LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Week 6: Thoughts after watching the game(couldn't bring myself to watch it again yet)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I would really like to know what was said in the locker room after that loss. I hope SF forgets the game with the Giants and completely dominates Seattle.

Maybe this was a sick plan by JH all along so when we face the Giants in the playoffs they wont know what to expect because we didnt give them any film to study.
Originally posted by 9inermaniac:
I would really like to know what was said in the locker room after that loss. I hope SF forgets the game with the Giants and completely dominates Seattle.

Maybe this was a sick plan by JH all along so when we face the Giants in the playoffs they wont know what to expect because we didnt give them any film to study.

that was the first thing i thought

but then i remembered last year that we were probably hiding plays..but nothing changed
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Marvin, as I have said before, I think your summaries are superb, and I look forward to reading them. But this week you came up short too. I can't blame you. It was painful. You shoulda mentioned that the special teams, except for T. Brown's blocked kick, were terrible. They opened the second half by giving up a huge KO return. And the idea, mentioned several times in this thread, that we lose because we don't run the ball is mostly backwards. We don't run the ball because we are way behind.

I hope you have lots of great points to make after the Seattle game!

Totally disagree....well not about my own substandard performance, but about the run game.

The 49ers were passing the ball like crazy right out of the gate. In addition, when they got down against Philly last year, they roared back AND NEVER STOPPED RUNNING THE BALL. Alex isn't going to rip up a D when they are expecting Pass. It's not gonna happen. They needed to maintain the run game.

Agreed. I think in the first two drives we passed 14 times and ran it 4 or 5. That would have been fine to throw the Giants off in the beginning, but then we never got to running the ball even though in Gore's first few carries he was carrying tacklers and had about 20 yards with at least 10 coming after first contact.
Aberration for Alex and try not to put it on Kaep for one play.
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM ]
I watched it again on the condensed version of NFL Rewind. Upon second look I'm not sure what to think? Our Defense is still pretty damn stout. Our special teams is horrific compared to last year in all phases except Andy Lee.... Alex was so bad. It looked like his rookie year. The worst I've seen him play in 3 years or more. We really missed Staley when he went out. The blocking got worse. We went away from Gore way too much. Not sure why? Man Kaep at the end of the game has a big league arm. Just a cannon. But he did throw one directly to the DB. Should have been picked. It was dropped. I still think he doesn't see the coverage as well as you would hope for. Ideally I would want 2 entire years for him to learn from the bench and mop up duty and blowouts ahead or behind like this game at the end to get him some reps. I just think his read in coverage are bad enough that he is not ready.

My conclusion is our defense is still super stout. If we ran Gore a lot more and stuck with it this game would be much closer. Our special teams killed us. Uncharacteristic Alex Smith turnovers. Upon reflection I don't know if we are this bad or not. We got to get the ball down the fied more though. People just kill us in that 10 yard box because that's where all the plays are. We need to go deep to Moss more and VD.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I watched it again on the condensed version of NFL Rewind. Upon second look I'm not sure what to think? Our Defense is still pretty damn stout. Our special teams is horrific compared to last year in all phases except Andy Lee.... Alex was so bad. It looked like his rookie year. The worst I've seen him play in 3 years or more. We really missed Staley when he went out. The blocking got worse. We went away from Gore way too much. Not sure why? Man Kaep at the end of the game has a big league arm. Just a cannon. But he did throw one directly to the DB. Should have been picked. It was dropped. I still think he doesn't see the coverage as well as you would hope for. Ideally I would want 2 entire years for him to learn from the bench and mop up duty and blowouts ahead or behind like this game at the end to get him some reps. I just think his read in coverage are bad enough that he is not ready.

My conclusion is our defense is still super stout. If we ran Gore a lot more and stuck with it this game would be much closer. Our special teams killed us. Uncharacteristic Alex Smith turnovers. Upon reflection I don't know if we are this bad or not. We got to get the ball down the fied more though. People just kill us in that 10 yard box because that's where all the plays are. We need to go deep to Moss more and VD.

Question, how deep was kaeps int drop

I haven't seen the replay
  • Jiks

Also could it be said we are still a work in progress? This offense is still in it's building stages. We were playing the pistol, something we have yet to really do, and the new found "wild Kaep" is in it's learning stages as well. To me this game seemed a bit unbalanced offensively. Kind of seemed like we didn't know what we were doing at times, and seemed confused.

We did finally connect with Moss. This has to, I see no reason it can't, get Moss on the field more. Why not? With Kaep. he almost hauls it in, and he gets separation on a double coverage on Sunday. We talk about wanting to go vertical, lets see Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, and VD all out there at the same time more often. 3 wide and run the ball? Why not? I go back to my original topic and maybe we are just starting to figure this stuff out? Again we are still brand new we don't quite know what he have. And that could be said for a lot of positions.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Maybe around 12 - 15 yards. I'm not sure of the exact yardage. But it was a really bad throw into obvious coverage. DB just dropped it. On the other throws Kaep looked accurate and extremely strong armed. More accurate than I would have guessed even. He can throw it 30 - 40 yards on a rope. Not even much loft under the ball. No question Alex can't do that. Kaep has a rocket. And he's 6'5" 230 lbs. and fast. It's easy to see the crazy upside with him. He needs the read the field a little better and make better decisions. But all the skills are there.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Also could it be said we are still a work in progress? This offense is still in it's building stages. We were playing the pistol, something we have yet to really do, and the new found "wild Kaep" is in it's learning stages as well. To me this game seemed a bit unbalanced offensively. Kind of seemed like we didn't know what we were doing at times, and seemed confused.

We did finally connect with Moss. This has to, I see no reason it can't, get Moss on the field more. Why not? With Kaep. he almost hauls it in, and he gets separation on a double coverage on Sunday. We talk about wanting to go vertical, lets see Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, and VD all out there at the same time more often. 3 wide and run the ball? Why not? I go back to my original topic and maybe we are just starting to figure this stuff out? Again we are still brand new we don't quite know what he have. And that could be said for a lot of positions.

I can't believe we don't use Moss. That's the first time we used him all year. Just rediculous. He's capable of those plays.

Maybe around 12 - 15 yards. I'm not sure of the exact yardage. But it was a really bad throw into obvious coverage. DB just dropped it. On the other throws Kaep looked accurate and extremely strong armed. More accurate than I would have guessed even. He can throw it 30 - 40 yards on a rope. Not even much loft under the ball. No question Alex can't do that. Kaep has a rocket. And he's 6'5" 230 lbs. and fast. It's easy to see the crazy upside with him. He needs the read the field a little better and make better decisions. But all the skills are there.

I was hoping you would say the 20-30 yard range then I would give him a pass... But that short range would be a problem if he has trouble with coverage

I was hoping you would say the 20-30 yard range then I would give him a pass... But that short range would be a problem if he has trouble with coverage

I don't believe that pass was that long. For sure shorter. Just a real bad misreading of the coverage.
Hey, this is one of the classic match-ups in the NFL. We took them out on our run to Super Bowls and they did likewise. This is an on going story and this year is far from over.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9inermaniac:

Ya i'm sure Jimmy Harbaugh told Alex before the game to go out there and throw 3 picks and look like sh*t!

First, Alex didn't really look bad until the 2nd half when he threw those painful two INTs. Still, that was enough to hurt us badly, and he wasn't gonna force one more pass. Second, Boone came in at LT for Staley and blocked well. The defense just got rather undisciplined at times in the 2nd half. All of the rest, I agree with.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
First, Alex didn't really look bad until the 2nd half when he threw those painful two INTs. Still, that was enough to hurt us badly, and he wasn't gonna force one more pass. Second, Boone came in at LT for Staley and blocked well. The defense just got rather undisciplined at times in the 2nd half. All of the rest, I agree with.

I think Alex pressed but Giants also did a good job. Again, I don't think he throws all 3 ints and things go much differently if a few plays went different. The field goals, the L.Davis false start, the play calling and constant switching of the qbs. Honestly, I really wonder how the game would have turned out if we didn't outsmart ourselves and played it like we normally do. Not saying we won because the Giants are a great team and they seem to bring their A game against us unlike when they play some of the bad teams. I think it would have been within 7 points.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone