LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 505 users in the forums

Week 6: Thoughts after watching the game(couldn't bring myself to watch it again yet)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ouch. That one smarts. Forgive the shortness this week as it isn't really something I want to relive too often.

1) Alex Smith Running Tally since Eagles game in 2010. 31 Games, 860 Att, 544 Comp, 6376 Yards, 41 Tds, 12 INTs, 95.76 QB Rating. Easily the worst game he's played in the Harbaugh era. Bad, Bad performance. The Niners were dominating that game in the first quarter and it just seems like the entire game did a 180 when Alex threw that first pick down the sideline. Suddenly the Giants were unstopable in that quarter. Suddently the Niners couldn't do a damn thing. I don't know where I am on this...is this just an abberation for Alex or is this a signal of things to come. I'm leaning toward an abberation, but I have to admit that game made me nervous. Yes, he was pressing....but WOW, 3 picks. That hurt.

2) Kaep: OK, I like the WildKaep, Wolfpack, Pistol or whatever it is but ENOUGH already. The Niners hit a deep bomb to Moss when it was probably already too late but then tried to get cute and Kaep took an 11 yard loss. That killed the drive. Obviously I'm not putting this all on Kaep, but man...that was a killer.

3) Pass D: What the hell is it with Victor Cruz. They can't cover him to save their life.

4) Pass Rush: Absent. What Gives?

5) Rush D: Actually played well until the end of the game. I don't want to say Niners quit, but they were getting gashed late like they NEVER get gashed.

6) Rush O: Actually not too bad before it got out of hand. They were moving it well. Gore was over 4 yards a carry, but only got 8 carries. Hunter had a nice run himself.

7) Red-Zone D: Actually played pretty damn well if you consider how often the O turned it over deep in their own end.

8) Giants: As much as I hate it, you have to give them credit for a good game plan and just getting off the plane angry and ready to play. The Niners got punched in the mouth. This wasn't the Niners "beating themselves". They got beat.

9) NFC West: Enough of the NFC West jokes. 3 teams are 4-2 and I think the Patriots are tired of playing this division. Its gonna be a tough road but the Niners have 6 of the next 10 all within the division. This is where it'll be won.

10) Is it thursday yet? The one saving grace here is that we won't have to sit on this one a full week.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM ]
Yeah.

And DON'T watch it again. We will reserve that for the very naughty.
  • Jiks
I hate the Giants.
Bad loss but not one they can't bounce back form. Hopefully the learn and can fix what needs to be fixed if we meet them in playoffs.
I hate the Seahawks
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I hate the Seahawks

Right now I'm LOVING the Seahawks because they will give me something else to think about in just 3 short days.
Better not take the Seahawks lightly coming off a win over the Pats they're fired up!
good analysis. I look forward to your re-caps more than ANY of the beat writers. Maybe you should sell your writing to the Cohns?
If we play like we did yesterday the Seahawks will be loving us too.

One thing I would like to add the OP: Harbaugh/Roman, you have the franchise's top back on the roster. He is healthy. USE HIM!!! If you're afraid he will get hurt use Hunter, activate Jacobs or James and use them! Bottom line, we are not a passing team so run the ball. Being down one touchdown is no reason to abandon the run so early.

Ok I'm done.
Originally posted by Niner_Fan:
Better not take the Seahawks lightly coming off a win over the Pats they're fired up!

Not taking them lightly one little bit...just saying there is another game against ANYONE to get my mind of this trainwreck.

Guys, I wanted to start a thread on this but I will do it here on MarvTalk....

About 10 minutes after the game I got over it and thought this game was a BLESSING IN DISGUISE.

Look at it this way. If we get the breaks early on, we definitely are in this game and not losing 26-3. We might have been up 7-0, 10-0....at least 6-0. Dominated 1st quarter and then the pick began the self destruction.

Point is, a WIN yesterday may have been worse than the beating we took because then we wouldn't have had our deficiencies exposed so painfully. Minnesota we thought was a fluke.....now most of us aren't so sure. It took the champs to prove it to us.

So bottom line.......if this is something that CAN be fixed this season through HaRoman, Smith, and the wide receivers, I believe it can be done. Practicing the downfield passing game more during the week and attempting it in game each week will be key I think. Why should it wait until the 3rd quarter of game 6 to hit Moss deep? The Manningham bomb probably connects with a lot more frequency in a few more weeks seeing how close the last two were (this game & Jets).

Also the game planning & playcalling has to improve and enough WildKaep until the team is in a comfortable lead at least.

A lot of us Smith supporters are getting concerned that he may not be the guy to win it all. I'm inclined to say at this point that he will probably never be a franchise QB.....but do think there's still time for him to improve this season to the point that teams won't play D the way they do. If teams gave us the cushion they give Packers, Saints, Giants, etc. we'd be hard to stop. As of now they haven't given us a reason not to.

We will have to adapt. There are 10-11 weeks before playoffs to get this right.

Win division and improve passing O and we will probably be ok.

Perhaps the good news is we will get a lot of practice the remainder of the way:

2 x Seattle
2 x Arizona
2 x St Louis
Chicago
Miami

8 games of good defenses, and two games where teams have great scoring potential (Saints & Patriots).

We make post season, we should definitely be ready for war with anybody. If not, next year we maybe move in a different direction.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Ouch. That one smarts. Forgive the shortness this week as it isn't really something I want to relive too often.

1) Alex Smith Running Tally since Eagles game in 2010. 31 Games, 860 Att, 544 Comp, 6376 Yards, 41 Tds, 12 INTs, 95.76 QB Rating. Easily the worst game he's played in the Harbaugh era. Bad, Bad performance. The Niners were dominating that game in the first quarter and it just seems like the entire game did a 180 when Alex threw that first pick down the sideline. Suddenly the Giants were unstopable in that quarter. Suddently the Niners couldn't do a damn thing. I don't know where I am on this...is this just an abberation for Alex or is this a signal of things to come. I'm leaning toward an abberation, but I have to admit that game made me nervous. Yes, he was pressing....but WOW, 3 picks. That hurt.

2) Kaep: OK, I like the WildKaep, Wolfpack, Pistol or whatever it is but ENOUGH already. The Niners hit a deep bomb to Moss when it was probably already too late but then tried to get cute and Kaep took an 11 yard loss. That killed the drive. Obviously I'm not putting this all on Kaep, but man...that was a killer.

3) Pass D: What the hell is it with Victor Cruz. They can't cover him to save their life.

4) Pass Rush: Absent. What Gives?

5) Rush D: Actually played well until the end of the game. I don't want to say Niners quit, but they were getting gashed late like they NEVER get gashed.

6) Rush O: Actually not too bad before it got out of hand. They were moving it well. Gore was over 4 yards a carry, but only got 8 carries. Hunter had a nice run himself.

7) Red-Zone D: Actually played pretty damn well if you consider how often the O turned it over deep in their own end.

8) Giants: As much as I hate it, you have to give them credit for a good game plan and just getting off the plane angry and ready to play. The Niners got punched in the mouth. This wasn't the Niners "beating themselves". They got beat.

9) NFC West: Enough of the NFC West jokes. 3 teams are 4-2 and I think the Patriots are tired of playing this division. Its gonna be a tough road but the Niners have 6 of the next 10 all within the division. This is where it'll be won.

10) Is it thursday yet? The one saving grace here is that we won't have to sit on this one a full week.

1. I'd agree that it was fluke but it does have worried, it was bit eerie the media made a bigger deal about the "WE WANT CARR" game then we did last year and Alex tanked it. Bad juju? Thursday will be huge, I just hope we dont let Seattle fans invade the stadium like this week.

2. It isn't so much or even all on Kaepernick's skill level but on our coaching staff's completely inept usage of him. As you say Alex hits Moss on a momentum injecting play...coaches go oh hey this a perfect time to put in our inexperienced QB in who runs 90% of the time he is in the game so Giants are going to pin their ears back and crush him....Same with the series in the 3rd where AS comes in for one play hits a Williams or Ham? on a great pass and then the coaches say......oh hey Alex is about to get his groove back to start the half on a good note, I got an idea lets put our inexperienced backup QB in the game who runs 90% of the time so the giants will pin their ears back and crush him and kill the drive......Am I sounding like a broken record yet?

3. Victor Cruz is our kryptonite I guess. but our entire secondary was off their game today, not one player had a good game.

4. On pace for our lowest sack total in 30 years? Sounds like we might be Steelers West (with an aging defense) that now cant generate pressure without blitzes and we dont blitz so I guess we should get used to Aldon and Brooks occasionally getting some QB hits. We need a 3rd down pass rusher in their or were doomed?

5. Rush D did play great until the last part of the 3rd quarter but I'd hate to say it we quit, we cant get around it. Not to mention Sopoaga might have proved his worth to us in the second half I saw RJF was in there for the majority if not all snaps and that was when Bradshaw torched us.

6. Rush O was statistically phenomenal but of course we deviated from it just like the Vikes game. I went back and looked at our 6 losses and in every game Gore has 60 yards or less or averages less then 3 YPR. If we dont run the ball or dont make an effort to run we lose, simple as that.

7. Agree for the situations are RZ D did a solid job but of course they couldn't get critical turnovers like Rogers' stone hands re-emerging....

8. Giants flat out, out game planned us, out coached us and outplayed us /discussion

9. NFC West is respectable again yay

10. I Cant wait until Thursday....I'm so ready for this loss to go away I was forgetting we play on Thursday....
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM ]
Falcons will almost certainty grab the #1 seed in the NFC

We need to snag the #2 seed again or we won't reach the NFC title game
Another good thing to come of this are tempered expectations and most likely an underdog role the entire remainder of this season.

Those things were very nice last year, and perhaps we need that.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
yah all of those
Share 49ersWebzone