There are 222 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
offer him the same contract as last year minus 1 year of course

His asking price is higher if he goes to the pro bowl and on a winning team with an elite defense.

Yeah. Some of these guys are so unrealistic....

goldson is playing behind the best front 7 in football and is doing well in what he's being asked to do (not get beat deep while providing over the top help) dont get it twisted in the open field he is a liability and he still takes bad angles. i'm happy he's here and all but he's had a whole lot of help around here to help him look good, put him on another team where they play a more risky scheme those missed tackles and bad angles become td's

i trust balke will not overpay
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
fcuk no

every average safety can do what goldson can do.
If Carlos Rodger is 31 next year we should franchise him. This will allow us to keep him in the tail end of his prime without committing long term. Goldston at 27 is he guy we should try sign to a long term deal.

His asking price is higher if he goes to the pro bowl and on a winning team with an elite defense.

goldson is playing behind the best front 7 in football and is doing well in what he's being asked to do (not get beat deep while providing over the top help) dont get it twisted in the open field he is a liability and he still takes bad angles. i'm happy he's here and all but he's had a whole lot of help around here to help him look good, put him on another team where they play a more risky scheme those missed tackles and bad angles become td's

Every good player has help around them. Goldson his a ballhawk who is always in good position. He seems to always be in the right place at the right time. There is a huge dropoff behind him at safety IMO. He can't be replaced that easily.
Originally posted by BenQ:
fcuk no

I don't see average safetys iw that many interceptions and big hits and always in the right position at the right time.
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
If Carlos Rodger is 31 next year we should franchise him. This will allow us to keep him in the tail end of his prime without committing long term. Goldston at 27 is he guy we should try sign to a long term deal.

Wish life was so jolly and easy. So Goldson is going to cooperate and let you sign him to a long term contract before the hitting the FA period or sign with us exclusively after the FA period and not consider other offers around the league which may be higher....
He's one of the harder hitting safeties in the league, and he does seem to be in the right place an awful lot which counts for something. But I'm not convinced his coverage skills and tackling make him a MUST HAVE guy next year. I have a feeling we could slot a number of other options, guys on our current roster or potential f/a's next year, into Goldson's spot not lose any ground at all. Personally I'd franchise Rogers if anyone just to make him prove this year wasn't a fluke.
SD i think you are trying to panic on purpose.

chill, he will stay and sign here.
Originally posted by BenQ:
fcuk no

haha, wow.....just wow.

if this were the case, they would not have brought back Goldson and stuck with your philosophy and used some of our average Safeties...I mean we have Reggie Smith and Medookie Williams.

Every good player has help around them. Goldson his a ballhawk who is always in good position. He seems to always be in the right place at the right time. There is a huge dropoff behind him at safety IMO. He can't be replaced that easily.

The safety who is "always in good position" had one....ONE pick last year in a CONTRACT YEAR. ONE.

He was SOOOOOOO good that nobody offered him the big money contract he was looking for. I'm all for resigning him, but if you ask me that may be a position we are looking to UPGRADE in the draft. The secondary is one of the 49ers few weaknesses....and Rogers ain't the problem.

Goldson has played well this year, no question, but Franchise Tag good? No freakin' way.

I'll grant you that the dropoff behind him is steep, but thats a reason to get better players behind him, not to overpay to resign him.

Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

My hope is that the Niners won't user the tag at all and can resign the guys they need to resign. None of the guys tho who are on one year deals are worth a franchise tag.

This.

Furthermore, there always seems to be a stigma attached to players that are tagged and resentment builds.

we have far too many free agents to not franchise somebody
An FT for Alex is probably more money than Balke is going to offer him. I think we could get Alex for 8 mil a yr.

The safety who is "always in good position" had one....ONE pick last year in a CONTRACT YEAR. ONE.

He was SOOOOOOO good that nobody offered him the big money contract he was looking for. I'm all for resigning him, but if you ask me that may be a position we are looking to UPGRADE in the draft. The secondary is one of the 49ers few weaknesses....and Rogers ain't the problem.

Goldson has played well this year, no question, but Franchise Tag good? No freakin' way.

I'll grant you that the dropoff behind him is steep, but thats a reason to get better players behind him, not to overpay to resign him.

Originally posted by crabman82:

My hope is that the Niners won't user the tag at all and can resign the guys they need to resign. None of the guys tho who are on one year deals are worth a franchise tag.

This.

Furthermore, there always seems to be a stigma attached to players that are tagged and resentment builds.

Pure, unadulterated BS.

NONE of them are worth the tag. NONE of them. They want to stay and can be signed for MUCH less than the tag would give them.
Originally posted by crabman82:

This.

Pure, unadulterated BS.

NONE of them are worth the tag. NONE of them. They want to stay and can be signed for MUCH less than the tag would give them.

i'm speaking in terms of keeping the team intact, theres too many guys to sign, u could always let someone walk and replace from within or a cheaper FA
Share 49ersWebzone