Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 441 users in the forums

Indispensable

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I disagree with this, because we aren't a passing team, so if lost we would be fine with Kaep or JJ. We run mostly and play killer defense. And Alex has never been a passer. He doesn't throw for 300+ yards, and throw 25+ TDs a year. He is a 14 TD guy, face it, Alex, Kaep, JJ or anyone else we would be fine with.


You've said this before, and I still disagree, but I respect your knowledge and posts. We have no way of knowing how Kaep or JJ would react when the game is on the line and they have one pass to win it...we do know that Smith won a number of games in that situation last year. The NO game was the last, but certainly not the only, Smith-decided game. I think you under value this ability to be calm under pressure. I also believe you misinterpret Smith's high efficiency/low yardage stats.

But we will see this next year and I'm hoping you are completely wrong!! Please make it so!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM ]
And if we were a "run the ball and play killer defense" team I doubt we would have spent so much time and energy on the WR position. I mean, why did we do that? Strictly a diversion?

Cmon.

Kap is an unknown. JJ is virtually an unknown.

I do not understand how you guys think we would be "fine". You would be scared s**tless like everyone else whether you want to admit it or not.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Jun 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM ]
You have to say Alex is the most indispensable. Not because he's the best player on the team, he's nowhere close, but rather because a functional QB is so important for everything to run cohesively.

Can Kaep or JJ match or surpass his performance? Possibly. We won't know until they hit the field and prove it. Until then, they are unknown commodities and its a shot in the dark to assume their will be no drop off.

Other indispensables are Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
And if we were a "run the ball and play killer defense" team I doubt we would have spent so much time and energy on the WR position. I mean, why did we do that? Strictly a diversion?

Cmon.

Kap is an unknown. JJ is virtually an unknown.

I do not understand how you guys think we would be "fine". You would be scared s**tless like everyone else whether you want to admit it or not.

I'm scared s**tless whenever I see Alex drop back to throw the ball.

We went and got WRs because we needed a new dimension, but doesn't mean Alex will perform at the level everyone either expects or hopes he will. He had 1 Good season, in an offense that wasn't a pass first offense, and killer defense. Had we not had a great defense, we wouldn't of gone 13-3 in reg season and 2nd seed in NFC. We would of went 6-10 at best, and possibly looking at a QB in draft had it went that way.

Alex was basically out of chances, he wouldn't of been back if we had a bad season, and even after a good season, no one offered him anything. He won't be more than an average QB. We are better off getting a QB of the Future in the draft somehow.
JT Osullivan. Followed by Alex Smith.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I'm scared s**tless whenever I see Alex drop back to throw the ball.

We went and got WRs because we needed a new dimension, but doesn't mean Alex will perform at the level everyone either expects or hopes he will. He had 1 Good season, in an offense that wasn't a pass first offense, and killer defense. Had we not had a great defense, we wouldn't of gone 13-3 in reg season and 2nd seed in NFC. We would of went 6-10 at best, and possibly looking at a QB in draft had it went that way.

Alex was basically out of chances, he wouldn't of been back if we had a bad season, and even after a good season, no one offered him anything. He won't be more than an average QB. We are better off getting a QB of the Future in the draft somehow.

I don't see any reason why he won't improve this year. He has more weapons, continuity, blah, blah. One year with Harbaugh he improved leaps and bounds over previous years. Defense aside, he improved. If you are saying he has reached his ceiling, fine, that's your opinion. I don't share it.

The question here is he indispensable. I believe as far as the short term is concerned, he is. And the short term could very well make or break a season.

And if you are scared everytime he throws the ball, then you are living in the past, dude. I mean the guy threw 5 picks last year. FIVE. What exactly are you scared of? A checkdown? Gimme a break.

We had a balanced offense last year. So if we aren't a pass first offense, then what are we? You can't really say we are a run first offense either, can you?
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Jun 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Alex Smith.

Hater or not, if he went down, so would our chances. Anyone who says Kap could come in with no substantial dropoff is completely fooling themselves.

totally agree

I disagree with this, because we aren't a passing team, so if lost we would be fine with Kaep or JJ. We run mostly and play killer defense. And Alex has never been a passer. He doesn't throw for 300+ yards, and throw 25+ TDs a year. He is a 14 TD guy, face it, Alex, Kaep, JJ or anyone else we would be fine with.

AB, I generally like your posts and respect your knowledge of the game, but I gotta say if you think we would have won 14 games last year with Colin or Tolzien you are mistaken. Smith is by leaps and bounds a better QB than either one of those guys.When the run games wasn't working last year it was Smith that carried the offense and when the defense struggled last year in a couple of games, it was Smith that made clutch plays to put those games away.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I'm scared s**tless whenever I see Alex drop back to throw the ball.

We went and got WRs because we needed a new dimension, but doesn't mean Alex will perform at the level everyone either expects or hopes he will. He had 1 Good season, in an offense that wasn't a pass first offense, and killer defense. Had we not had a great defense, we wouldn't of gone 13-3 in reg season and 2nd seed in NFC. We would of went 6-10 at best, and possibly looking at a QB in draft had it went that way.

Alex was basically out of chances, he wouldn't of been back if we had a bad season, and even after a good season, no one offered him anything. He won't be more than an average QB. We are better off getting a QB of the Future in the draft somehow.

I don't see any reason why he won't improve this year. He has more weapons, continuity, blah, blah. One year with Harbaugh he improved leaps and bounds over previous years. Defense aside, he improved. If you are saying he has reached his ceiling, fine, that's your opinion. I don't share it.

The question here is he indispensable. I believe as far as the short term is concerned, he is. And the short term could very well make or break a season.

And if you are scared everytime he throws the ball, then you are living in the past, dude. I mean the guy threw 5 picks last year. FIVE. What exactly are you scared of? A checkdown? Gimme a break.

We had a balanced offense last year. So if we aren't a pass first offense, then what are we? You can't really say we are a run first offense either, can you?

He wasn't given the green light to throw deep on every down. He played safe, there's nothing wrong with it. But I rather have a open offense, and I have fears Alex will revert to pre-2011 Alex. No guarantee he will, but also no guarantee he will improve.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
AB, I generally like your posts and respect your knowledge of the game, but I gotta say if you think we would have won 14 games last year with Colin or Tolzien you are mistaken. Smith is by leaps and bounds a better QB than either one of those guys.When the run games wasn't working last year it was Smith that carried the offense and when the defense struggled last year in a couple of games, it was Smith that made clutch plays to put those games away.

I don't think Alex was a main reason for a 14 win season. He wasn't given the go to open it up. I am a Alex supporter, but I don't have much faith on him being a QB of the Franchise.
AB

If you want an open offense, then you want a different HC. There is nothing in Harbaugh's resume that suggests he will turn this offense into the Packers, Lions, Patriots or Saints style offenses.

Balanced attack. That's what he wants, that's what we're going to get. Smith fits that style.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
AB

If you want an open offense, then you want a different HC. There is nothing in Harbaugh's resume that suggests he will turn this offense into the Packers, Lions, Patriots or Saints style offenses.

Balanced attack. That's what he wants, that's what we're going to get. Smith fits that style.

I understand, but people who think all of a sudden Alex will throw for 300+ yards a game are fooling themselves. I feel we would be fine with anyone at QB with our defense and run game, plus a great OL play we have. If this was a GB, NO, NE, DET, etc... offense than yeah we would be SOL, even with Alex at QB, he isn't a 300+ yard guy.

I get scared when he throws deep. He isn't always accurate, he overthrows quite a bit.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
AB

If you want an open offense, then you want a different HC. There is nothing in Harbaugh's resume that suggests he will turn this offense into the Packers, Lions, Patriots or Saints style offenses.

Balanced attack. That's what he wants, that's what we're going to get. Smith fits that style.

I understand, but people who think all of a sudden Alex will throw for 300+ yards a game are fooling themselves. I feel we would be fine with anyone at QB with our defense and run game, plus a great OL play we have. If this was a GB, NO, NE, DET, etc... offense than yeah we would be SOL, even with Alex at QB, he isn't a 300+ yard guy.

I get scared when he throws deep. He isn't always accurate, he overthrows quite a bit.

Once again, he improved in that area last year. I also believe he will have a few 300 yard games this year. Truth is, we don't need him to throw for 300 yards to win games. QB's who consistently throw for that many yards typically don't have the running game we have.

We were probably the most balanced team in the league last year. Why mess with success?

In todays NFL, the running game is slowly getting phased out. Teams are drafting smaller, quicker secondaries to combat the increase in passing. Harbaugh and Baalke are saying ok, go ahead and draft smaller defenses. Then we will run it up your ass. And when you stack the box, we'll throw it over you. Alex Smith can more than adequately carry out this function.

You have nothing to fear.
You can have a QB who throws for 200 yards with two TDs and no interceptions, or a QB who throws for 200 yards with no TDs and three interceptions. That makes a huge difference. Efficiency was Smith's strong point in college and now under Harbaugh. We have no idea of how the other QBs would do under similar circumstances.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone