LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

Week 6: Thoughts after watching the game(couldn't bring myself to watch it again yet)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niner_Fan:
Better not take the Seahawks lightly coming off a win over the Pats they're fired up!

Or they could have a let down coming of a big win.
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
Bad loss but not one they can't bounce back form. Hopefully the learn and can fix what needs to be fixed if we meet them in playoffs.

This.
Originally posted by 9erred:
People are not stating the obvious on offense. The Left Tackle went down (Staley) Boone got shifted to LT and Leonard Davis came in at RG. It was like seeing Chilo out there again. I say cut Leonard Davie and Let Kilgore play.

Also our qb needs to throw wr's open. The giants wr's looked covered and manning got it to them.

That was my fear...1 injury to the always-injured Staley and now you're changing two positions and breaking up serious chemistry. Now Boone has to retrain his mind to play LT and L.Davis is horrendous. The guys is cursed...every time he is in he gives up sacks, pressures, hits or gets false start penalties on 3rd and short and consequently leads directly to an INT on that 3rd and 5.

Time for Kilgore/Looney. The good news is that if Boone can switch gears and lock down the LT spot and Kilgore/Looney excel at RG, we could end up with an epic OL for years to come!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NCommand:
People are not stating the obvious on offense. The Left Tackle went down (Staley) Boone got shifted to LT and Leonard Davis came in at RG. It was like seeing Chilo out there again. I say cut Leonard Davie and Let Kilgore play.

Also our qb needs to throw wr's open. The giants wr's looked covered and manning got it to them.

That was my fear...1 injury to the always-injured Staley and now you're changing two positions and breaking up serious chemistry. Now Boone has to retrain his mind to play LT and L.Davis is horrendous. The guys is cursed...every time he is in he gives up sacks, pressures, hits or gets false start penalties on 3rd and short and consequently leads directly to an INT on that 3rd and 5.

Time for Kilgore/Looney. The good news is that if Boone can switch gears and lock down the LT spot and Kilgore/Looney excel at RG, we could end up with an epic OL for years to come!

MM said Davis played well.
this season is going to be one for the ages

The difference between being ELITE and MEDIOCRE and BAD/AWFUL is SLIM...

Alex Smith is clearly good enough to get us to ring
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Its why a top tier T should honestly be be considered for 1 of our 1st 3 picks. Have to be prepared, I cant believe Harbaugh is okay with disrupting a 2nd postion in the event of an injury to one of our tackles. I'd argue we should package both our 3rd round picks in effort to jump into to get a 2nd #2 pick and draft a Tackle after we take a DT, OLB or WR with our 1st 2 picks.

I am still up in the air on whether I want Boone to be a full time G or T. its hard to argue how effective hes been at G but Looney was a graded a lot higher then a late 3rd round / early 4th when his medical cause him to slide and let us pick him up that late. I'm half wishing I could see an OL next season of Boone - Iupati - Kilgore - Looney - Davis.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

LOL! Seriously...?
Originally posted by sfout:

Its why a top tier T should honestly be be considered for 1 of our 1st 3 picks. Have to be prepared, I cant believe Harbaugh is okay with disrupting a 2nd postion in the event of an injury to one of our tackles. I'd argue we should package both our 3rd round picks in effort to jump into to get a 2nd #2 pick and draft a Tackle after we take a DT, OLB or WR with our 1st 2 picks.

I am still up in the air on whether I want Boone to be a full time G or T. its hard to argue how effective hes been at G but Looney was a graded a lot higher then a late 3rd round / early 4th when his medical cause him to slide and let us pick him up that late. I'm half wishing I could see an OL next season of Boone - Iupati - Kilgore - Looney - Davis.

I'll take it!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

I'll take it!

Wouldn't it be nice, lol. too bad we are nothing but armchair GMs.
Love your reviews every week, Marv.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

LOL! Seriously...?

Q: It seemed like Leonard Davis had a difficult time once Alex Boone went over to LT. Your thoughts? (@justinbior)

I watched every play, and Davis executed his assignment on just about every snap after right guard Alex Boone moved to left tackle following Joe Staley's concussion.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Monday-Morning-Mailbag-Jacobs-is-comfort?blockID=789013&feedID=5936
The giants lost a lot last year. Early on last season they didn't have a pass rush and they couldn't cover. Things change. The niners are even tougher than the Giants in my opinion. This situation and be accounted for and addressed as needed. Can we please use Randy some more? HailZeus we run so well and pack the box and never get anything over the top if it isn't Manningham or Vernon?
Marvin, as I have said before, I think your summaries are superb, and I look forward to reading them. But this week you came up short too. I can't blame you. It was painful. You shoulda mentioned that the special teams, except for T. Brown's blocked kick, were terrible. They opened the second half by giving up a huge KO return. And the idea, mentioned several times in this thread, that we lose because we don't run the ball is mostly backwards. We don't run the ball because we are way behind.

I hope you have lots of great points to make after the Seattle game!
Played like crap on Sunday......Nothing more......It happens......not worried
I rewatched the game and here is what I got:

horrible effort by walker on int, he had position but decided let's just tackle amukamara after he int'd it. didn't really try to break it up, just tackled him.. he kind of jumped late

domnated the 1st 16 minutes of the game, they barely had any yards.. 11:24 to 3:36, 120 to 24 yards offense, only up 3-0

0 sacks given up after 1 quarter, 1 at halftime

The 150 given up on the ground i am not worried about because 100 of it came after we seemed to give up...

held them to 193 passing yards... really didn't do that bad, we gave up a few 20 and 30 yarders though... a lot of throws were good coverage but just great accuracy by manning/great catches

not sure why we keep putting carlos on cruz... i know carlos is the slot guy and cruz goes into the slot at times but I'd just move carlos around and have someone like culliver/brown shadow cruz

williams needs to hit the whole if he stays kr... his best returns are when he does that, he tried to run backwards and out run everybody too any times this game

1st sack, not sure if anyone was open, looking left at crabtree who was well covered, maybe should have got it to gore in flats, by the time he looked at gore he was not looking back and anthony basically had a nice block and let his guy go... alex should have gotten rid of it but our guys once again dont realize they should block to the whistle

delay of game with 2 timeouts left before half before we punted...went from punting at 30 to 25, not smart... good thing it was good coverage... side note on punt coverage too many gunners diving at legs of returner as he catches it instead of breaking down

I think this is an entirely different game if akers hits those 2 fg's.. they weren't easy but he still should have hit them... 10-3 at half instead of 10-9, we did block one of theirs though... kick return at start of 3rd quarter to our 32, also leonard davis false start on 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 6 and then the int...we were down 17-3 but maybe we turn it into 17-10 or 17-6 instead of 20-3

1st int ball sailed on alex, had a hand in swipe in front of him, not sure it hit his arm... in press conference he said he seen mario get held (looked at it, maybe but didnt see it... said he threw it his way to get the flag... alex, never ever ever trust the refs to throw a flag

dropped int by rogers, possible big return, cost us 3... would have been still 17-3

2nd sack, down 20-3 and we are play actioning it which left less time for alex to throw, staley gets beat by osi, boones guy beats him... boone does a stupid thing holding alex up when alex was trying to throw it away but couldnt with boone holding him...

3rd and 4 if he throws it away, instead 3rd and 11 followed by delay of game... 2nd pick, think rolle baited and stepped in front of crabtree, not enough for 1st down anyways... alex forced it, blame delay of game and boone/staley giving up the sack as much as alex for the killed drive... would have been 3rd and 4 instead it's 3rd and 16 and a pick..23-3

again, instead of 3-4 wr spread offense we go 1 wr, 2 te and are running play action/options... dumb

big 55 yarder to moss, could be 23-10 with about a quarter and a few minutes to play... instead...

3rd sack given up... we go with kap, again play action this time to nobody, holds ball too long should have got rid of it, 2nd and 21 and then we put alex back in and f him over...

kap high throw to open moss, 2nd and 10 another stupid f ing option, lead to 3rd and 10, oh, here you go alex... pick it up... he runs for a few yards, we were just stupid today..

one of the sacks was on l davis for sure, one on 4th and 3 the entire pocket collapsed, kap looking to run it first instead of throw... was skipping ahead so missed one of the sacks given up
Share 49ersWebzone