LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dang we were bashing this dude all over the place when he held out, I feel all guilty now.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
offer him the same contract as last year minus 1 year of course

lol if only it were that simple, all this wanting to be here stuff is cute, but its about money

Yeah. Cute. He will have to get paid this offseason. People want to be where the $$$$$$ is.

us normal people often dont get it, always here ppl say something like whats the difference between 26 and 33 million, the answer is 7 million and thats a lot of money, its often what these things come down to

Yeah if somebody offers you $26 million vs.$25.5 million at the place you want to play that's one thing. But $26 million vs. $33 million is a big difference. You would be a fool financially not to take that.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Dang we were bashing this dude all over the place when he held out, I feel all guilty now.

He is the real deal and we need him signed long term IMO.
Originally posted by horsecore:
Really hitting the happy pills hard today, huh SD?

Anyway, I'd be surprised if the tag is used on him. Goldson didn't generate a whole lot of interest through the abbreviated offseason (which was somewhat surprising) so I'm wondering if it will be any different this year - maybe it will be, but, dude needs to clean up some of his tackles and not always go for the big hits. It didn't matter much in the end but he whiffed on some tackles last night that needed to be made.

I know it's generally all about the money but it would be nice to see some players stick around as something special is being built here.

They are not going to stick around for that.

He is a ballhawk. He is always in the right position and takes the right angles. Those guys with instincts like that are hard to find. You can't teach that. Plus he is a vicious hitter. He's really a good football player and hugely important to our defense IMO.
Goldson has been playing well, but I still think he misses some tackles by going for the big hit and I know that Eric Davis agrees with me. I would like to keep him, but don't know if I would use the franchise tag.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
offer him the same contract as last year minus 1 year of course

lol if only it were that simple, all this wanting to be here stuff is cute, but its about money

Yeah. Cute. He will have to get paid this offseason. People want to be where the $$$$$$ is.

us normal people often dont get it, always here ppl say something like whats the difference between 26 and 33 million, the answer is 7 million and thats a lot of money, its often what these things come down to

Yeah if somebody offers you $26 million vs.$25.5 million at the place you want to play that's one thing. But $26 million vs. $33 million is a big difference. You would be a fool financially not to take that.

In NFL it's all about the guaranteed money and not the size of the contract (The years at the end of the contract are worthless unless he actually stays that long)
can't we franchise Alex instead? or is that not possible.

Dashon doesn't seem like a player that would take too kindly to a franchise tag, especially after he felt we jaded him this past offseason. Sure "Too Bad, so what", but imo that is just the reality of the situation.....and it could turn into a distraction leading up to and during the season. Heck he might even change the way he plays and tries to take care of himself, causing us some big plays. Either we let him walk, or we resign him. I don't think Alex would make that big of a deal of a tag. Besides I'd like to see more of Alex before signing him to a multi-year deal....then if there is obvious improvement during the season next year, we can give him the money he deserves.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM ]

Totally agree, he's a true definition of a ball hawk, and the way he hits is amazing.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Goldson has been playing well, but I still think he misses some tackles by going for the big hit and I know that Eric Davis agrees with me. I would like to keep him, but don't know if I would use the franchise tag.

A huge dropoff without him. Reggie Smith is nowhere near his level. The ballhawk play. The right angles and instincts. It seems he is NEVER out of position. I take my chances on a guy like that. I don't mind him going for the big hit once in a while. Roughing up the opposing team slows them down a bit. Not the worst thing.
Originally posted by horsecore:
Really hitting the happy pills hard today, huh SD?

Anyway, I'd be surprised if the tag is used on him. Goldson didn't generate a whole lot of interest through the abbreviated offseason (which was somewhat surprising) so I'm wondering if it will be any different this year - maybe it will be, but, dude needs to clean up some of his tackles and not always go for the big hits. It didn't matter much in the end but he whiffed on some tackles last night that needed to be made.

I know it's generally all about the money but it would be nice to see some players stick around as something special is being built here.

They are not going to stick around for that.

He is a ballhawk. He is always in the right position and takes the right angles. Those guys with instincts like that are hard to find. You can't teach that. Plus he is a vicious hitter. He's really a good football player and hugely important to our defense IMO.

If they feel his is an important cog in the plan of the team and want him around, I think he'll be locked up. I think he NE rejection humbled him a bit - it'd be nice to have him resigned before the FA period begins.

Time will tell...

Totally agree, he's a true definition of a ball hawk, and the way he hits is amazing.

I agree 100%. And these guys aren't being realistic. Those guys with those instincts don't grow on trees. We have one. Don't let him go.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Dashon doesn't seem like a player that would take too kindly to a franchise tag, especially after he felt we jaded him this past offseason. Sure "Too Bad, so what", but imo that is just the reality of the situation.....and it could turn into a distraction leading up to and during the season. Heck he might even change the way he plays and tries to take care of himself, causing us some big plays. Either we let him walk, or we resign him. I don't think Alex would make that big of a deal of a tag. Besides I'd like to see more of Alex before signing him to a multi-year deal....then if there is obvious improvement during the season next year, we can give him the money he deserves.

As asinine as it sounds to use the tag on Alex Smith, I do agree with the thinking as signing him to a long term deal makes me nervous. LOL.
F*CK NO!!!

I didn't even LIKE the guy last year. The safeties behind him are far worse, I'll give you that, but thats a reason to get better backup safeties, not to franchise a guy who doesn't deserve the designation.

My hope is that the Niners won't user the tag at all and can resign the guys they need to resign. None of the guys tho who are on one year deals are worth a franchise tag.

I'd also resign a corner over a safety any day of the week.

...and none of this even speaks to the fact that he was missing tackles all over the place last night. I'm onboard with resigning him, but franchise tag!?! No way.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 20, 2011 at 5:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Alex I think will resign here anyway. Would he really leave Harbaugh and this team after all of this? That's why he is less dangerous to leave untagged. Goldson on the other hand is dangerous to leave unprotected in FA. Tag Goldson and I think we can get both back.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

My hope is that the Niners won't user the tag at all and can resign the guys they need to resign. None of the guys tho who are on one year deals are worth a franchise tag.

This.

Furthermore, there always seems to be a stigma attached to players that are tagged and resentment builds.
[ Edited by horsecore on Dec 20, 2011 at 5:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone