LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
What is all this JTO stuff? The only thing the two players(JTO and Kaep) have in common have is they were/are backup qbs to Alex Smith, that's it!!!

That goes back a ways. Joecool was convinced JTO was the next Steve Young... or something like that.
I wouldn't bother getting involved in all that.
Kaep is not ready,Kaep can't do this, Kaep can't do that,Kaep is unproven... Gobble, gobble,gobble... There's only one way to really find out what Kaep is or isn't as a player, that's getting on the field and playing. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I only see one advantage in Alex's favor, a huge one no doubt about that and it is game experience.

Yes, we don't know what CK can really do. I really thought we would see him in the 4th qtr last game, but they held him out. No big deal.
CK is the back up QB, that is fine for now. Smith just had a really good game, no need to call for CK, at least I don't see it. All this stuff seems moot, really. CK will not start unless there is an injury or Smith falls apart.
Originally posted by English:
Neither.

Keep him as backup and reassess each year to make sure we are starting the best player.

Exactly. Too early to make this decision. IMO, this should be based a lot on Smith's performance throughout the year, including the playoffs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Absolutely nothing unless Alex goes down with an injury.

of course this is the right answer
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Kaep is not ready,Kaep can't do this, Kaep can't do that,Kaep is unproven... Gobble, gobble,gobble... There's only one way to really find out what Kaep is or isn't as a player, that's getting on the field and playing. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I only see one advantage in Alex's favor, a huge one no doubt about that and it is game experience.

how are you going to do this when alex is coming off a game like monday? as alex continues to win just how are you going to get ck is playing time. yes it kind of sucks we are winning games, in first place in our division and have a quarterback coming off a near nfl record.
Originally posted by cciowa:

how are you going to do this when alex is coming off a game like monday? as alex continues to win just how are you going to get ck is playing time. yes it kind of sucks we are winning games, in first place in our division and have a quarterback coming off a near nfl record.

Well, CK could do some more mop up duty, he easily could have played the final 5-7 minutes of last mondays game. We should let him and the second string play more mop up, it's good to get real reps. Dixon, williams and Celek all could have and should have seen some fourth quarter snaps.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Well, CK could do some more mop up duty, he easily could have played the final 5-7 minutes of last mondays game. We should let him and the second string play more mop up, it's good to get real reps. Dixon, williams and Celek all could have and should have seen some fourth quarter snaps.

I was thinking that Ck7 would come in at the 7:27 mark in the 4th when we were up 24-3. Was expecting and content with that, had it happened.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

I was thinking that Ck7 would come in at the 7:27 mark in the 4th when we were up 24-3. Was expecting and content with that, had it happened.
you know how coaches are,,, they are just paranoid something may happen and the other team could come back. something about a fat lady singing. but the more time the first unit plays together, the better they will be so i have little issue with it.i think its pretty obivious they want to make sure they have games in the bank as compared to worrying about getting playing time for ck

I don't recall saying put Kaep in right now, I simply stated there's only one way to see what he can or cannot do. Some of you over react without really reading the posts. No I'm not mad about Alex setting records or winning games that's silly. Just as it is silly for someone to doubt and tear down a player that hasn't had a chance to prove himself on the field. I would never root against my team and hope for them to lose or someone becoming injured, just because I want to see a certain player play. Probably can't say the same for a few "fans" on the zone.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I don't recall saying put Kaep in right now, I simply stated there's only one way to see what he can or cannot do. Some of you over react without really reading the posts. No I'm not mad about Alex setting records or winning games that's silly. Just as it is silly for someone to doubt and tear down a player that hasn't had a chance to prove himself on the field. I would never root against my team and hope for them to lose or someone becoming injured, just because I want to see a certain player play. Probably can't say the same for a few "fans" on the zone.
the bottom line is that ck will not see the light of day in a real game when its in contention unless alex gets hurt so its pretty hard for him to get that playing time. again i think getting ck playing time in real time is low on the list of things to do. it is silly for people to just think and hope ck can do better than alex and use that as a reason why he should be playing more. now that is silly but maybe it just comes from a few "fans" on the zone

the bottom line is that ck will not see the light of day in a real game when its in contention unless alex gets hurt so its pretty hard for him to get that playing time. again i think getting ck playing time in real time is low on the list of things to do. it is silly for people to just think and hope ck can do better than alex and use that as a reason why he should be playing more. now that is silly but maybe it just comes from a few "fans" on the zone

I agree, Kaep playing more is not a high priority at this time. Yes, I do like Kaep I think that's why you are trying to turn my statement (of give him a chance before judging him negatively) into an anti-Alex statement. When my statement is not that at all. It is possible for someone to like another player of the same position, on the same team, and not dislike or "hate" another player. I know that's hard for a few "fans" to take in, it is however possible.
[ Edited by Irish40Niner on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

you know how coaches are,,, they are just paranoid something may happen and the other team could come back. something about a fat lady singing. but the more time the first unit plays together, the better they will be so i have little issue with it.i think its pretty obivious they want to make sure they have games in the bank as compared to worrying about getting playing time for ck

Remember Tampa last season we lost Morgan in a meanness fourth quarter, remember how well he was playing at that moment, imagine how he might have helped in the NFC championship game. Smith's health is more important to this team, and Arizona was getting in some good shots, CK could have taken a few shots, he's young.
Remember Tampa last season we lost Morgan in a meanness fourth quarter, remember how well he was playing at that moment, imagine how he might have helped in the NFC championship game. Smith's health is more important to this team, and Arizona was getting in some good shots, CK could have taken a few shots, he's young.

Me too, that was a good chance to get him some reps as the backup.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
funny how after alex has one good game threads about trading Kap pop up.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
funny how after alex has one good game threads about trading Kap pop up.

Lol. He's had more than one good game this year. I get what you're saying though. Gotta get Kaep out of SF before he becomes a threat....
[ Edited by Irish40Niner on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone