There are 277 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I've been a fan for over 50 years so I'm a big fan of Roger Craig and a lot of the older guys. But how can the guy who is the all-time franchise leader in rushing NOT be top 10? Come on.

And, I don't think Craig is in the running for the Hall because of his rushing. I think it's because he was the first back who was extremely productive rushing and receiving at the same time. Wasn't he the first 1000/1000 player? I may be wrong, but I think he was.

He was.
The #10 spot was gone long ago and there is no one who has been around since the 1990's who has earned the right to take it.

Great player does not mean all time great.
Again, doesn't the player who holds a 60-year old franchise's all-time rushing record deserve, by definition, to be considered an all-time player? That just seems logical to me.
Its a tough one with Gore, its a yes and no.
Gore is the greatest f**king RB in niner history whether Craig would've fumbled the ball or not.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM ]
Definitely but he's getting older.

He crapped his pants on the field for fuvks sake.

I don't think I'm old enough to answer this.

Could anyone with more..ahem... experience conduct a top-10 list reaching past the late 80's?

I blame my parents for not having me earlier in the 80's to witness greatness.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
I don't think I'm old enough to answer this.

Could anyone with more..ahem... experience conduct a top-10 list reaching past the late 80's?

I blame my parents for not having me earlier in the 80's to witness greatness.

Scratch that, duh, many of you already posted some.
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
May seem a little far fetched at first, but when you put together a list I think he makes it...

I've been following the Niners since the late 70s and I think Gore is earning his way onto that list. He has been pretty durable, still has burst, had fantastic field vision and a knack for using his blockers, and he's competitive. Also, you can't ignore his numbers, which have to be as strong as any back in Niner history. In short, he's a beast and I think the best overall Niner RB in my time as a fan, though they do have Hall of Fame RBs from earlier era, McElheney and Johnson.
Niner HOF by position:

QB: Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Brodie
RB: Frank Gore, Hugh McElheney, Roger Craig, Garrison Hearst
WR: Jerry Rice, Gene Washington, Dwight Clark
TE: Vernon Davis, Brent Jones, Russ Francis
OL: Bob St. Clair, Randy Cross, Harris Barton, Joe Staley
DL: Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Cedrick Hardman, Bryant Young, Justin Smith, DUI x 2
LB: Dave Wilcox, Keena Turner, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman
DB: Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Deion Sanders (can you count him? Yes you can! SB#5)
K: Consistency: Ray Wershing; Best Season: David Akers
P: Andy Lee; Steve Spurrier (yes, Spurrier was a good 49ers punter!)
Coaches: Walsh, Seifert, Harbaugh

Honorable Mention: Eric Wright, Terrell Owens, Tom Rathman
[ Edited by BSofSF on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM ]

Gotta get past the great Derek Loville first
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Turn it on its head. Why isn't Frank Gore a top ten niner?
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Niner HOF by position:

DL: Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Cedrick Hardman, DUI x 2 MIA
DB: Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Deion Sanders (can you count him?)
Coaches: Walsh, Seifert, Nolan (Sr.), Harbaugh

NO! ARE YOU ON THE PIPE?
Kwalick!
(The real) Eric Wright!
Bryant Young!
Originally posted by OX49er253:
Here's my thought, I would say that yes he is a top 10, 49er of all time. Not just for who he is off the field, his work ethic and his attitude. He has had to deal with a ton of adversity in his career. He came out of college with major knee injury concerns. He was on god awful teams for the majority of his career, he was on teams bereft of talent, bereft of quality coaching, and bereft of any sort of passing attack. He was consistently facing 8-9 men in the box, he was on teams that were getting blown out, and had to throw the ball late a lot. He still put up unbelievable stats. Not to mention to keep yourself hungry, to continue to care when week after week your team is losing, and not only that getting embarrassed. To maintain your focus mentally and emotionally while getting beat up physically, is impressive.

Combine in the era he is playing in. He is playing in an era of the spread offense, of the running backs by committee, where the average shelf life of players at his position is 3 years. He has managed to be a work horse back in a league with few work horses, he has managed to bounce back from injuries, to play later in his career and stay relevant, where few top tier running backs have. He has never had off the field issues, he has never publicly acted like a diva, his attitude, and work ethic can never be questioned.

I think if you take a look at the big picture, take into account the situation he played in for most of his career, the era he played in, the type of person he is, and just the hard stats he has put up. I would say its easy to put him into a top 10, 49er of all time.

Very well said. IMO Frank is a top 10 all time 49er. That's how I felt before reading this thread. Your comments re-enforces my opinion. Thanks......

Hopefully when its all said and done Frank will take his place in HOF. As good as Frank is, Roger Craig is long over due in the HOF!!!!
[ Edited by kemp_j on Oct 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Niner HOF by position:

DL: Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Cedrick Hardman, DUI x 2
DB: Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Deion Sanders (can you count him?)
Coaches: Walsh, Seifert, Nolan (Sr.), Harbaugh

no owens?
Share 49ersWebzone