There are 225 users in the forums

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

• KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by STRFKR_805:
Originally posted by D-Money:
hahah people are retarded, actually voting for Alex Smith, damn man straight stupid.

r u serious? have you ever watched a full fourty niner game???? if you did; WTF r u seeing.???
SMITH is going to be the niners QB for the comming years until he retires. WR were always the issue i said it before 2011 and in 2010.... Crabtree isn't the full answer... the niners have no WR's..

THe only reason the niners are pushing for Manning is so that Smith can sign a cheaper contract with the niners out of fear of being replaced because Smith's AGENT is PEyton Mannings agent.

Also the niners are bluffing topush the price for manning up so that the CARDINALS don't get manning.

Simple Political Economics.. brah.

I mean yea manning would be excelent for business ... ESPN and NBC and NIKE Yahoo GOOGLE would be all on the fourty niners with endorsments for manning...and manning would sell tickets ..because at the end of the day football is a business.
I mean it would be - Peyton Manning ran Jim H. out of town.... then Jim H.'s Disciple LUCK would overthrow Manning ... NOW Manning aligns with Jim H. to get back at JIm H's evil disciple.

but it can't happen... Manning simply cost too much.. is old... injury prone...not a WEST COAST GUY....
Smith is a superb Balanced QB(like chad pennington) that would make Arizona,San Diego,Tennesee,MIA a better team...

You re ridiculous.

1. Manning has already said that Miami and Arizona are out of the race.

2. It was apparently Manning that inquired about the Niners not the other way around.

3. I love how the guy gets hurt once in his entire career and all of a sudden he's injury prone. Rich Gannon said he had the exact same injury and he choose to retire. But his neck was safer to play football after the surgery then before it. Manning has been playing with his neck hurt for couple of years now.

4. CK was drafted to be the QB of the future anyway at worst he becomes it. At best Manning plays for another 3 to four years.

5. There's a reason the colts were going to pay and Broncos, Cards and Titans will pay 30 mil for him. He's worth it.

6. The leverage idea could be more devised by Condon than the Niners. What if Alex takes it as personal insult after having Jim singing his praises all off season and goes and signs somewhere else. And then we miss out on manning as well. Now that's a gamble I can't see the Niners taking.
[ Edited by KID9R on Mar 16, 2012 at 3:29 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erJim:
You are Crazy!!

No, the drought just took a toll on him. Instead of facing another drought, lets just commit to mediocrity. It's safe, just like Alex Smith
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Whatever Harbaugh wants.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I take Peyton, it has been said he has his arm strength back and can make all the throws.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
If Peyton is healthy of course you take Peyton. Waits for the "Alex Haters" to come and bash the "Alex Lovers"

So much for "1, maybe 2."
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Furlow:
I voted for Alex because I'm smart enough to look at the big picture. Of course if all else was equal, you take Manning in a heartbeat. But all else is NOT equal, not even close. Manning is much older, on the downside of his career, and is coming off of multiple neck surgeries. I don't care what any doctor says, that is serious. This is football fellas, injuries happen. And when you're coming off one surgery, let alone four, your chances are multiplied.

Let's not forget the small fact that Manning will cost probably triple what Alex Smith will cost. That means we'll have to cut certain players and fill those spots with inferior players. You think we'll be able to extend Bowman? Aldon Smith? Crabtree? No, we won't. This would give us at best a two year window to win Super Bowls, that's it. A back-loaded contract (which is all we could offer) would hamper us so badly in the 3rd-5th years that our team would be decimated at that point. Manning retires, and we're starting from scratch again. Call me crazy, but after 10 years of being a joke of a franchise, I'm not ready to go back to that again just for a chance at 1 or 2 Super Bowls.

it's a shame what happened to this fan base.

Translation. You would rather win 9 games a year, a playoff win every 3 years as opposed to being a contender for 3 years.

Sad its come to this.

9 wins? We won 14 games last year and were one knee away from the Super Bowl. So let's take that formula, blow it up, and replace it with putting a huge emphasis on one player who is old and injured.

All I'm saying is we have awesome momentum with what Baalke and Harbaugh have built so far. Smart, sensible contracts that emphasize a team concept. Why not just keep riding that wave and see where it goes?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
You are Crazy!!

No, the drought just took a toll on him. Instead of facing another drought, lets just commit to mediocrity. It's safe, just like Alex Smith

Right. Because 14-4 and an NFC championship appearance is mediocre! I'm just a realist. I understand that this isn't 1990, there is something call a SALARY CAP that some of you seem to have forgotten about.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
I voted for Alex because I'm smart enough to look at the big picture. Of course if all else was equal, you take Manning in a heartbeat. But all else is NOT equal, not even close. Manning is much older, on the downside of his career, and is coming off of multiple neck surgeries. I don't care what any doctor says, that is serious. This is football fellas, injuries happen. And when you're coming off one surgery, let alone four, your chances are multiplied.

Let's not forget the small fact that Manning will cost probably triple what Alex Smith will cost. That means we'll have to cut certain players and fill those spots with inferior players. You think we'll be able to extend Bowman? Aldon Smith? Crabtree? No, we won't. This would give us at best a two year window to win Super Bowls, that's it. A back-loaded contract (which is all we could offer) would hamper us so badly in the 3rd-5th years that our team would be decimated at that point. Manning retires, and we're starting from scratch again. Call me crazy, but after 10 years of being a joke of a franchise, I'm not ready to go back to that again just for a chance at 1 or 2 Super Bowls.

Translation. You would rather win 9 games a year, a playoff win every 3 years as opposed to being a contender for 3 years.

Sad its come to this.

9 wins? We won 14 games last year and were one knee away from the Super Bowl. So let's take that formula, blow it up, and replace it with putting a huge emphasis on one player who is old and injured.

All I'm saying is we have awesome momentum with what Baalke and Harbaugh have built so far. Smart, sensible contracts that emphasize a team concept. Why not just keep riding that wave and see where it goes?

So you're saying have trust in Jim and Baalke except when it comes to getting possibly the best QB to ever play the game?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:

Sad its come to this.

So you're saying have trust in Jim and Baalke except when it comes to getting possibly the best QB to ever play the game?

If they can get him to sign a sensible contract (2-3 years at $12 mil to $15 mil per) then hell yes, let's get him. I just think that there's no way he'll do that. He'll want guaranteed, back loaded money, which will severely deplete our roster in those later years.

• mod
  • Veteran

Sad its come to this.

I'd rather have a shot at a superbowl for 10 years than have a shot for 3 years and then be in the dumps.

Sad its come to this.

I just don't see Alex Smith having another season like he had in 2011. This season is going to be harder on him. That being said our defense is good enough to take us to the playoffs, once we get there is Alex Smith going to be good enough to get us into the super bowl? Not so sure about that, Manning on the other hand could be GREAT with the 49ers for 3 or 4 years with the defense we have and another WR and a few better O-Line Men.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
I don't believe the Harbaugh and Balke are very serious about signing Manning for these reasons. I think they jumped in to the mix because it would add another team and take up more time for Manning to make a decision. The Cardinals did not have time because of the decision that needed to be made on Kolb. Balke also signs guys on their way up in their career's not on the back side of their careers. Harbaugh has been sold on Smith since day one. Why would that change all of a sudden. Look at the salary cap hit we would take to with Manning vs Smith. Denver has alot more caps space than the 49ers.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I just don't see Alex Smith having another season like he had in 2011. This season is going to be harder on him. That being said our defense is good enough to take us to the playoffs, once we get there is Alex Smith going to be good enough to get us into the super bowl? Not so sure about that, Manning on the other hand could be GREAT with the 49ers for 3 or 4 years with the defense we have and another WR and a few better O-Line Men.

lol, and what makes you think we'll accomplish that when Manning is asking for 25 million a year?
Originally posted by KID9R:
So you're saying have trust in Jim and Baalke except when it comes to getting possibly the best QB to ever play the game?*

*Should come with an asterisk. The Colts didn't want anything to do with him after 4 neck surgery. When they could have kept him to bring along luck. He's looking for a payday before he retires.
Share 49ersWebzone