the most respectful, but when a boy goes through jr high, high school and plays sports and starts hanging out with friends..he learns competitiveness and to dis-like the opposing team

not that hard to understand where taunting comes from.....but to take it further like violence is something else.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Normally id be insulted by a comment like that but your entitled to your own opinion of our fan bases behavior. I think your opinion on my comment is a little misconceived. I meant more how some children learn from there parents maybe indirectly that the opponants and there fans are the "enemy" but you can spin it yourway too. I guess i was brought up by a*****es. But i personally would much rather and opposing fan base in my teams house be uncomfortable then making themselves at home.

No misconception here, you clearly made your point re: "occasional misbehavior" being taught as a part of "fanhood". Don't misconstrue what I say. I've not stated this is solely a problem with the 49ers...it's a "societal" thing, where morals and notions of acceptable behavior have declined. But speaking specifically of the 49ers, I can say with no doubt whatsoever that there has been a "coarsening" of the crowds at the Stick over the past decade. I'll say it again: I hope this improves dramatically with the new stadium.

What does "uncomfortable" mean in the context of attending a sporting event...being afraid that at any minute someone might decide to dump a beer on their head or physically assault them?

Does "making themselves at home" mean being able to sit there and enjoy a game same as any other paying customer? If so, please to explain why this would be such a problem for you.
Let's not pretend this is unique to the Niners. As far back as the late 1980's, I was visiting Philadelphia on business and an associate invited me to a Niners-Eagles game. He asked me very nicely not to wear Niners colors or gear and didn't. I wore a black sweater and jacket with khaki pants - very neutral. Two rows in front of us were two fans with Niner gear on. I've never seen such horrendous behavior as was directed towards those two guys. One Eagles fan was thrown out for hitting one of the Niner fans in the back of the head with a half-full can of beer and people were screaming profanity at the two of them throughout the game. The guy who took me kept nudging me with a "see what I mean" kind of look.

By the way, that was the game that Montana threw four TD passes in the 4th quarter for a comeback to win the game. It was hilarious and my friend kept almost holding me down as I would almost by instinct want to jump up and start screaming. Eagles fans were pissed. One of them physically attacked one of the Niner fans as they were walking up the stairs leaving the game with smiles on their faces.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Yep worst fan base ever in the history of all sports didnt you all know the new code of conduct with fans is to welcome opposing fans with a warm hug give them free food and beverages, and to rub there feet after the tiring walk through the aging candlestick...

all sarcasm aside no we do not have a bad fan base or even close to it. Fan bases of all teams forever have misbehaved since the beginning of sports. Some fans have gotten far to soft for live sports and some may have gotten a little rowdier over the years. Most of it comes from new generations of fans and the new mentality of whats acceptable in public settings. Fans are still as rowdy, cuss like crazy sailors, and the violence is still there like it always has been soom fans grew up in households were that type of behavior was totally unacceptable and were sheltered from it, some grew up in households where they were taught occasional misbehavior is all apart of fanhood. Doesnt make any bad fans.

Anyone who teaches their kid to be an a-hole at sporting events isn't just a "bad fan," they are a sh***y parent. Or maybe I'm just "soft" because, even though I don't bring my kids to as many games these days, when I do it's never occurred to me that I should tell them to yell at that dude over there because he's wearing a Rams jersey and then throw peanuts at him.

Um, wrong, but if that's what you choose to believe...
Do you really not understand the meaning of a home field advantage? If fans of opposing teams start making themselves at home more and more fans start appearing year by year thus slowly eliminating the home field advantage because opposing fans are more comfortable at our teams house. Violence is unacceptable in any matter. But all apart of society. The taunting, s**t talking and semi aggresive behavior is and always has been apart of being a fan of any team in any sport and it always will. its competitive nature. A common human behavior.
You want proper attitude & behavior go to golf tournaments.
Yep worst fan base ever in the history of all sports didnt you all know the new code of conduct with fans is to welcome opposing fans with a warm hug give them free food and beverages, and to rub there feet after the tiring walk through the aging candlestick...

all sarcasm aside no we do not have a bad fan base or even close to it. Fan bases of all teams forever have misbehaved since the beginning of sports. Some fans have gotten far to soft for live sports and some may have gotten a little rowdier over the years. Most of it comes from new generations of fans and the new mentality of whats acceptable in public settings. Fans are still as rowdy, cuss like crazy sailors, and the violence is still there like it always has been soom fans grew up in households were that type of behavior was totally unacceptable and were sheltered from it, some grew up in households where they were taught occasional misbehavior is all apart of fanhood. Doesnt make any bad fans.

Anyone who teaches their kid to be an a-hole at sporting events isn't just a "bad fan," they are a sh***y parent. Or maybe I'm just "soft" because, even though I don't bring my kids to as many games these days, when I do it's never occurred to me that I should tell them to yell at that dude over there because he's wearing a Rams jersey and then throw peanuts at him.

Um, wrong, but if that's what you choose to believe...

10 pounds in a 5 pound bag
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM ]
10 pounds in a 5 pound bag

Blivet

Bump

Most fans come from outside of SF to watch and attend the games anyways
I had season tickets and traveled from amador county, I have no problem traveling to Santa Clara.
If they don't go, more room for me
Originally posted by eastbayj:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
To me, any fan that threatens another fan or makes other fans uncomfortable with taunting.

So our job as home team fans is to just keep quiet and only clap at a reasonable level when our team makes a good play... You sir, sound like a wine a cheese-er.

Being a fan is not a job.
I didn't say anything about cheering or clapping.
Threatening is not cheering, taunting to the point where you make someone uncomfortable is not cheering or clapping and it doesn't make you a passionate fan, it makes you a loud-mouthed a*****e most likely showing off because you are in a group or like-minded a*****es.

Violent behavior makes you a bad person and a bad fan. If that is how you grew up it means you were raised by bad people.
the niner fan base needed an instruction video before the season started on when to cheer.
Do you really not understand the meaning of a home field advantage? If fans of opposing teams start making themselves at home more and more fans start appearing year by year thus slowly eliminating the home field advantage because opposing fans are more comfortable at our teams house. Violence is unacceptable in any matter. But all apart of society. The taunting, s**t talking and semi aggresive behavior is and always has been apart of being a fan of any team in any sport and it always will. its competitive nature. A common human behavior.

I think too many fans think they have a large effect on the game. Opposing fans having a good time while visiting another team's stadium has zero effect on the game.
Share 49ersWebzone