LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
I thought Dilfer made a good point when he said the 49ers are just now beginning to learn how to use Crabtree. MC finally played tonight the way he played in college. He was attacking the ball and holding it. Let's hope this was his breakout game. He certainly made some great moves for YAC.

Agreed. That first TD was the type of throw and catch, timing that Alex has with VD. Both made a great play and that was with great coverage...for a TD.

The way the WR's attacked the ball today with the 19 passes thrown their way, they made the most of their opportunities and capitalized with RAC and TD's. Job well done. Now do this consistently and watch what happens...
If our receivers play most weeks like they did last night, this thread would have never existed. Great job, boys!

( not that we really got a chance to see any deep passes where receivers stretch out.. )
Originally posted by NCommand:
I thought Dilfer made a good point when he said the 49ers are just now beginning to learn how to use Crabtree. MC finally played tonight the way he played in college. He was attacking the ball and holding it. Let's hope this was his breakout game. He certainly made some great moves for YAC.

Agreed. That first TD was the type of throw and catch, timing that Alex has with VD. Both made a great play and that was with great coverage...for a TD.

The way the WR's attacked the ball today with the 19 passes thrown their way, they made the most of their opportunities and capitalized with RAC and TD's. Job well done. Now do this consistently and watch what happens...

I didn't see any WRs attack the ball ?

I seen a QB deliver a ball though, also as much timing AS and VD have...i never seen AS throw a pass like that to VD (Crabtrees TD)

Great comment by Dilfer! MC was juking and making people miss as he did in college.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Great comment by Dilfer! MC was juking and making people miss as he did in college.

I think Crabtree really improved his plant and burst acceleration. I was impressed that he separated/RAC'd so quickly after those slants/etc.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I didn't see any WRs attack the ball ?

I seen a QB deliver a ball though, also as much timing AS and VD have...i never seen AS throw a pass like that to VD (Crabtrees TD)

LOL. Really? You didn't see Crabtree jump up and attack the ball at the highest point over the DB? I also saw a better job of the receivers (esp. Manningham) use their bodies to shield defenders out. And VD? Wasn't his first TD thrown into a tight, low window with two/three defenders drapped all over him? NFCCG? Seam route TD's between two defenders, etc. Granted, those are great throws as well but he's making those catches in tight windows knowing he might get clocked doing it.

I think the word "attacking" is getting a little too far into semantics. I think what most people just wanted to see is a receiver show some passion and want it more than the defender...fight for it; make some plays when it IS thrown their way (with the minimal chances they are going to get per our offensive game plans). Period. And as a result, make those catches on imperfect throws that other receivers seem to make against us on a regular basis (esp. TE's). Make a move. Get some RAC. Use your body to shield out. Stop jumping up to make "basket catches." Turn into a defender when needed. Time your jumping better. Stop dropping the damn ball (entire receiving group).

I think you get the idea...hope they continue to do this (although that was the worst secondary I've seen in a long time last night) on a regular basis and Alex grows his confidence in them and he ALSO continues to pull the trigger. I saw a few times last night he should have pulled the trigger and reverted to panic-Alex and took sacks. He admitted that after the game.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
It was nice to Alex give Crabs a good ball to have shot at catching. Hopefully he keeps doing that.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
It was nice to Alex give Crabs a good ball to have shot at catching. Hopefully he keeps doing that.

That was probably the only pass that needed to be fought for. Crabtree did an awesome job using his hands to fight off Peterson and attack the ball at its highest point.

What I saw out of our receivers was even better. Which was exploding off the line and working hard to get open. Also once the ball was in their hands, YAC YAC and more YAC thanks to some excellent blocking from this same group. Keep it up, go 9ers!
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

That was probably the only pass that needed to be fought for. Crabtree did an awesome job using his hands to fight off Peterson and attack the ball at its highest point.

What I saw out of our receivers was even better. Which was exploding off the line and working hard to get open. Also once the ball was in their hands, YAC YAC and more YAC thanks to some excellent blocking from this same group. Keep it up, go 9ers!

Agreed...and on the first drive, at the 14:15 mark, on the slant to Manningham, I loved how he went down and shielded the ball from the defender/Gay (who was trying for an INT) AND he also made the catch. It was a P.I. but that's a moot point; if anything it highlights his efforts even more.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

Agreed...and on the first drive, at the 14:15 mark, on the slant to Manningham, I loved how he went down and shielded the ball from the defender/Gay (who was trying for an INT) AND he also made the catch. It was a P.I. but that's a moot point; if anything it highlights his efforts even more.

I'm just happy that Alex threw a ball I have never seen him throw. That TD to Crabtree will keep me quiet for a week. Bout time Alex drops his balls.

Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm just happy that Alex threw a ball I have never seen him throw. That TD to Crabtree will keep me quiet for a week. Bout time Alex drops his balls.
this
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
this

LMAO! We love you guys...

Clearly, that was the play-call b/c Alex threw it instantly to that spot and Crabtree got there and turned instantly for it; went up at the peak and got it and then fought for it all the way to the ground. The picture thread shows a nice series of this catch. Great call, great throw and great execution. Love it.

Perhaps this is why he was targeted the most by Roman/Alex (5 times). Not much but it is for our offense. Gotta make the most of these chances and all the receivers did last night.
Shoot! Original posted this in the wrong thread.

Someone answer this question.How sorry have our receivers and the passing game altogether been whenever a top Defense covers us man? Our receivers were never good enough to get separation, even this season (NYG) and our passing game always suffered. This was the exact game plan CHI came in with.Yes there were some nice designs but the Bears had tight coverage on most of the throws.

These same tight coverages that have been notched into the "WR's can't separate" column when our passing game suffered because Alex didn't throw it to the WR's.

Now comes the topic of Trust. Why can Kaep trust his receivers so quickly but it takes Smith a few years and a few amazing plays by that WR to do so? I think we know by now that it isn't the QB's trust in the WR's that allows the QB to let that ball go. It's the QB's trust in his abilities that lets that ball go.

Someone answer this question.How sorry have our receivers and the passing game altogether been whenever a top Defense covers us man? Our receivers were never good enough to get separation, even this season (NYG) and our passing game always suffered. This was the exact game plan CHI came in with.Yes there were some nice designs but the Bears had tight coverage on most of the throws.

These same tight coverages that have been notched into the "WR's can't separate" column when our passing game suffered because Alex didn't throw it to the WR's.

Now comes the topic of Trust. Why can Kaep trust his receivers so quickly but it takes Smith a few years and a few amazing plays by that WR to do so? I think we know by now that it isn't the QB's trust in the WR's that allows the QB to let that ball go. It's the QB's trust in his abilities that lets that ball go.

You can put it on the boooooaardd....yessss!!!!!

Not at all sure why this was bumped or what point you think you are making, joe. The receivers have been playing well lately.. and obviously not just with one QB over another. The receivers are still not making circus catches, but they haven't really needed to our had many chances to... because passes have been thrown to them well as they get open.

I think we are all pleased about the play of our receivers as of the last few weeks. Guys getting open and making catches... the drops are down considerably from earlier games.. etc.

So... what's up?
Share 49ersWebzone