LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Do we have a bad fan base compared to the rest of the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Do you really not understand the meaning of a home field advantage? If fans of opposing teams start making themselves at home more and more fans start appearing year by year thus slowly eliminating the home field advantage because opposing fans are more comfortable at our teams house. Violence is unacceptable in any matter. But all apart of society. The taunting, s**t talking and semi aggresive behavior is and always has been apart of being a fan of any team in any sport and it always will. its competitive nature. A common human behavior.

yeah it's always been part of the fan experience, but has it gotten to the point where going to game is more of a gang territory dispute more so than a family experience?

and i'm talking league wide, not just at candlestick.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Do you really not understand the meaning of a home field advantage? If fans of opposing teams start making themselves at home more and more fans start appearing year by year thus slowly eliminating the home field advantage because opposing fans are more comfortable at our teams house. Violence is unacceptable in any matter. But all apart of society. The taunting, s**t talking and semi aggresive behavior is and always has been apart of being a fan of any team in any sport and it always will. its competitive nature. A common human behavior.

yeah it's always been part of the fan experience, but has it gotten to the point where going to game is more of a gang territory dispute more so than a family experience?

and i'm talking league wide, not just at candlestick.

And just because some people have acted like a*****es for years it doesn't mean that it is OK for people to acyt like a*****es today.
and i dunno if someone already brought this up regarding the "move"
but team headquarters has already been in Santa Clara.

the Dallas Cowboys stadium is in Irvin, TX. the New York Jets & Giants stadium is in the state of New Jersey

and when i was still living in the bay, a few of SF natives that i met (granted small sample size) thought that the team shouldn't be allowed to use San Francisco OR 49ers as the team name........ at the same time, they didn't know who the starting QB was at the time. (it was Shaun Hill btw)

if people are going to stop being fans because of this, fine. it just shows how fickle that person is. if you can't attend games because of the new location.... unfortunate, but understandable.....

i'm just saying.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I think too many fans think they have a large effect on the game. Opposing fans having a good time while visiting another team's stadium has zero effect on the game.

I think you largely underestimate the power of the fans. Lets say and this is theoretical, attendance at the stick is 75% faihfuls 25% opposing fans and the d wants the fans makig noise to obstruct the opposing offenses counts timing etc our d has 3/4 of the stadium the scream yell shout whatever to disrupt snap counts etc there d has 25% to try the same. But the next year the fan bases level out to a 60% faithful 40% opposition things are now leveling out opponants offenses have less noise to deal with and our offense has more noise to deal with. i dont know if youve been to the super dome, minnesota or seattle but believe me noise from the fans for the visiting teams does cause alot of issues for that team, and the penalties from the deafening roar of those fans do have an effect on the game.
I think you largely underestimate the power of the fans. Lets say and this is theoretical, attendance at the stick is 75% faihfuls 25% opposing fans and the d wants the fans makig noise to obstruct the opposing offenses counts timing etc our d has 3/4 of the stadium the scream yell shout whatever to disrupt snap counts etc there d has 25% to try the same. But the next year the fan bases level out to a 60% faithful 40% opposition things are now leveling out opponants offenses have less noise to deal with and our offense has more noise to deal with. i dont know if youve been to the super dome, minnesota or seattle but believe me noise from the fans for the visiting teams does cause alot of issues for that team, and the penalties from the deafening roar of those fans do have an effect on the game.

Cheering loudly has nothing to do with intimidating opposing fans to the point where they feel uncomfortable. You can pack the stands and cheer loudly without making fans of the away team feel uncomfortable.

I know that crowd noise matters but I also believe that a lot of fans like to think they are a big factor in their team's performance when they really are not.

Cheering loudly has nothing to do with intimidating opposing fans to the point where they feel uncomfortable. You can pack the stands and cheer loudly without making fans of the away team feel uncomfortable.

I know that crowd noise matters but I also believe that a lot of fans like to think they are a big factor in their team's performance when they really are not.

if crowd noise matters then how can you not think the fans have a part of the teams performance ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

if crowd noise matters then how can you not think the fans have a part of the teams performance ?

I think that fans can have some impact on the game I just don't think it is as big as many fans think it is and I don't think making opposing fans feel uncomfortable affects the game at all.
Heck, a lot of fans think what they wear while watching the game on television affects the outcome of the game.

It all comes down to competitive nature. Some ppl take it to far. But every fan has a different view on what too far is so there really will never be a happy medium for all fans to agree on.
I think that fans can have some impact on the game I just don't think it is as big as many fans think it is and I don't think making opposing fans feel uncomfortable affects the game at all.
Heck, a lot of fans think what they wear while watching the game on television affects the outcome of the game.

Hey now, its only weird if it doesnt work lol.
Crowd noise when our defense is on the field is very important.

Look at Seattle

It all comes down to competitive nature. Some ppl take it to far. But every fan has a different view on what too far is so there really will never be a happy medium for all fans to agree on.

I understand. I just don't think the aggressive posturing or violence is acceptible. If it is something that would get your ass kicked if you were without friends at a bar and said it to a large stranger or something that would bother you if it were said to you and your wife or mother or kids then you shouldn't feel free to let it fly at a game.

As someone who grew up going to Friday night Giants/Dodgers games at the Stick, I will admit to not always following those guidelines in the past but I am not proud of it.

I disagree. When I'm playing a game, I'm as competitive as they come. But when I am watching a game, my nor any other spectator's competitive nature has any bearing on the game on the field. Go ahead, cheer and scream, but do it for/against the teams on the field. Directing it towards opposing fans is just immature and boorish. I'll yell myself hoarse cheering for the Niners, but I've got more important things to worry about than trying to make sure away team fans have a crappy time. If they do, it should be because the 49ers knocked the hell out of their team, not because of some moron 49er fans.

And I think you're coming up with fantasy numbers, theorizing that the split of fans could be 75/25, and oh, if we're not big enough a-holes, it'll be 60/40 next year. The most opposing fans I have ever personally seen at Candlestick was the '97 NFCCG vs. Green Bay. There was green & gold and stupid foam cheeseheads EVERYWHERE. And at the end of the game, most of them were still there going crazy in the rain, and still couldn't have been more than 10K people. 49er home crowds aren't getting taken over by opposing fans anytime soon...ticket prices and airfare will see to that more than some drunk idiot threatening to tear their face off. Point being it is ludicrous to think you're somehow doing some great thing for the 49ers by making sure opposing fans are "uncomfortable."
I understand. I just don't think the aggressive posturing or violence is acceptible. If it is something that would get your ass kicked if you were without friends at a bar and said it to a large stranger or something that would bother you if it were said to you and your wife or mother or kids then you shouldn't feel free to let it fly at a game.

As someone who grew up going to Friday night Giants/Dodgers games at the Stick, I will admit to not always following those guidelines in the past but I am not proud of it.

Honestly I have always had a competitive nature against opposing teams fans during game time, i talk s**t, make them feel "uncomfortable" mainly because it keeps them quiet. I draw the line at "fighting words" but fighting words to me may be a little different from the next man I wont start a fight but i sure as hell will defend myself. But usually after games its back to being humane and friendly even with opposing fans. The only place ive ever been uncomfortable wearing my teams colors is Seattle, even the TSA agents at Sea Tac are dicks to anyone wearing another teams colors, even worse to division rivals to the point they knocked my hat out of the scanning bucket after going through the xray machine to pick it up and advertise I was a 49ers fan.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I disagree. When I'm playing a game, I'm as competitive as they come. But when I am watching a game, my nor any other spectator's competitive nature has any bearing on the game on the field. Go ahead, cheer and scream, but do it for/against the teams on the field. Directing it towards opposing fans is just immature and boorish. I'll yell myself hoarse cheering for the Niners, but I've got more important things to worry about than trying to make sure away team fans have a crappy time. If they do, it should be because the 49ers knocked the hell out of their team, not because of some moron 49er fans.

And I think you're coming up with fantasy numbers, theorizing that the split of fans could be 75/25, and oh, if we're not big enough a-holes, it'll be 60/40 next year. The most opposing fans I have ever personally seen at Candlestick was the '97 NFCCG vs. Green Bay. There was green & gold and stupid foam cheeseheads EVERYWHERE. And at the end of the game, most of them were still there going crazy in the rain, and still couldn't have been more than 10K people. 49er home crowds aren't getting taken over by opposing fans anytime soon...ticket prices and airfare will see to that more than some drunk idiot threatening to tear their face off. Point being it is ludicrous to think you're somehow doing some great thing for the 49ers by making sure opposing fans are "uncomfortable."

Thats why its theoretical.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Crowd noise when our defense is on the field is very important.

Look at Seattle

Architecture and acoustics (and *ahem*, speakers....allegedly) have as much to do with Seattle's noise as anything else.
Share 49ersWebzone