There are 263 users in the forums

This is NOT a GREAT TEAM in 2012.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by seahawks_umadbro:
Nice job getting smacked around yesterday. Get ready for another beat down this thursday.

I think we can beat the Seahawks. But Russell Wilson is underrated. I know because I'm a Badger fan for college. And your defense is much improved.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Hey SanDiego, remind me the time when we would be eliminated in the wild card after losing to John Skelton and the Arizona Cardinals.

John Skeletor is worst than Alex

But did we lose in the wild card?
Originally posted by sacniner:
This game is not in Seattle. Your team and fanbase folds when you have to leave that irrelevant a55 city

Judging from what happened to your team yesterday at home.......I'm not even worried.
Good post.

There is a lot that went wrong and you seemed to capsulize it well.

IMO, they had an answer for everything we did. On kickoffs they had our number.

I think they coached Eli to get more quick release passes off which negated the pass rush. The other times the double teams on Justin are taking their toll and effecting Aldon' performance.

They had the answer for Kap - almost every time. Their DLine won it in the trenches.

They had the answer in covering our receivers.

We were completely out-coached and it showed.
Judging from what happened to your team yesterday at home.......I'm not even worried.

we played a good team yesterday. luckily, we get you rags on thursday. u mad bro?
Look around the NFL and tell what team is great? A lot of good ones; not a single great one.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post.

There is a lot that went wrong and you seemed to capsulize it well.

IMO, they had an answer for everything we did. On kickoffs they had our number.

I think they coached Eli to get more quick release passes off which negated the pass rush. The other times the double teams on Justin are taking their toll and effecting Aldon' performance.

They had the answer for Kap - almost every time. Their DLine won it in the trenches.

They had the answer in covering our receivers.

We were completely out-coached and it showed.

I agree.
This game is not in Seattle. Your team and fanbase folds when you have to leave that irrelevant a55 city

Since Frank Gore historically leaves cleat marks on the faces of your defensive linemen and linebackers, you must not care much about personal appearances.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) OLB Pass Rushers - Parys Haralson and Darious Fleming injuries - OLB debth is very thin.
2) Special Teams - Not so special this year.
3) QB Situation - Alex is good ahead with a run game and tremendous defense. But to put the game on his shoulders is tough.

Agree with these first three points. They do miss Haralson a lot. And let's be honest - the special teams suck right now in every phase except Andy Lee. They are terrible and it's completely fair to challenge the personnel decisions made in re Costanzo and Colin Jones. I think they're really kicking themselves right now. As for the QB, yes, it's VERY hard to put the game on Smith's shoulders when facing a good defense. Thus far, he hasn't shown the capacity to succeed in that situation and if he expects to win a Super Bowl, he'll have to change that. Fortunately, he gets an opportunity on Thursday against Seattle.

The rest of the points start getting too alarmist to take all that seriously at this point in the season. One thing I'll mention though is this idea, which seems to have pervaded the national media, that the huge wins against the Jets and Bills are somehow invalid because they "suck." First of all, they are both 3-3 and I think their suckitude is vastly overrated, and mostly due to the thorough beatdowns the 49ers placed on them. Secondly, how often does any team beat any other team like what happened in those games? VERY rarely. This is the NFL, this isn't the first month of the college football season. It's astonishing any time a team beats another team like that, especially in consecutive weeks.

That said, people were too high on the 49ers after those games just as they are too low on the 49ers now. This is a team with a great defense and an offense that can be very good. They need to win their division and peak at the end of the season. The loss to the Giants was a bummer, and embarrassing, but it was one game. This upcoming game is more important.
It's the way it happened. I don't think we can even be close against the elites in the playoffs with an elite QB. But maybe we will improve.

Is Aaron Rogers elite?

Dude. Don't argue with Diego. It's hopeless. Love the guy. But he doesn't post after the Niners win big and look especially good in doing so. Nobody will buy his weak tea. Diego only shows up when the Niners drop a game, to proclaim out demise to all who will listen.

He's been doing this for years. Love and respect the man, yes. But don't start sipping what he's serving...

1) OLB Pass Rushers - Parys Haralson and Darious Fleming injuries - OLB debth is very thin. Our pass rushers don't get the same rotation that they did in the past. They are gassed and not as effective. We have a huge problem at OLB pass rusher I think. If we get another injury or somebody goes down we are in big trouble.

2) Special Teams - Not so special this year. We just had to have all that extra RB, WR and DL depth of guys who never play. Plus Brandon Jacobs, Jenkins and LMJ who don't play. And we absolutely had to keep Dixon. Who is buried so deep on the RB depth chart he doesn't contribute. To top it off he is a subpar, slow special teams guy. You can't tell me there wasn't room for Cartwright and Colin Jones both. Now we are paying the price big time. We are sorry we cut them both now. Akers who is normally rock solid has been in a terrible slump this year if you exclude the 63 yarder record. Other than that one I think he is far worse this year. Ginn has been hurt and hasn't had the explosive plays. We were a defense and special teams formula team last year. Our special teams dropoff has been one of the most dramatic I've seen in the NFL in years. From an A to a C- / D+ in one season. That's horrendous. It was partially why we won so many games.

3) QB Situation - Alex is good ahead with a run game and tremendous defense. But to put the game on his shoulders is tough. He has done it a few times. New Orleans in the playoffs, the Eagles last year, several other come from behind wins and a few in his career. But throw and throw and throw doesn't play to his strengths or the teams strengths. Kaepernick is a very raw 2nd year player who is not ready for full time duty. He makes some bad decisions which I think will put us in a bad position if he is the full time starter. It's still a QB driven league. And I just don't see either of them competing with Rodgers, Eli, Matt Ryan in the playoffs. What if we get behind? Alex once in a while has come from behind even in pressure situations like the playoffs. But not everytime. And no way I believe Kaep is ready in a playoff situation like that. Not even regular season.

4) Head Coach / Offensive Coordinator - Maybe they are overthinking this Kaepernick / Tebow Time thing. You just complete a 60 yard pass and you take your starting QB out to go to a QB rotation?.... Come on. You lost all your continuity with that. And got an 11 yard sack and made a FG attempt much harder. It just doesn't make sense. Too much QB rotation, double reverses, trick plays, gimmick plays. Our offense is best when we stick to the fundamentals.

5) Frank Gore - Why do we go away from him in so many games? It's just pass, pass, pass, and more pass. And look at the stat sheet and wonder why we didn't run Gore more? History has shown when we run Gore, control the clock, keep other teams on the bench, it helps our defense and our offense too. Our whole team is more of a powerhouse with that. I can't imagine why we go away fom it? It just doesn't make sense. Goes to coaching too. Maybe too much cute stuff. And not enough of what made us 13 - 3 last year.

6) Kaepernick - Hugely effective early in the year. It seems that the game film has caught up to him now. Teams gameplan for him now. And at least excellent defensive teams like the Giants have figured it out. I expect this effect to continue. He was unknown before. Now he is known. They have a gameplan and a strategy for him. His road will be much tougher now. Plus you could actually argue he messes up our continuity sometimes. Like complete a 60 yard pass, rotate the QB's. take an 11 yard sack and make a FG much tougher.

7) The 79 - 3 illusion - I think the Bills and the Jets are as bad as any teams you can meet. And we played them when they were playing especially bad. I don't read much into that at all. I think those are awful teams and the results may be overblown.

8) Accurate QB's who are moblie or have time to throw pick us apart - Our biggest problems were the Vikings and Giants. One being mobile. The other being one of the most accurate and underrated QB's in football despite winning 2 Super Bowls. I think this goes back to the OLB thinness and problems there. But we have seen we can be picked apart there.

This is just not a 13 - 3 good team. I think we can do pretty well. But the OLB pass rusher problems and huge special teams problems lead me to believe a lot more losses are coming. We can still run Gore a lot and play defense. But the thing is our defense is not quite as good this year IMO. Pass rushers at OLB are very thin. And our special teams which would win so many close games for us has dramatically dropped off. It's a bad special teams. It not only won't win games for us. It will lose them. The coaching is too gimmicky. Too many tricks and too much QB rotation. Pound Gore and play defense would be our best bet. But with our awful special teams and OLB being thin I don't think we are even as good at the basics. I'm not completely convinced we are even as good as 4 - 2. We might be a little worse than that.
I agree with the Pass Rushing...without that, our secondary exposed. Special teams - too many yards yielded, David Akers is missing all over the place. Another problem is when we face sack happy teams like Houston, Baltimore, Seattle, etc, we don't pick the blitzes very well and rarely do we compensate with screen passes (when is last time we set up a screen??)...The verdict is still out on the play calling. They say the OLine is really good who have we really faced that has a menacing defensive line...Seahawks are going to come after Smith all game..
  • Silky
  • Veteran
We will wipe out the seahawks and faith in humanity will be restored
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
We will be alright we will be in the playoffs after that anything can happen.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
It's the way it happened. I don't think we can even be close against the elites in the playoffs with an elite QB. But maybe we will improve.

Is Aaron Rogers elite?

Dude. Don't argue with Diego. It's hopeless. Love the guy. But he doesn't post after the Niners win big and look especially good in doing so. Nobody will buy his weak tea. Diego only shows up when the Niners drop a game, to proclaim out demise to all who will listen.

He's been doing this for years. Love and respect the man, yes. But don't start sipping what he's serving...

You must know this man personally in order to love and respect him. His pessamistic opinions and biased view points are not only very, VERY stale but laughable at times as well. You said it best, he only posts when the Niners stink the joint up. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's a Seacocks or Raider fan. Along with that tinyhandsbigheart character. This is a team that is gonna be a force to reckon with come January. Harbaugh and co. had a rough Sunday no doubt, but we're no slouches.
Special teams suck. OLB is weaker due to lack of depth.

But...

Offense is better. We moved the ball VERY well in the first quarter. A few poorly executed / poorly called plays and we could have started the game with a two possession lead. Would have been a different ballgame. Remember how our offense started off in 2011? They were terrible. Only able to score points after turnovers or excellent returns. This year we can effectively move the ball against anybody.

We are still a very good team. We lost to the best team we face all season. No biggie. Hopefully they can learn to settle down and not make so many mental errors when playing a quality opponent with a good game plan.
Share 49ersWebzone