LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
San Diego, are you bipolar?
Originally posted by horsecore:
If they feel his is an important cog in the plan of the team and want him around, I think he'll be locked up. I think he NE rejection humbled him a bit - it'd be nice to have him resigned before the FA period begins.

Time will tell...

I'd like to see the Niners play on this. It must of had a huge psychological impact thinking you would see a huge pay day and then getting no love in FA. If we dangle a nice enough carrot in front of him before the end of the season, he just might sign it.

However, any time a player makes it clear that he is looking for a huge pay day, I think you have to worry about performance drop off after he gets it. Guys like Davis and Willis never talked in those terms, only that they want to be GOATs at their position.

P.S I guess an argument could be made that as a 4th round draft pick, getting paid is very important to a guy like Goldson (vs. Willis and Davis).
Originally posted by thedude:
He's one of the harder hitting safeties in the league, and he does seem to be in the right place an awful lot which counts for something. But I'm not convinced his coverage skills and tackling make him a MUST HAVE guy next year. I have a feeling we could slot a number of other options, guys on our current roster or potential f/a's next year, into Goldson's spot not lose any ground at all. Personally I'd franchise Rogers if anyone just to make him prove this year wasn't a fluke.

He's always in the right place at the right time. That's NO SMALL THING. These guys are thinking you can just get any safety in the league and they will ALWAYS be in the right place at the right time. Well guess what we went 10 years without that or so. Now we have one. Why would you let him go?

And no not every safety is almost always in the right place at the right time.... Goldson is very good that what and that's what makes him special.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by BenQ:
fcuk no

every average safety can do what goldson can do.

haha, wow.....just wow.

if this were the case, they would not have brought back Goldson and stuck with your philosophy and used some of our average Safeties...I mean we have Reggie Smith and Medookie Williams.

Yeah. LOL. Pretty big dropoff there...
If they feel his is an important cog in the plan of the team and want him around, I think he'll be locked up. I think he NE rejection humbled him a bit - it'd be nice to have him resigned before the FA period begins.

Time will tell...

I bet the Pats regret that now... their secondary is an abomination!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
The safety who is "always in good position" had one....ONE pick last year in a CONTRACT YEAR. ONE.

He was SOOOOOOO good that nobody offered him the big money contract he was looking for. I'm all for resigning him, but if you ask me that may be a position we are looking to UPGRADE in the draft. The secondary is one of the 49ers few weaknesses....and Rogers ain't the problem.

Goldson has played well this year, no question, but Franchise Tag good? No freakin' way.

I'll grant you that the dropoff behind him is steep, but thats a reason to get better players behind him, not to overpay to resign him.
If I read one more comment about the "weakness" of our secondary I am going to punch a whole through my computer screen.

You can not have a defense as ELITE as ours and have a weak secondary. Goldson and Rogers are tied for 5th in the league in interceptions. How in the world could you say that any part of our defense is weak when they are only allowing 14 points a game? Weak compared to a historically good (one day legendary) front 7? Ok, I buy that. But seriously, every aspect of this defense is either very good or great! Infact, I'm suprised the secondary has held up as well as it has. You do realize that teams have absolutly no chance of run on us, right? What else can they do but throw the ball?

Please, this defense is SB caliber from head to toe.

Sorry Marv, this post really isn't directed at you, just against the fallicy that our secondary is weak.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Dashon Goldson: Age 27

Carlos Rogers: Age 30

Look at the #'s folks. I'd rather take the risk of an uncovered Rogers. He has 1 - 2 years of really good play left (Rogers). Goldson may have 5 - 6. He's an absolute ball hawk out there. He catches every tipped pass. He hits like a truck. His instincts and angles he takes are outstanding. The guy we can't afford to lose is GOLDSON!

Rogers says he wants to finish as a 49er. So I take that chance with a big contract over 3 years he may sign with us again anyway. We can't leave Goldson uncovered. We can't! Big dropoff in the back end without him.

Ted Ginn I think we can get to come back for a big "return man contract." We need him for field position.

Alex Smith has finally found the teacher he needs to continue to develop. Almost no way he wants to go to another team. I think he would be out of his mind to leave Harbaugh. So for a pretty good contract value I think he will come back.

These are the 4 guys I think we need to resign. But Goldson is by far the most dangerous to leave uncovered in FA. Discuss.

i dont agree with this part. he also has a tendency to tackle high
While I agree abut tagging Goldson over Rogers, based on financial, I think both must be kept.

Without Rogers, we have Brown and Spencer, I'd rather not have to sign or try to sign a #1 in FA, and draft a guy,

Goldson makes sense money wise, 6M compared to 10M for Rogers.
Originally posted by susweel:
I trust Baalke will make the proper decision.

this
I would be a little worried giving Goldson a big contract. He played like crap last year. Granted it is clear he is a better FS than SS but I just don't trust the guy. He has had some injury issues and I think he tanked last season because he did not want to get hurt going into free agency. It ended up hurting him and we got him on a cheap one year deal and now he certainly will get a big pay day. I do not want to lose him, but I would not give him more than a 3 or 4Yr deal at $7mill per (no more than a $10mill SB)

Carlos Rogers is having a pro bowl season and he would be a huge loss but I do not see him having another season like this year. Would be great to get him back at a 2yr, $12mill deal, around a $6mill SB but that probably won't happen.

Funny though, Rogers only had two teams really going after him this year (us and Carolina) and same with Goldson (us and New England) and now they will be two of the most highly sought after free agents.

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
While I agree abut tagging Goldson over Rogers, based on financial, I think both must be kept.

Without Rogers, we have Brown and Spencer, I'd rather not have to sign or try to sign a #1 in FA, and draft a guy,

But this is what people aren't getting here too. That's why Goldson makes more sense too. $6 million compared to $10 million and younger. Rogers will be 31 and getting $10 million a year. Do we really want to do that? I take my chances on getting him uncovered (Rogers). He said he wants to be here. Goldson will go if gets money.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I would be a little worried giving Goldson a big contract. He played like crap last year. Granted it is clear he is a better FS than SS but I just don't trust the guy. He has had some injury issues and I think he tanked last season because he did not want to get hurt going into free agency. It ended up hurting him and we got him on a cheap one year deal and now he certainly will get a big pay day. I do not want to lose him, but I would not give him more than a 3 or 4Yr deal at $7mill per (no more than a $10mill SB)

Carlos Rogers is having a pro bowl season and he would be a huge loss but I do not see him having another season like this year. Would be great to get him back at a 2yr, $12mill deal, around a $6mill SB but that probably won't happen.

Funny though, Rogers only had two teams really going after him this year (us and Carolina) and same with Goldson (us and New England) and now they will be two of the most highly sought after free agents.

Goldson didn't play like crap. He's always been pretty solid. He's always been a guy in the right position at the right time too.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
The safety who is "always in good position" had one....ONE pick last year in a CONTRACT YEAR. ONE.

He was SOOOOOOO good that nobody offered him the big money contract he was looking for. I'm all for resigning him, but if you ask me that may be a position we are looking to UPGRADE in the draft. The secondary is one of the 49ers few weaknesses....and Rogers ain't the problem.

Goldson has played well this year, no question, but Franchise Tag good? No freakin' way.

I'll grant you that the dropoff behind him is steep, but thats a reason to get better players behind him, not to overpay to resign him.
If I read one more comment about the "weakness" of our secondary I am going to punch a whole through my computer screen.

You can not have a defense as ELITE as ours and have a weak secondary. Goldson and Rogers are tied for 5th in the league in interceptions. How in the world could you say that any part of our defense is weak when they are only allowing 14 points a game? Weak compared to a historically good (one day legendary) front 7? Ok, I buy that. But seriously, every aspect of this defense is either very good or great! Infact, I'm suprised the secondary has held up as well as it has. You do realize that teams have absolutly no chance of run on us, right? What else can they do but throw the ball?

Please, this defense is SB caliber from head to toe.

Sorry Marv, this post really isn't directed at you, just against the fallicy that our secondary is weak.

I agree. I would not call our secondary weak. It's actually pretty damn good. Goldson and Rogers are both very good and will be highly coveted.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:

Time will tell...

I bet the Pats regret that now... their secondary is an abomination!

The Pats do wish they had him. LOL. Much better than what they got.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

But this is what people aren't getting here too. That's why Goldson makes more sense too. $6 million compared to $10 million and younger. Rogers will be 31 and getting $10 million a year. Do we really want to do that? I take my chances on getting him uncovered (Rogers). He said he wants to be here. Goldson will go if gets money.

I agree. Though I dont think Rogers will be 10M a yr, so that makes him easier to retain, where Goldson will be tougher.

Finally the league needs to take our secondary serious. Whitner was a huge upgrade, Rogers came in and playing lights out, while Goldson has always been solid. Even Brown has him great moments. Culliver is nice young guy to develop.

If we can keep both Rogers and Goldson, we would have a sick Secondary for a while.

I still think CB is a need, but if Rogers is retained, we have a solid 3 guys, Rogers, Brown and Culliver, then Holcomb i like alot, he will compete next yr.

Keep Goldson, whitner, then draft some depth behind them. Keep Spillman, and Jones for STs.
Share 49ersWebzone