There are 144 users in the forums

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Originally posted by UKNiners:
Respect your opinion and you make good points. However, why not get something now? I'm sure we could get good value. Lets say we can get a third that plays. Better that than potential on the bench. And again, makes up for drafting AJ and James. We are built to win now.

If our 1st and 2nd can't get on the field, what's a 3rd goin to do for us?

Alex is playing good enough to win and he's under contract for a couple more years, but Kaep is being groomed for the future. If we get rid of him, we have nothing behind Alex. You're right though. We are built to win now. Giving up a solid backup QB isn't smart. Losing Alex shouldn't cost us the season and a chance at the Superbowl.

We gave up a lot (essentially a late 1st) for Kaepernick and he's looked good when he's been called upon. There's no need to offload him after a one full season. He hasn't even had a chance to start.
How long do people think we are going to have a dominant O-line, with super RB's and talented WR's?

Smith plays at the level of those around him, which is very good for us right now because we are loaded, but someone like Kaepernick, can make plays when things break down.

Gore, Iupati, A Davis, Hunter, Staley, Boone, Moss, Crabtree. How long are we going to be able to keep all of this talent? In the next few years, we are going to be eaten alive in free agency. The question is whether or not Smith can make plays when things around him aren't perfect. Kaep at least gives us some insurance for down the road, in case the QB position needs to carry our team when things aren't perfect and the talent leaves because of free agency.

Even in this last "perfect" game, Smith demonstrates that he struggles to make plays when things break down. If Kaep has proven anything, it's that he can make things happen when everything collapses around him. Let's not abandon that concept just yet.
CK is looking like a fine prospect, but if he were a sure fire wining QB...he'd be the starter already. He may yet become a stud, so hand him a clip board and let him stand next to coach, we don't need to make a move until he is a free agent, in the mean time, we should be drafting another QB, cause you can never have to many, the Pats took Breeze when they had a proven starter, Bill Walsh traded for Steve Young when he had Joe, so yeah, we could draft another QB this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fister30:
Wow, you guys are suffering from bad quarterback syndrome. Alex is an average serviceable QB at best with a tendency to be really bad. Alex is on track for an average year & posters think he's magnificent. CK has the potential to be a special player. Don't be afraid of good QB play.
you do not have any proof of your ck claim. how can you when you have seen him in only a small body of work. you are allowing your loyality to your hate of alex make you sound foolish, gobble gobble. even steve young says alex will only get better and has not reached his ceiling,,, i think i will rely on his knowledge
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Besides total yards (which has been pretty well documented as not having much relationship with winning games), on what basis are you calling Alex an average QB?

Hitting WRs on time, using all of the field, ability to hit deeper WRs in tight windows, allowing WRs to run after the catch, extending plays in the pocket, better in broken plays, making DC's game plan against him opening room for Gore.
has ck done those things?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc363:
He won't get traded because Alex Smith is terrible. The 49ers are built to sellout games, not go to the Super Bowl. The Ravens are no different. That is all.

sad to say you can not even reason with this type of gobble gobble
Originally posted by cciowa:
Wow, you guys are suffering from bad quarterback syndrome. Alex is an average serviceable QB at best with a tendency to be really bad. Alex is on track for an average year & posters think he's magnificent. CK has the potential to be a special player. Don't be afraid of good QB play.
you do not have any proof of your ck claim. how can you when you have seen him in only a small body of work. you are allowing your loyality to your hate of alex make you sound foolish, gobble gobble. even steve young says alex will only get better and has not reached his ceiling,,, i think i will rely on his knowledge
did you rely on Young's knowledge when he "bashed" as some would say, Alex? or when Bill Walsh did it? or Jerry Rice?

I remember almost everyone here bashing Steve Young, Bill Walsh, and Jerry Rice...and anyone who critizied Alex during those years. It made me sick when they bashed Bill Walsh.

as far as more recently, while sitting right next to Steve Young, Trent Dilfer (one of Alex's biggest supporters for God knows how long) was saying he is still not a total believer in Alex going all the way...because of the sacks he still takes and the delay of games. He said QBs who go all the way do not put their teams in bad situations with those.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM ]
Steve Young was the backup for 4-5 years. Why is everyone pulling out their hair over this.
Remember this thread?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/168392-fill-blank-lose-arizona-cardinals/search=If%20we%20lose%20to

[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:58 PM ]
Like any other backup QB ------ CLIPBOARD

Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Winning a Super Bowl is not 1 players job. It takes a lot more than that. If anyone set the bar high it was Eddie D and the coaches he brought in and the players that the coaches thought could get the job done with. Right now it seems to me they think they can do it with our starting qb. So let's see what happens.

I'm fully aware of that it takes more than a qb to win a sb, everything else is in place to win a championship. It's not up to Alex to outright win a sb, it is his job to put us over the top.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
did you rely on Young's knowledge when he "bashed" as some would say, Alex? or when Bill Walsh did it? or Jerry Rice?

I remember almost everyone here bashing Steve Young, Bill Walsh, and Jerry Rice...and anyone who critizied Alex during those years. It made me sick when they bashed Bill Walsh.

as far as more recently, while sitting right next to Steve Young, Trent Dilfer (one of Alex's biggest supporters for God knows how long) was saying he is still not a total believer in Alex going all the way...because of the sacks he still takes and the delay of games. He said QBs who go all the way do not put their teams in bad situations with those.

Bill Walsh and Steve Young bashed Alex smith?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Winning a Super Bowl is not 1 players job. It takes a lot more than that. If anyone set the bar high it was Eddie D and the coaches he brought in and the players that the coaches thought could get the job done with. Right now it seems to me they think they can do it with our starting qb. So let's see what happens.

I'm fully aware of that it takes more than a qb to win a sb, everything else is in place to win a championship. It's not up to Alex to outright win a sb, it is his job to put us over the top.
whether or not he does or does not win a super bowl will have little bearing on whether he is the starter next year,, it does not work that way in real life in the nfl . since we have no clue what is going to make up the rest of the season or what factors will make up a super bowl game we have not even played in yet,, this talk of alex winning the super bowl or else is very very silly and foolish and very much gobble gobble
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

hey walsh picked donahue as our leader so even god slips and falls in the shower once in a while. young was a non believer in alex at one point in time but he has seen the difference in alex since the start of last year. so have most of the fans in ninerland. gobble gobble
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
why is that every week alex does good there is a thread made talking about trading Kap and when he does bad there is a new thread talking about when Kap will take over. Alex needs to prove himself against a top defense. The cardinals are pretty good but not a top 5 defense...and we did face the seahawks but Alex didnt really shine in that game like he did against cards, bills, jets, and GB

They only slipped out of the top 5 defense because of the 49ers. Even after the disastrous game against the 49ers, the Cardinals defense still ranks 4th in points, and in passing defense, and 6th in overall defense. If they had a weakness it would be in rushing defense, but they did keep the 49ers rushing offense in check by keeping the total below their average (they allowed 113 yards from the 49ers while their until-now average is 119.)
Share 49ersWebzone