LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

The Akers Effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He cost his team one playoff game. Just one. 3 in one game.

You mean all the other missed field goals had no effect whatsoever?

In 2005, he missed a game-winning field goal against the Jets in the Wild Card round, Chargers ended up losing.

In 2006 he missed a game-tying field goal against the Patriots in the Divisional round, Chargers lost.

In 2009 he missed 3 field goals against the Jets in the Divisional round and the Chargers ended up losing.

I don't even get what you're arguing, his regular season accuracy is 88%, his postseason accuracy is 53%..........

Clearly he's not the same kicker in the playoffs as he is in the regular season.

Meh.

Don't just give up Nick. I'm with you on this.

Kaeding has blown it in the past, but he has the potential and he hasn't blown it for the Niners. He CANNOT be worse than Akers. Akers has been an abject failure. And you just don't reward failure. It sends a horrible message. There has to be repercussions for costing the team two wins and potentially a third.

Even if it's not Kaeding, I'd favor ANY scrub over Akers at this point. Hope the NIners make the move.
Akers wife mad Doe. He keeps missing when her legs are up in the air.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He cost his team one playoff game. Just one. 3 in one game.

You mean all the other missed field goals had no effect whatsoever?

In 2005, he missed a game-winning field goal against the Jets in the Wild Card round, Chargers ended up losing.

In 2006 he missed a game-tying field goal against the Patriots in the Divisional round, Chargers lost.

In 2009 he missed 3 field goals against the Jets in the Divisional round and the Chargers ended up losing.

I don't even get what you're arguing, his regular season accuracy is 88%, his postseason accuracy is 53%..........

Clearly he's not the same kicker in the playoffs as he is in the regular season.

Meh.

Don't just give up Nick. I'm with you on this.

Kaeding has blown it in the past, but he has the potential and he hasn't blown it for the Niners. He CANNOT be worse than Akers. Akers has been an abject failure. And you just don't reward failure. It sends a horrible message. There has to be repercussions for costing the team two wins and potentially a third.

Even if it's not Kaeding, I'd favor ANY scrub over Akers at this point. Hope the NIners make the move.

Definitely prefer Kaeding. Go get him Trent.

If not him, I guess John Kasay?
Kickers are tough to gauge but when Akers is on he is on and when he has been off recently he has been off. At least Akers is fresh off a Pro Bowl season last year, we just have to get it into his head that he needs to be that guy for us the remainder of this season. Now is not the time for tinkering at that position when you know that you have a proven vet you leave him in and ask him to pray more and make the kicks. WTF is with all these a$$holes on these guys twitters. Fuc#ing fans need to get a grip. You are supposed to be 49er fans yet you curse 49er players vehemently on the net for in game errors? What kind of punks are we raising these days. That stuff is soft. If you are a 49er, then act like one and don't mess up team chemistry like Brandon Jacobs was seeming to do
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he's damaged goods. He questions himself before every kick now. Gotta basically expect him to miss every kick. So we better score some TD's.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he's damaged goods. He questions himself before every kick now. Gotta basically expect him to miss every kick. So we better score some TD's.

That is the approach I take. With Kaep in making many explosive plays, we will probably score more TDs and take some pressure off Akers
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Kickers are tough to gauge but when Akers is on he is on and when he has been off recently he has been off. At least Akers is fresh off a Pro Bowl season last year, we just have to get it into his head that he needs to be that guy for us the remainder of this season. Now is not the time for tinkering at that position when you know that you have a proven vet you leave him in and ask him to pray more and make the kicks. WTF is with all these a$$holes on these guys twitters. Fuc#ing fans need to get a grip. You are supposed to be 49er fans yet you curse 49er players vehemently on the net for in game errors? What kind of punks are we raising these days. That stuff is soft. If you are a 49er, then act like one and don't mess up team chemistry like Brandon Jacobs was seeming to do

No need to cuss him out, but he needs to go. You don't reward consistent failure The guy makes like $3.5 mill, doesn't he? I know that's more than Kaepernick for crissakes!.It's ridiculous. That will for sure destroy team chemistry. Everyone on the team is running around averting their eyes . . . trying to avoid looking at him. It's embarassing and awkward.

Kaeding has his skills. Bring him in for less. The players can appreciate that there is accountability on the team. Do the job . . . or move on.
guys he is hurt, you dont lose your job due to injury in this league
Akers has had to take down his Twitter account because of death threats. People, this is ridiculous. Everyone needs to calm down. Yes, he's not having a career year like he did last season, but if you've been a Niner fan for a long time, you know we've had to watch kickers who were a lot less dependable even than he is this year. And, you have to keep things in perspective. It's way to easy to say the Niners are two missed FG's away from 12-2, both of those games featured many more missed opportunities than those missed kicks. The last Rams game for example featured a perfectly thrown floater that klanged off of Delanie Walker's hands in the end zone and the first Rams game featured lots of screw-ups on third and short. It's the ultimate team game.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/12/akers-re-tweets-death-threat-quits-twitter.html

Originally posted by Hitman49:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/12/akers-re-tweets-death-threat-quits-twitter.html

he should worry about making FGs and not internet tough guys on twitter
We are now on the same level as raiders and eagles fans. Our fans are pathetic.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Dec 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM ]
something tells me that Akers' injury isn't being handled correctly. If he's not 100% he should sit while someone else comes in and does the job for a week or 2. when he had the pelvis injury (which he still may have) he should have taken a couple weeks off. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's saying he's okay when he knows he should take a rest just to keep his job
maybe AS can kick
Originally posted by Hitman49:

that's pretty messed up considering what's been going on.
Share 49ersWebzone