LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Alex Finishes In Last Place

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Winners of what???

Considering that the season is not over... in precisely what has Alex finished last?

How about a little courtesy for those among us who cannot read minds? Please provide better titles for your posts.
It is in be post they won and are league leaders in INTs. Confradations to them.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Fitness49:
I appreciate your input, Shaj. Having been from corporate America, I understand your inference. I am new on the site here, and am shocked at the confrontational behavior/responses. Is this the norm here?

There's friendly confrontation and mostly healthy tension. I don't think anybody here really despises anyone else. We are fans and we hold our emotions deeply. I do believe that the fact that we are fans biases many of the perspectives, but I have my own biases as well. By the way, there's a lot of pretty smart people on this board. Doctors, dentists, lawyers, CPAs, and just plain bright folks. This place to me is like the sitcom "Cheers". We all know each other and our personalities. Moving to a different example, I'm kind of like Nixon on this board... people don't necessarily think I'm dumb, but they love to kick me around.

Only because we care
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:
I actually think that "some of us fans" really want something else. Actually, by this time, it is patently obvious.

What you want... and what you need may be two different things. I understand WANTING more from the passing game, but I am not 100% certain that more passing is better. Smith has been pretty good when he needs to be... when he's had to throw for the most part he's been successful. I think more passing will have a negative effect on the team... defense and ST will be impacted, TOP and Field position will be impacted negatively. Yes there will be the occasional big play etc, but there will be more short fields for the defense, more punts from deep in our own territory and less FG oportunities. In addition to that the OL will be required to pass block more, and I am really liking the one - two punch of Gore and Hunter.

Its hard to argue for BETTER passing... Smith QBR is among the best in the league and someone mentioned earlier that he is in the top 10 in yards per pass.

One last thought on this... which team is better suited for a January game in Lambeau field... The pass happy, poor defense Pack or the ground control defensive beast 9ers? A cold bad weather day for the Packers is not good... but the 9ers are suited perfect for that situation!
Originally posted by Pick6:

One last thought on this... which team is better suited for a January game in Lambeau field... The pass happy, poor defense Pack or the ground control defensive beast 9ers? A cold bad weather day for the Packers is not good... but the 9ers are suited perfect for that situation!

Are you really saying that the Niners are better suited for an away playoff game at Lambeau than the Packers are suited for a home playoff game at Lambeau?

Not sure if serious.
Derp.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Shaj:
There is a business corollary here, it's called "the cost of quality". I worked with Fortune 50 company that decide to increase their defects per million because the cost of quality was too high to achieve that level, and they could get more overall return with a defect rate that was still very good, but not as rigorous as before. If Alex could get twice as many touchdowns with twice as many INT's, that would be a great tradeoff that I would likely take. The cost of getting only 5 INT's is a pedestrian offense that requires a devastating ST and D to stay in games.

oh no a "i'm a businessman" post

bottom lines count most in the NFL.

and the bottom line is that the 49ers are 12-3, so......

fixed.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Pick6:

Are you really saying that the Niners are better suited for an away playoff game at Lambeau than the Packers are suited for a home playoff game at Lambeau?

Not sure if serious.

No.. not in those general terms. In a vacuum Lambeau field will benefit the Packers... but Wisconsin in January is hardly a vacuum. What I'm saying is if the weather is cold and crappy the 49ers Off and Def is much better suited for that type of game than the Packers. The Packers running game is 27th in the NFL and their rush def is awful giving up 4.7 yards per carry. Its also affects the crowd. IF we get to the NFC Championship game against the Packers, I am hoping for a freaking blizzard.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
lol at a thread about having the fewest INTs in the league and a few people using that as ammo for how he sucks.

"he doesn't throw his receivers open, that's why he doesn't throw INTs." Are you f**king kidding me.

Is this what's happening.... Some of these posts are just too ridiculous to get past the first few sentences. The dude has 5 INTs all year. Took care of the ball and not put our defense in bad situation. Elite freak'n numbers in ball security, reading defense, making good decisions and knowing where to go with the ball. This number certainly reflect and confirmed that . And they are knocking him for that.

Holy sh*t! The Zone. This goes beyond any football sensibility.
Originally posted by gamechanger:
Originally posted by susweel:
I appreciate your input, Shaj. Having been from corporate America, I understand your inference. I am new on the site here, and am shocked at the confrontational behavior/responses. Is this the norm here?

Yes this is the norm if you say anything about wanting improved play from our QB position (Alex Smith). Its wrong for some us fans to want better then a 29th ranked passing attack that averages 1 td pass a game. All we get is ridicule and insults for this.

It's also the norm to think that one guy is the problem our passing game isn't doing so well for some posters. They don't seem to understand that while they keep comparing our qb to the great ones they can't do the same with the guys catching the ball from our qb.

It's also the norm for people who want a better passing offense to think that running the WCO in your first year is a walk in the park.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Yes this is the norm if you say anything about wanting improved play from our QB position (Alex Smith). Its wrong for some us fans to want better then a 29th ranked passing attack that averages 1 td pass a game. All we get is ridicule and insults for this.

That's because the basis of your argument is rooted in the devaluing of Alex Smith. Smith has proven many to be dead wrong, and yet you cling to cherry picked statistics.

The team is 29th in passing because they're 31st in passing attempts. When you look at yards per attempt, the 49ers are a respectable 16th in the NFL. The team ranks 10th in passer rating.

If improved play from the Quarterback is based off scalable statistics like yards and touchdowns, you're mad at the wrong guy.

Qft

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by redrathman:

That's because the basis of your argument is rooted in the devaluing of Alex Smith. Smith has proven many to be dead wrong, and yet you cling to cherry picked statistics.

The team is 29th in passing because they're 31st in passing attempts. When you look at yards per attempt, the 49ers are a respectable 16th in the NFL. The team ranks 10th in passer rating.

If improved play from the Quarterback is based off scalable statistics like yards and touchdowns, you're mad at the wrong guy.

Qft

This.

Can't throw TDs when the call in the headset is a hb blast.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
wait. Im confused. This does not contain all qbs. What the hell is this list?

Lol, top 15 then skips to Alex bro

I'm still confused. Why make a big deal over interceptions thrown? Shouldn't we be looking at interceptions to attempt ratio?

Got you covered - Alex is tied for 1st with Rodgers

http://nationalpost.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2011&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=038
Alex is also on pace to set the record for the least amount of passing yards by a quarterback who started all 16 games in the regular season.
Merging with smith thread.
Actually I will leave it but it has to be about the pics, or it's just another smith thread and it will be merged
Share 49ersWebzone